• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Health Subforum

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Tomorrow 12:03 AM
-->
I am writing to suggest that a subform be created for health - one that may focus on medicine or other interdisciplines.

Articles and topics could be posted that would be focused on health and wellbeing.

After looking over the forum, I am somewhat surprised that a subforum doesn't exist on health... :confused:

Thank you for your consideration.

Lydia

What?
Local time
Today 11:03 PM
-->
I am relishing that idea.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
-->
Here's my vote.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
Is there an administrator or moderator that will comment on the merit of this idea?

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I'm not an admin, but I can give you a probable answer.

Being that this is mostly a general discussion forum in practice, a balance between concision and specificity needs to be stricken. Topics about medicine, strictly speaking fit under an already existing sub forum of science. Furthermore, you'd need to have a good number of topics which are sufficiently different so as they don't fit under the existing sub form, and need a more specific one, otherwise making a subforum for them would add clutter to the forum layout.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
If that were the case, why is neuroscience listed with psychology?

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
As the "neuroscience" is only part of the title, but an actual subforum, I'm going to venture a guess it was in an effort to define psychology as not only a philosophical discipline, but also tie it into disciplines such as neuropsychiatry.

That said, I started thinking about whether it'd be useful to separate Science and Technology into their own subforums...

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I would venture to say more than 80% of topics in the science subforum are not related to medicine. That being said, creating a subforum for something as large and important as medicine seems the logical choice.

I believe there is a great amount of medical literature that could prove beneficial to the health of forum members.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
Considering the number of categories now, and efforts needed to perhaps reduce the clutter, can you suggest a more logical arrangement of boards that could include Health? I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I think a whole subforum can be created just as when I recommended that the online test subforum be created. If anything, I think some posts in psychology/neurology and science/technology would fit better into a medicine subforum.

:confused:

I'm not sure how creating a subforum makes clutter. If anything, it organizes what was put into another forum with a loose label association.

Given that it is medical, I think it would make sense to put it into the inner sanctum.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
Placing it in the inner sanctum sounds appealing, but with any addition there would be lots of threads to sort and move... and where do you draw the line between psychological issues and health? Someone has to actually read and categorise threads in order to move them - it takes time.

I'm not denying it could be a better classification, but we're underpowered at the moment, and trying to rectify that. Can you be patient as grow a few more staff in the cloning pods?

Then we might hear a few more opinions/ideas.

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
Today 7:03 PM
-->
I think the main point is that not a lot of people talk about health, so a health subforum wouldn't be filled with much. My vote is 'meh'.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I think the main point is that not a lot of people talk about health, so a health subforum wouldn't be filled with much. My vote is 'meh'.

Healthcare is one of the foremost issues in the modern world besides the current recession.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I see interest expressed by others already. It is a good idea.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
Anyway, could you state what sort of content did you envision occupying the subforum?

Theoretical discussion of medical science, advice threads, nutrition and supplementation?

As you mention we have a handful of threads on drugs (legal and illegal) which might find their place in a subforum like that, however there is a problem in drawing the line between psychiatry/psychology and medicine.

So, do you have any ideas about that?

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Hrm .

I don't like the idea of yet more classifications to scroll through.

Personal or general health topics are kinda hard to come by, and I don't like forums with a ton of unnecessary labelling. (Just look at the nightmare of the INFJ forum;-;)

Aren't the dozen or so health topics better kept under the vague umbrella of science?

I don't like the idea of a 'Healthcare' forum as it might attract a horde of personals with people asking questions they ought to be posing to a doctor.
However, if it's just neatly tucked away and used as a means of storage, I don't see why not.:P

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
Since there is no other place that really includes health and medicine, it would make sense to make a sub forum. But the issue is (as has been stated previously) the potential lack of intrest.

We should have a poll. If it seems worthwhile to enough people, why not have one?

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
If there were a health forum, someone would have to write up a disclaimer to the effects of " do not use this as a substitute for medical advice" Even forums specifically for medicals students/ physicians often have such a disclaimer.

I am undecided on the subject. It sounds appealing, yet I don't know if the cost/ benefit justifies it.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
Health

Anyway, could you state what sort of content did you envision occupying the subforum?

Theoretical discussion of medical science, advice threads, nutrition and supplementation?

As you mention we have a handful of threads on drugs (legal and illegal) which might find their place in a subforum like that, however there is a problem in drawing the line between psychiatry/psychology and medicine.

So, do you have any ideas about that?

I will post my thoughts. It will take time, but I will do so now.

What should the health forum be for the posters on INTPforum?

We are consumers of healthcare resources, and it is in our own best interests to be involved and aware of available resources.

I think that topics could include (but are not limited to):

1. Evidence based guidelines for disease states developed by major health agencies
2. Information about insurance
3. Articles that are disseminated through lay media/topics of interest
4. Medication
5. Non-drug treatment strategies for health (including stress reduction/relaxation techniques)

I think that topics that should not be covered include:
1. Illegal drugs
2. Advice

I think that both could represent the possibility of liability on the part of the forum (especially when giving out advice - the point is to not have people coming to the forum looking for healthcare advice. Member influx should be based on this being an INTP forum.)

I think that most of the threads will be academically based or to provide information on something that will be relevant to posters (and will hopefully bring immediate benefit to them).

Prevention strategies could also be included to targeted portions of the forum's age groups. Threads have been done before on different age groups.

I also think a disclaimer should be added that the information is provided on an 'as is' basis. Things in healthcare change, and information can become outdated. That is one large challenge that I see associated with providing information to posters here (over a long period of time).

Even though information is being provided, it remains up to each person to take personal responsibility for their health and health information. This isn't about being a health educator.

The point is to encourage discussion and have participation.

I have nothing more to add to discussion. Please do not expect an answer from future posts.

Jah

Mu.
Local time
-->

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Hrm...

I'm not sure what your motivations are Ty, but your aspirations seem a bit grand.

This is a general discussion forum centred around Typology, not a medical forum, nor a service of any kind.

I don't think we owe our members any sort of health provision, nor do I think we have the motivation or means to provide it. We aren't a support group by anyones standards.

Medical professionals are busy being medical professionals, or you know... posting on actual Healthcare forums. Surely if there are any such people here, they're here for the particular purpose of exploring something outside their profession.:P

I don't think we should be trying to be a 'Supermarket' of discussion, providing all aspects and avenues of discussions in cheap, artificial flavours. Rather we should aspire to be a quality purveyor of a particular area of discussion, with infrequent deviations that often still relate to the INTP type and typology.

We are a niche market and I'd like us to remain one.

Similarly, there are plenty of official, more reliable services out there which achieve the aims you propose and more, without having to sift through the unnecessary and shuffle through members who can give good advice and those who can't.

So, er...yeah.

That's my opinion on the matter.

Requires a lot of work and maintenance, yet is ultimately redundant.

downsowf

Local time
-->
^ nicely put. The health forum will naturally turn into medical advice rantings from people who have no idea (including myself) about effective methods that should be personally treated by a medical professional. From what I've noticed, it would be unrealistic for someone on the INTP forum to limit their postings based on allowable topics (i.e. illegal drugs and advice).

I'm also not sure how popular it will be. I know for me, personally, the last thing I want to hear is how I need to become more healthy or choose to live an active lifestyle while I'm typing away on my computer, sitting on my couch.

Another thing I will probably despise about a Health sub forum is the pseudo-crackpot-holistic methods that will be dispersed.

Most of the sub-forums here promote the exchange of opinions and playful arguments. That's what I love about this forum.

Having people exchange their opinions on something as important as medicine and health is a very dangerous game to play. One person's bad opinion or one crackpot article posted might convince that ONE person to not use traditional methods; therefore, not receiving the proper treatment or seeking the correct medical professional.

It's sort of like having a law sub forum. Everybody likes to think they know everything about the law and the criminal justice system. Non-lawyers liberally give out wrong information about the right course of action, and people are idiotic enough to listen to these non-professionals. The same applies for medical/health advice.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
After reading melkor's post, I have come to the conclusion that a health sub forum is not needed on intpforum.

I thank the administration for their time and consideration in the matter.

Top Bottom