• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why don't men watch TV?

CmdrShepN7

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:55 AM
-->
I do recall hearing a friend who is a college professor back in 2014 say the reason why there are no more shows like BSG, Firefly, Farscape, etc. is because more women than men watch TV. I took that at face value but if it that is the case than why have red blooded American men shunned TV as well as intellect and imagination?

How have red blooded American men lost their fascination of space and space dogfights?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 2:55 AM
-->
This is an international forum.

I haven't watched tv since high school, personally, which is like a decade and a half ago.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 11:55 AM
-->
Life lost its luster. When I was 20 I felt I needed to accomplish something with my life. Not just relax after school/work but make something. Improve the world as a real-life inventer. Seeing others accomplish things gave no satisfaction. I wanted to accomplish something. Plus I had severe anxiety. Its been 13 years and I still am trying.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 6:55 PM
-->
Men watch TV a lot as far as I can tell, and a huge ammount of programs are made for them. Source please.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 7:55 PM
-->
If u are watching anime, shows on netflix, yt stuff u are watching tv. Just now it's on demand.

Morrow

Dragonmaster
Local time
Today 12:55 PM
-->
I'm a guy and I watch tv quite a bit. Not as much as I used to, because of school and such, but I still watch a lot of shows and such

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
Actual cable television is polluted with overly dramatic fake BS. Why would I watch something on tv, when its not exactly what I want, or educational, and you end up watching ads, longer than your show.
mindless people watch cable tv, or use it as background noise.(background noise isnt mindless, its probably just a sign of how overstimulated we are as a generation, that we like constant noise.) Listening to people say lots of words, and actually share nothing of value, makes me want to blow my head off. woman on the radio told me to stay home and wash my hands multiple times per day. No I don't think I will, thanks for the common sense lecture.

no thanks I will watch youtube and learn any skill I want in 4 hours.
I learned to rebuild cars, and now cobbling, instead I could know what kim kardashian is doing, or why the top chiefs beat the other chiefs, or maybe I would have a new vacuum I dont need, or spent hours hearing the same ad, campaigning against a virus with a death rate below .5%

Cable television isnt even free, and its absolutely horrible compared to yt, or audiobooks, or playing with sticks.
I dont know a single intelligent person that watches tv. TV appeals to drama, and scripted "limited time to do x, or x will be mad at us".

I would rather pay not to have to watch it, than be paid to watch it.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
watching tv is essentially being spoon fed trash, I would at least like to pick the trash I consume, kthnx.

Morrow

Dragonmaster
Local time
-->
I dont know a single intelligent person that watches tv. TV appeals to drama, and scripted "limited time to do x, or x will be mad at us".
There are plenty of intelligent people who watch television. There are beneficial things that can be watched on cable television, though platforms such as Netflix or Hulu prove much more useful, as there you have complete control on what you wish to watch.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
I said I dont know any, I didnt say there arent any. The "educational" things on tv are extremely shallow and dont show the actual process, its not super useful. Maybe you know a little about the process, but thats not super helpful when you dont have the info to fill those gaps. tv doesnt compare to actual educational videos, not even close. At the end of the day, tv is meant to be entertaining, not educational.
You want random surface knowledge and shitloads of gaps in your understanding? tv
want an actual viable understanding? yt
watching tv is essentially being spoon fed trash, I would at least like to pick the trash I consume, kthnx.
This sums it up entirely, the rest was unnecessary

Morrow

Dragonmaster
Local time
-->
The "educational" things on tv are extremely shallow and dont show the actual process, its not super useful. Maybe you know a little about the process, but thats not super helpful when you dont have the info to fill those gaps. tv doesnt compare to actual educational videos, not even close. At the end of the day, tv is meant to be entertaining, not educational.
True, tv programs often lack a lot of depth to them as they are more concerned with giving a large overview of the topic on hand, but at the same time it can still spark an interest in something you may never have decided to look into before. So I would not say that tv entirely is trash, as it can serve a purpose in the sense of sparking interest. At the same time though, if you are looking to just add tidbits to your knowledge depository tv will accomplish this fairly well, but tbf, no one wants just little tidbits if you are an actual knowledge lover.

Deleted member 1424

Based on all the very accessible google results, men generally watch more tv than women.

Old folk watch the most.

Morrow

Dragonmaster
Local time
-->
Based on all the very accessible google results, men generally watch more tv than women.

Old folk watch the most.
Well if you think about how most old folk tend to stay at home indoors, it would make sense for them to watch the most tv.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
1 hour reading a book is always more info than one hour of tv. Tv in terms of education is junk food with no fiber. Tv feels good, but has low nutritional value. Does not mean you wont feel satiated.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
One thing I forgot to mention that TV gives visuals that no book can match in description.
There is no way to describe beauty of nature. So nature docs are unique to TV or internet. I don't regret watching any of those, but while it can give you unique visual learning experience the information on biology is always surface level.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 8:55 PM
-->
try turning it off and on again, or check the batteries. sport sport sport, war simulation sans the primal bliss of hearts ripped from torsos, the sands painted dark crimson

or sail the free seas with a jolly-jolly gapped smile while swigging that foulest of rums which rots yer gums

whatever floats yer catamaran

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:55 AM
-->
TV is a dying media, like radio it will never completely go away but it can't compete with the "everything everywhere all of the time" that the internet offers. It's a downward spiral, less people watching TV means less demand for TV advertisements, less advertising revenue means less money to produce quality content, a diminishing quality of content is accelerating the loss of viewers as there's more/better quality content online.

Old people are a reliable audience, sitcoms and soaps (cue the zoomer asking me what those are) scratch that itch for socialization without actually having to go out and meet people, which can be difficult for someone whose back hurts, who isn't in the workforce, and who needs to be within 5min of a toilet at all times.

Women's content is generally cheaper to produce because they enjoy watching social conflict, all you need is some people, a camera and a context for drama and there you go a successful show.

Men however want actual conflict which is why they like sports, all conflict, no messy interpersonal emotions to get in the way. But this is more expensive to produce, not only do you need people and a camera you also need those people to be doing something potentially dangerous and that means insurance. With insurance comes an onsite safety officer of some sort and they'll dictate all kinds of safety measures that need to be taken, which costs more money.

Why make an episode of Dr Who or Firefly or Stargate that requires a ton of background actors and props and special effects when something like Masterchef costs less to make and gets more views? The only reason TV studios cater to male audiences at all is that women are social creatures, they don't just want to watch a show they want to watch it with their partner. So TV studios create shows that are primarily to appeal to women but are still tolerable for men to watch, Masterchef (or your regional equivalent) works well because men like food so learning how to cook something is at least mildly interesting to them.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
My guess is the future are cheap vr head sets and immersive saga games with interactive models to add dopaminum. My guess is actors have their golden era over. Apple should lead the way. Although I both like witcher game and netflix series. Its only few steps from Star Trek holodeck. Cinema will have go 4D with digimon generation being born right now.

Top Bottom