• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Overwatch

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:43 AM
-->
Did anyone play the beta? Are you planning on purchasing it?

A few of the characters could probably use a buff and Blizzard needs to make different PotG criteria but other than that I found it wholly enjoyable.

I am curious how they will be supporting the game with new content and what the price system will be for the ingame items considering the $40 price tag.

I don't know if I have a favorite yet but I played McCree (It's Haah noon), Lucio, DVa, and Mercy the most.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:43 AM
-->
Did anyone play the beta? Are you planning on purchasing it?

A few of the characters could probably use a buff and Blizzard needs to make different PotG criteria but other than that I found it wholly enjoyable.

I am curious how they will be supporting the game with new content and what the price system will be for the ingame items considering the $40 price tag.

I think the idea of the game is pretty smart if I'm being honest. I've never played it and probably won't but I think the game has a good chance of succeeding. If I was better mechanically, I would probably be giving this game a shot, but I am not too good that way so I think I'll pass.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:13 PM
-->
I played it, sucked at it, loved it.

It's a great game, it's going to make Blizzard a lot of money. It pretty obviously borrows from Team fortress etc., and I find the characters themselves kind of obnoxious, but the gameplay is brilliant. It will be well supported too. I think I'll buy it.

My favourite characters are Genji, Mae, Junkrat, Reinhart and Roadhog (from a mechanical perspective). My best character is Dva by far. I don't shoot good, so sucking up damage and disrupting backlines is my most effective role.

I hate Bastion with a passion.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I think the idea of the game is pretty smart if I'm being honest. I've never played it and probably won't but I think the game has a good chance of succeeding. If I was better mechanically, I would probably be giving this game a shot, but I am not too good that way so I think I'll pass.

I played it, sucked at it, loved it.

It's a great game, it's going to make Blizzard a lot of money. It pretty obviously borrows from Team fortress etc., and I find the characters themselves kind of obnoxious, but the gameplay is brilliant. It will be well supported too. I think I'll buy it.
Its potential probably owes a lot to their success with WoW which I haven't played myself but I can clearly see the team based rpg elements. It does borrow from tf2 but in the end I think Overwatch really puts it to shame. I don't miss random crits, narrow passages, or team collision.

My favourite characters are Genji, Mae, Junkrat, Reinhart and Roadhog (from a mechanical perspective). My best character is Dva by far. I don't shoot good, so sucking up damage and disrupting backlines is my most effective role.

I found it weird that I could take on more players with DVa out of the mecha, her handgun is much more powerful.

Bastion is super op on defense.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Yeah her damage with that gun is pretty crazy. I don't think that she's more powerful in that form (she's just like a weaker tracer without the mobility), but because you can get in position with the mecha health pool and abilities, then suddenly change your effective range and damage while you've got them out of position and their abilities are on CD, she can get quite scary.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:43 PM
-->
Robots kick ass :D

I haven't played it yet but I'm guessing I'd main Widowmaker, a lot of the special abilities will likely have range/positioning/time limitations, a bullet to the cranium has none of these and her special abilities all seem to be exactly what a sniper would want (mobility, target acquisition, flanking denial).

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
She's pretty solid. I find that in pub stomp games, the matches are all heavily objective focused, and if you lack coordination with your team it can be difficult to have enough impact with her? That's probably just my terrible accuracy though. She's is strong, and is of increasing value when the objective is distal to your opponents respawn. Also you are constantly over-run with tracers XD

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:43 PM
-->
Haha I see on the website Bastion's turret shield is gone, I remember seeing that in a video and thinking it was pretty OP if he's set up in a corner.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:43 PM
-->
@Hado

How are your thoughts if you have any, of this being a possible esport? What kind of potential do you think this has? I've seen some of the gameplay and I feel like they could take this to the limelight if they maneuver publicity well.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Well I'm not particularly well read in this respect, but I think the key points would be:
- it's a good game that appeals to multiple demographics
- it's a blizzard game meaning it's going to be marketed well
- it's got the team mechanics and technical skill ceiling to leave space for pro-gaming
- it's got the team element (e-sports are improved by team elements)
- similar games that have enjoyed esport status include counterstike and mobas (again with the multiple demographics)
- it's integrated with other popular games (cos blizzard), meaning people that play any blizzard game will have exposure

So the potential's there. Would I be interested in watching it as an esport? Not really. I find it pretty boring to watch other people's games unless the primary focus is strategy. I can watch RTS for days, but mobas less so, and shooters almost not at all. I would find it more appealing if there was good support for presenting it in a strategic light, which isn't out of the question, but from the casts I've seen on youtube it seems repetitive with little real decision making. People are pushing objectives all day, or defending all day, with mostly the same characters. There's finesse there but so much comes down to who shoots gooder. I'm not sure if my perception would generalise, so I'd refer you to the more objective bullet points above :)

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Yeah I think your points were on point. I didn't realize people were casting this already, geez that's fast. I'm guessing a meta hasn't really developed yet, from the looks of things.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:43 PM
-->
Purchased it today. If anyone in Aus wants to play add me on battlenet.

Necro#12481

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
You can come play with darthpunk and I.

Gopher too if he stops being a cripple.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Anyone in NA?

Phantom#14331

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Overwatch just ended League of Legend's hegemony in Korea. http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2016/06/123_207359.html

Not sure what's included in the 'market' they refer to in the article, but I'm guessing it's the market of the games they allow you to play at the internet cafes. LoL has 29.17% while Overwatch just overtook them at 29.36%, as of this friday.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
People playing competitive yet?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I keep wafting around rank 45, I feel like giving up though cause too many people don't know how to adapt their hero picks or can only play with one hero. Or they take it personally and leave when you ask them to switch.

The game still has an fps drop problem and frequent disconnects and crashes. Additionally the staff is not pursuing a higher tickrate, smaller hurtboxes, and fixing other netcode latency issues, which really discourages clutch plays.

Also my mouse left click is fucking up.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I want to play competitive but they need to fix a few ranked exp issues first, particularly for support players. It seems that people are rated based on the average champion skill not just wins and losses. (kinda like CS:GO but worse) Unfortunately that means if you have a high level team that's wining the support won't get as much healing done and will end up a lower rank. Particularly if you're running double support. It makes sense for the DPS classes and even tanks to an extent just not for supports. The support players for C9 and teams are complaining because even if you play every game together the DPS end up about 10 ranks higher. (at the extreme end) Also effects general players iirc but maybe not to the same extent.

I also need to wait for my neck and spine to recover.

What do you mostly play ESC?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
My mouse is screwy so I'm only playing quickplay atm, I'm good with with winston, soldier and pharah.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
The points about ranked seem consistent, I'm at 68 and a friend who plays support is at 61. Seems to just give you a bonus for doing damage/elims more than anything.

It's pretty hard to balance though because the game itself has a tonne of variables. If it just went off wins/losses it'd be better imo.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I'm looking for a temporary competitive team of 3-5 players. I managed to make it to 59, currently 55. I'd like to hit at least 60 before the season ends for the 200 comp point bonus. It should take less than 10 games with constant wins.

Can play:
>>>winston, pharah, yatta, soldier
>>mcree, rein, lucio, dva
>else
no: widow, hanjo, tracer, sym

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 4:43 AM
-->
Pretty fun game, enjoyed competitive for a while. I made it my goal to hit masters, after I got to it I just kinda stoppped caring for it. /shrug

I only ever solo queued. After a while I learned what you have to do to win. If you really want to win, you just have to bow to the demands of your teammates and kiss their asses so they don't tilt. Not too appealing.

Top Bottom