• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why knowing how to handle people could be bad for you.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
We've all been in situations where people made life difficult. You bf or gf starts an argument, a guy buges ahead of you at the dmv, your kids don't agree with your reasons ect. Knowing how to handle these situations is great... most of the time. The truth is there is a darker side to knowing how to handle people, at least, for people who it doesn't come natural to.

I'm not going to get into all the different methods of how to handle people, that's not my goal here. I just want to give my perspective in how I handle people and how it has recently been affecting me in a negative way.

I am the type of person who is naturally blunt, curt, and even a jerk. I got sent to the principal's office on more than one occasion for basically demolishing someones self esteem. To make a long story short, i learned that it is not ok to do that so I had to make behavioral changes so I didn't come off so cut throat and abrasive. I learned that when you treat people like dirt, they feel like dirt. I've been treated like dirt before and I know I don't like it. So while my natural tendencies are to be an asshole, I learned that the golden rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto yourself" was more important to me than being a jerk. I also learned something else from these nice little sayings you hear as kids "give respect, get respect". With the knowledge of these two things I realized that I needed to change my behavior -stop being a jerk because some people are just more sensitive than you are

So, why do I tell you this? Well because I have found that I get treated a lot better now than I use to be treated. It came at a slow pace. I started thinking more about how I would feel if I said that really clever insult to that idiot - I put myself in their shoes. But lately I feel like its been more and more of a drag being nice to people. There have been some situations where I didn't couldn't and wouldn't have the liberty to be as good hearted as I imagined a well acting human being would do. You see I have essentially set myself up for failure by treating people good all the time. I overcompensated. I started to think confrontation is always bad and must be avoided at all costs.

Anyways to get to the real point of this conundrum. It is getting to be a real chore to be nice to people all the time. Its having an effect on my psyche that I don't like. Because I have realized that my respect for people is not infinite I have come to the well thought out conclusion that sometimes its better to not give a shit and just say what's on your mind. TBH, I'm at the point now where I get a little angry when I have to deal with someone who is such a delicate flower that I have to be sooo careful not to damage any petals.

Its not hard for me to admit my natural tendencies are to be mean, we are predators after all and I'm sure it comes natural to be an asshole for many people. The difference between them and me is that I put an insurmountable amount of effort into not being judgemental, being nice and overall, just a nice and caring person. So while the majority of assholes out there never give a second thought to holding in their need to laugh at someone incessantly, I have, and I have realized that its sometimes ok to be an asshole or at least just someone who doesn't give a shit about stepping on ants.

All this said, I can't imagine how INTJ or ENTJ psychologists must feel about having to be understanding all the time, I bet they feel pretty angry sometimes.

Anyways, that's all I really wanted to say. Had to get that off my chest because it was bugging the shit out of me.

/rant

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 5:47 PM
-->
Dayum son u got sent 2 da popo's offis u a gangsta yo #thuglyf~~~~~

Being nice to people when you secretly don't like them isn't "handling people" it's just being smarmy. If you don't want to be nice you can just not talk to them as opposed to forcing some facade of being nice and respectful.

You're basically describing going from one extreme where you initially have no social grace to forcing social grace.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Dayum son u got sent 2 da popo's offis u a gangsta yo #thuglyf

I also beat the shit out of a kind when I was like 10... at church.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
It's okay no one here is recruiting for a gang so the resume isn't really necessary.

EDIT: nvm there's probably multiple people recruiting for gangs.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Yes, forcing social grace.. good way to put it.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
It's okay no one here is recruiting for a gang so the resume isn't really necessary.

EDIT: nvm there's probably multiple people recruiting for gangs.

Why the change?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:47 AM
-->
I'd say that if you are willing to put your efforts into being nice then other people should follow along unless they definitely do not like you. No need to crash the party, just be selective with those people who have the same respect as you do for them. If that is not possible then you around certain people to accomplish a goal you cannot achieve yourself. Just look at who is ready to go the extra mile with you. If a person is being annoying you may as well say that it would be more constructive to do what needs to be done and ask why you are together in the first place. That is as far as I can go. I always try to be the first person initiate respect. That is all you can do. This has created for me a mutual trust between the people I know. It does not have to be a facade. I go along with people as who I am. I do not hide anything, I just try to find non judgmental people to build trust. It is no good being vulnerable around people who break that trust. In life you need to meet other people halfway. People will not see you as a pushover but as someone who understands responsibility.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'd say that if you are willing to put your efforts into being nice then other people should follow along unless they definitely do not like you. No need to crash the party, just be selective with those people who have the same respect as you do for them. If that is not possible then you around certain people to accomplish a goal you cannot achieve yourself. Just look at who is ready to go the extra mile with you. If a person is being annoying you may as well say that it would be more constructive to do what needs to be done and ask why you are together in the first place. That is as far as I can go. I always try to be the first person initiate respect. That is all you can do. This has created for me a mutual trust between the people I know. It does not have to be a facade. I go along with people as who I am. I do not hide anything, I just try to find non judgmental people to build trust. It is no good being vulnerable around people who break that trust. In life you need to meet other people halfway. People will not see you as a pushover but as someone who understands responsibility.

See this is interesting because its the very foundation of what morals are built upon. Its a cornerstone concept in the way our society as humans should be run. That I will give you something and you will give me something of equal value. Unfortunately there are things that are ultimately out of our control and there will likely (within the human species) always be people who break the social contract in endeavors of peace and harmony. In a way it all seems like an endeavor of futility, but I do believe it is better to give an effort rather than say to hell with it because once you go down that road there is no going back.

Civility is one of man's greatest inventions and it should go without saying that we would not have the cities, governments and establishments that we have today without a certain degree of cooperation. But I still have to ask if cooperation and co dependency or, dare I say simply dependency is worth the effort of a universal government where everything is tied together. No doubt if such a day comes its likely to be on a shoestring budget because at the point where earth can get their act together, as humans (if we are still human that is) we may very well be scarce because we will have nary a pot to piss in in terms of resources on earth. But who knows, maybe within the next half a millennia humans will learn to make peace and evolve a kind of peace seeking part of the brain as opposed to this primitive need for competition.

emmabobary

*snore*
Local time
Today 3:47 AM
-->
Geez, too much fuzz^^

-Just save yourself, kill them all.
-Or maybe you don´t know if you can save yourself. And maybe that´s just fine

(Hannibal spam time!)
:cat::cat::phear::phear:

..........everything is in your mind. Your worst enemy is yourself.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Being nice to people when you secretly don't like them isn't "handling people" it's just being smarmy. If you don't want to be nice you can just not talk to them as opposed to forcing some facade of being nice and respectful.

You're basically describing going from one extreme where you initially have no social grace to forcing social grace.

Pretty much, you could try just hanging around people you want to be nice to and having the minimum socially acceptable behavior towards the rest because how else are you going find out who you want to be nice to.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Pretty much, you could try just hanging around people you want to be nice to and having the minimum socially acceptable behavior towards the rest because how else are you going find out who you want to be nice to.

Could you explain how having the minimum socially acceptable behavior towards the rest of the people you don't want to be nice to helps you figure out who to be nice to?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:17 PM
-->
Is it really just being smarmy when you try to limit the damage to others?

I mean, I'm basically Freddie Fewfucks over here, but I'm gentle to most. I don't lather you up if I'm not a fan, but if I spoke my mind every-time there was something on my mind I'd be a right prick. Not talking to people can be difficult when you work with them, or they're your family, or they're a friend's SO.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Could you explain how having the minimum socially acceptable behavior towards the rest of the people you don't want to be nice to helps you figure out who to be nice to?

Because if you're a jerk to everyone everyone will just hate you. But if you're nice to everyone you will run into people you truly like.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 8:47 AM
-->
I really don't have this problem. I guess if someone really pisses me off I tell them, but I've probably been avoiding them socially or being cold around them, so I don't need to insult them outright, they have left my social sphere. It would take a lot for me to destroy someone's self esteem. I wonder what it takes to annoy you?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I really don't have this problem. I guess if someone really pisses me off I tell them, but I've probably been avoiding them socially or being cold around them, so I don't need to insult them outright, they have left my social sphere. It would take a lot for me to destroy someone's self esteem. I wonder what it takes to annoy you?

I don't really dislike anyone. I just don't like it when people do certain things..

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Because if you're a jerk to everyone everyone will just hate you. But if you're nice to everyone you will run into people you truly like.

Let me phase it this way: how does mediocrity become something better?

Top Bottom