• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP personality as kids?

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:55 AM
-->
What was your personality like when you were a kid? Mine was extremely extroverted. I'm the complete opposite now. Its so annoying when famil visits and is like 'what happened to you, i remember you being so friendly as a kid'. I was probably ENTP or something. rip to old me.
:rip:

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 7:55 PM
-->
i was into my little special interests, memorizing huge amounts of data, daydreaming up fantasy worlds, making thought experiments, building lego stuff all day every day which i guess was my predominant Ti activity. i had a strong attraction to data which has vanished over the years. i would count the lego pieces in my designs (and argue back and forth how i should count two small pieces substituting a lacking intended larger one), memorize hundreds of dinosaur genera, song lengths etc. - heavy Si connotations. very shy, ugly, awkward kid. afraid, inhibited, ashamed. plenty of excruciating night terrors. wrote many and long stories, cared a lot about language in general.

the legos were sometimes sorted (utility, powah) and sometimes not (marvel, discovery).

i was adept in perceiving micro-worlds in material reality. like putting a rug over my legs and perceive it as a landscape. with dinosaurs.

i was deeply fascinated with electronic music from an early age.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 11:55 AM
-->
Most children are extroverts until the age of six at least. Even and especially the INTP's, from four samples I know of (myself, my son, a friends INTP son and another old INTP friend). The reason should be obvious, early childhood is about learning and integrating with the world, so even the introverts come out. From this I disagree with some who say the Functional stack develops downwards. It does for extraverted types, but introverts seem to need to use their auxiliary very early to engage with the world. And in fact young INTP's come off as very intuitive, you can see the little idea conceptualizers.

Local time
Today 6:55 PM
-->
I was extroverted and wild as a kid and that didn't change until my last two years of highschool. Also, I had no sense of danger which my parents found odd, and was notably less attached to my parents compared to most kids.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I always struggled with friends, my mom pushed me to talk with others and shit.
I was really into homework and school stuff, really self disciplined.
I loved to draw dragon ball characters and things in general.
My calligraphy was really bad (like every letter was pointing towards some side, different sizes, etc) so my parents had to use some instructor to teach me how to writte in a more normal way.
I liked to smell glue and eat it when they gave us it to do typical crafts, i remember one ocassion when the teacher was so upset with me that she picked me up through my ear and got me out the class so she could shout at me.
I used to break coca cola glass bottles in the park where every kid was playing, that upset teachers as well.

ma(dy)ma(dx)

imagine...
Local time
Today 7:55 PM
-->
I agree with architect.
Though some kids are really very introverted* even from the ground up. Si-Te maybe, if we are to use the C.G. framework? Nah.
There are many different factors.

*as in: not that talkactive if at all, mostly spending time in their heads or using tools like pen and paper or a computer to go even deeper inside (paradoxically true). Not to confuse extraversion with being talkactive of course. Just getting the libido from the interaction with the outside world, which at the end of the day can be a computer, depending on how you use it.
I guess it depends on how we define extraversion.
An introverted kid (say INTP) will interact with the outside world then to spend time analysing it, maybe even not-knowingly, creating an internal map for later use. A ENTP kid might interact with the outside world for the hell of it.
Do I agree with architect?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:55 PM
-->
I was very exploratory... but alone. Very shy. I would rather sneak off and get into things, quietly, and my parents would lose track of where I was. When I was old enough to know what a book was (before I could read), they'd find me looking at them. But I remember going through all the cabinets and through all the rooms in the house (even the back storage room) and through old desks, just to find things. Or going outside and getting into everything I wanted to get into.

(That's persisted even to now, I still tend to do a lot alone; i don't like feeling restrained by someone else's desires or having to consider their boundaries, unless we're pretty similar to start with.)

There was that incident when I was 4-5 where I decided I would wash the dog. I might have mentioned it. My parents were watching TV, it was winter and a few feet of snow outside, and I snuck in the back room with my footstool, climbed up on the washer, and got down all the liquid and powder detergent and went to town. That poor dog. My parents finally realized I had disappeared again and had the shock of their lives... as well as a pretty bad mess to clean up. But there I was, figuring out how to do something and how to go about it, and then trying it... all on my own.

I started figuring out how to make bombs and miniature volcanos later.

I would have made a good druid from the Shannara series, I guess.

rainman312

rice-eater extraordinaire
Local time
-->
I was introverted for the majority of my childhood, and still am. However, in 7th grade, I was incredibly extraverted. I have no idea why, but if I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with puberty/hormonal imbalance. However, that extreme extraversion ended pretty quickly, and is completely gone by now. My family also says the, "you used to be so nice and friendly" line, except it isn't true. I seriously have no idea why they think this. I used to sit up in my room and read when family members came to my house. Well, all the time actually.

Inquisitor

Local time
-->
Most children are extroverts until the age of six at least. Even and especially the INTP's, from four samples I know of (myself, my son, a friends INTP son and another old INTP friend). The reason should be obvious, early childhood is about learning and integrating with the world, so even the introverts come out. From this I disagree with some who say the Functional stack develops downwards. It does for extraverted types, but introverts seem to need to use their auxiliary very early to engage with the world. And in fact young INTP's come off as very intuitive, you can see the little idea conceptualizers.

That's a really cool idea...Never thought of it that way, but that describes me too. When I was younger I was obsessed with animals, airplanes, cars/car brands, and submarines. This lasted until I would say about 10. Maybe less?

I memorized animal names and animal top speeds. Also was very interested in all kinds of airplanes, particularly combat aircraft but also heavy cargo planes. I have binders full of leaflets on these different aircraft with detailed stats including dimensions, weight, fuel capacity, weapon loadouts, etc. I have the same for various animals. When I was very young (before I could even speak properly) I had already memorized and learned to recognize car brands at a distance as well as model (but not year...don't why but I didn't really care about that). I also particularly loved submarines and nuclear missiles. I still know about the major classes of nuclear/diesel subs both attack/boomers as well as yields of various nukes. Sounds crazy but I built models of these subs out of cardboard. My favorite was the Russian Typhoon class.

I also loved to read comic books that included fighter aircraft in some way and I loved to draw them as well. Later I enjoyed drawing Alien and Predator. Always enjoyed building Legos when I was a child. Have a whole closet full of them in the basement at home.

Anyway, my point is that over time my interest in drawing totally disappeared and while I'm still an information junkie at times, this goes in waves when I absolutely have to understand a particular problem or issue. I was also very extroverted according to my mother when I was young, but that again waned, and I am most definitely on the introvert side now.

Not sure how exactly this translates into JCF, but seems similar...

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:55 AM
-->
I was a strange kid that nobody understood, except my dad, but he was away for 6-18 months at a time. The first 10 years of my life were mostly spent in isolation, missing my dad. I didn't like other kids and I didn't understand their games. I didn't like their screaming and yelling and running around. I couldn't relate to role-playing games. I preferred the company of grown ups as I felt more comfortable talking to them. I became extroverted around them if they paid attention. I spent a lot of time roaming around the forests and mountains. I felt comforted by the presence of trees, rocks and still waters. Animals and inanimate objects became my friends. But not people. I was this weirdo who read a lot of books and spoke like it. I daydreamed a lot to escape.

I still am mostly alone/lonely although I know lots of people. I just cannot work people out. It does and doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me because I am mostly content in my own company. It bothers me when I think about the fact that humans are social beings and I should probably get out more/spend time with friends. There is only one person here I feel like I can be myself around, but realising this so late in life has made me doubt/confused as to who I actually am. My life consisted/consists mostly of learned role-playing so that I don't become a complete recluse.

No advice, please.

Plopsypoodle

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:55 PM
-->
When I was little, I was such a girly girl, loving dresses, ect. but now that I'm a bit older, I've been thinking alot. And it feels like no one understands me or accepts me for who I am. Every Time I tried to be myself I get told that I'm "heartless" or "cruel" and I thought to myself. Is something wrong with me? I think differently from others. And then I did a personality check and said I was an INTP-A "the logician", and as I looked up more about INTPs I was amazed on how many people can understand me and who I am. And finding this app, honestly, I'm a little over exited XD

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Neckbeard

Local time
Tomorrow 3:55 AM
-->
I've always been IXTP. I was a lot more kind and giving as a kid, and I used to do more physical things.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 11:55 AM
-->
I didn't like other kids and I didn't understand their games. I didn't like their screaming and yelling and running around ... I spent a lot of time roaming around the forests and mountains. I felt comforted by the presence of trees, rocks and still waters. Animals and inanimate objects became my friends. But not people. I was this weirdo who read a lot of books and spoke like it. I daydreamed a lot to escape.

Sounds familiar.

I still am mostly alone/lonely although I know lots of people. I just cannot work people out. It does and doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me because I am mostly content in my own company. It bothers me when I think about the fact that humans are social beings and I should probably get out more/spend time with friends.

Also sounds familiar. Especially the highlighted part. Seems the inferior gnaws at us saying we should be more sociable, even though we don't need or want it.

Local time
-->
I was gentle, reserved in class but social in the schoolyard.

I liked to play alone and elaborate huge stories when playing with figurines.For example I needed a clear hierarchy of strenght of my "fighters" , so the strongest good guy faced the strongest bad guy at the end.I hated it when I played with someone who had no feel for these details and it just ruined it for me.I was also fascinated by sport statistics.

The only complaint adults had about me was that I was beyond messy.I still hold a small grudge at their repeated attempt to "correct" me on that.I'm still super messy, that's just who I am, and they should've accepted that.I understand there's a limit but they whined way before this limit was reached.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Tomorrow 3:55 AM
-->
I was twisted as fuck. I miss that guy. You know that kid in kindergarten class that had problems at home and would draw really messed up shit. Yeah that was me. I turned out alright though.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I was twisted as fuck. I miss that guy. You know that kid in kindergarten class that had problems at home and would draw really messed up shit. Yeah that was me. I turned out alright though.

You sound Happy.

Local time
Today 12:55 PM
-->
I was extroverted with friends and during certain classroom activities, but was quite introverted around unfamiliar groups of people--like, hide-in-a-bathroom-during-a-large-party or stand-by-a-wall introverted. my mother loved going shopping with me because she could leave me in a bookstore for several hours and I would not budge. my favorite toys were things that transformed (Transformers and Power Rangers, specifically) or needed building.

EDIT: what was your childhood dream job? I wanted to be an astronaut, but I learned in 1st grade that the shuttle could explode, and the dream ended.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
I was just a quiet, shy, imaginative kid with a few good friends that I spent a lot of time with. I was well behaved, perceived to be well behaved by others, but my curiosity would lead me to do things that shocked others. For instance, I wanted a spy hole at my friend's house so I put a hole in the wall with a hammer. My friend was yelled at for it, but when he pointed at me, his parents went silent.

I was immersed at times in imaginative play and often played with kids slightly younger because the play was more fun. I used to ride my bike around, explore the woods, climb trees, often by myself, but not always. I really didn't mind being alone.

I loved puzzles, drawing, creating my own cartoon characters, writing space adventures, building models, inventing contraptions, playing video games. I read a lot, was pretty nerdy. I thought all in all, my childhood was memorable.

I was a pretty chill kid.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
Today 12:55 PM
-->
Extroverted and Introverted are easily confused in my opinion. My dad is the prototypical ENTP, for example, and he's often confused for an introvert.
I've never been 'shy' but I've mostly always been reserved. I do talk to people, even a lot, when I actually have questions or doing some basic investigation. When I don't have any questions and have no interest in the conversation at hand, I don't say anything.

Was that way as a kid and haven't changed to be honest.

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
Today 10:55 AM
-->
I don't know about others but I developed Ti first and had Ne as a reactionary function.

I'll list some childhood memories/stories.
-Climbed a baseball cage during a game and the Ump stopped the game and yelled "whose kid is this?" My parents didn't want to claim me.
-My parents told me that when I was in preschool, the other kids would go in for story time but I would stay outside and play. I don't know if that was from a lack of listening skills or from social aversion.
-When I was 3 I opened our garage door, climbed on our car, then climbed on the raised garage door. My parents were scared that I would fall but I laughed at them.
-For a week in 4th grade, I took naps. I had nothing better to do so I just napped.
-Also played with legos. I didn't like colored ones because they were not serious enough for the projects I did.
-I read almost every book in our small library that I didn't floccinaucinihilipilificate, which was a lot. I remember taking reading quizzes on the computer at school and it saying I had a college level reading level. I thought that if I had a college level reading level then college students were idiots.
-I remember one time my brother was going to take my younger brother to play basketball. He informed me of this, but I quickly forgot. When my FJ mother got home and asked where they were and I couldn't tell her, we got in the car and she drove crazily in an attempt to find her 'stolen children'. We eventually did. After we got home, I remember her crying and me just laughing at her for it, I don't know why, it was just funny that she was overreacting. Because of that and other 'listening problems' she actually took me to a psychologist to see if I had issues. Turned out I didn't but that I had a higher than average IQ. So more stuff pointing towards INTP.

Its kind of a random list of things I did but it seems like everybody is listing things kind of in this format (but with no bullets). The way my memories work are in small snippets or video clips I guess, and it seems this is somewhat matched. When I first discovered JCF and figured I was an INTP, it was kind of reassuring, it explained my childhood, so I was happy.

Around 8ish grade I developed Ne from a reaction function into a perceiving function with the help of natural development. I suddenly became aware of the outside world, but I don't think my brain was ready from the Ne transition so it didn't really finalize until mid-10th grade ish.

Crispeycelebi

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 1:55 AM
-->
I was an IXFJ during primary school 7-12. Often bullied and my best subj was science. I hated creative writing. My hobbies were drawing, trying to read people's thoughts, learning pseudo-science, how to cheer people up without making them feel awkward, personality tests and quizzes, masterbating. I had few friends and the rest were aquaintances. My parents were strict, I'm obedient but have no conscious desires in life. Superstitious, confused, shy(not quiet when you get to know me), inferior complex, angsty, competitive but forgiving and thoughtful

When I was in kindergarten I was the bully's sidekick and we bully the ugly girl in class, I always felt really bad for bullying her but too proud to apologise. The ugly girl always forgives me and does not hate me but hates my friend.

I had sexual fetishes since 6 yo, about people having tails and my clitorial hood always ticklish so I tried relieving it by clamping my thighs together until my urethra throb and I really had to pee.
A male relative put his hand under my panties when I was 7 while I was pretending to sleep. Although it felt really good I cannot move one bit or else he would know I'm not sleeping and question me. I had to bear with the tension until he left the room so I can relieve myself.

I think I should stop now:facepalm:

youkneeburst

hypothetical
Local time
Tomorrow 1:55 AM
-->
(beware of superflous emoticons) :phear:

i can remember when i was a kid, i used to be more energetic and outgoing :elephant:, which i guess is natural for a kid. i used to play a lot of sports and games with my classmates, and i interact with people more which is the total opposite of what i am now as a teen. despite these seemingly extroverted characteristics though, im pretty sure that i have an innate introversion ever since i can remember, it was just being overlapped and suppressed by my childhood's tendency to get to know the world better and therefore being more exploratory and lively but once i grow up and got used to this world and there is nothing much more stuffs to discover, my introversion took its reign.

i can still remember that despite being lively as a kid, i was usually described as shy, quiet, and less talkative but i was remarkably thoughtful. i also remember having intense philosophical thoughts as early as 7 year old, my favorite topics were the existence of heaven:angel: and hell :evil:, the shape of the earth (i thought we were inside an enclosed sphere back then) and its position in space and how wide the whole universe is, if theres a border at the end of the universe, what will happen when i die :rip:, i even cry every time i thought of my parents dying and the fear that we might not know each other anymore if heaven exists, i was also very analytical. i also used to enjoy watching tv alone in a dark room while im at the corner of my bed eating snacks :kodama1:, i think its my favorite 'recharging' moment after a tiring day full of playing with my classmates. i also remember designing games with self-sketched monsters, characters, skills, and quest, i even let my cousins play it. i also remember this habit of not stepping at the lines on floor tiles and in the sidewalks, i can also remember this one moment when i was wondering how many permutations my fingers can make. i also aced my elementary class, i was the top student. i also loved multiplayer role playing adventure video games. i can also remember having no official 'friend' back then, i didnt even know what a 'friend' means and didnt bother about it. i just socialize and play with my classmates and some more frequently but the idea of friendship like a trusting-each-other relationship was kinda nonsense to me back then which reflects my independent nature. science and math were my favorite subjects, and hands-on activities were my hatest. :storks:

in summary, my childhood was outwardly fun, and naturally extroverted for a child that's just beginning to know ther world, but my inherent introversion and INTPness as a whole is implicitly remarkable as much as i can remember. :smoker:

Feather

Local time
-->
As a kid I created lots of things: I would draw & paint and think up then build sail boats and airplanes, smash open electronics and try to make robots from them. When playing with toys I ussually merged them into abstract superstructure "creations".
-
I was never interested in learning or school or reading only sports. But I made all A's just to appease my mom. I have and had horrible memory of detials, I can't and never could remember my age, the current month day or year, or how to spell. Yet I used short term retention of concepts to do well in school and dominate math.
-
I was obsessed with madden football video game. Because it was a combination of the 3 things I like most - Dallas Cowboys - Football - Logic. I would just repeat a simple process over and over.... Think up a phillosophical stradegy then test it out record data, then start over with a new vision.
-
Socially I had tons of freckels and that added on to me being exteremly shy. I was my own worst enemy because I was shamed by my freckels and petrified of girls. Yet looking back I was involved with all the pretty ones, so It was an invisible problem I gave my self hell for.
-
As a teen I did not have a cleaver thought in my head. I just partied and played in a band. I got voted "most spirited" my senior year in the year book out of sheer irony. In some classes I would never talk or respond to anyone. In others with friends I would get introuble and told I was the loadest kid in the teachers career.
-
Early in college, I lost most of the shyness and could do public speaking with not much problem. I partied and failed most my classes.
-
Slowly since, I started to become more akward, worse at public speaking, I relate less to most people, I guess becoming less normal, spent to much time studying engineering and became more focused on science, consciousness, meditating, reading, philosophy, ecentric and wants to live in a cave.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
ok, i'm obviously not an intp. most likely intj

so here's my experience from like 4 to 7 or so? i can't really tell:
i couldn't see objects moving around me, it was like a storm of distorted shapes and forms that i wasn't able to fit together at least conciously.
Because of this, i:
- ate a christmas tree light
- sniffed and ate glue in kindergarten in classes while doing crafts and remember i was told from my mother not to keep doing it because my teacher told her
- i have two scars in my forehead. Once because i was hit by a swing, again Ni dom issues. The other was because i was running so fast for a pizza that i couldn't see a metal pilar and crashed with it. (Ni goal oriented, frustrated Te)
- i also broke giant cocacola glass bottles in the playground of the kinder while surrounded by kids (90's undeveloped country stuff - primal Se)

More than enough proof to say i'm an INTJ
btw these are facts not any kind of metaphors or fairy tales

Top Bottom