• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Remember Everything anyone has ever said to you?

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
Today 2:35 AM
-->
I have a problem. When I speak with people...I remember everything theyve ever said to me. Literally. Im not even kidding. You speak to me. One month can go by and Ill know what we were talking about a month ago. Even years. If I havent seen you in years..Ill know what we were talking about. So...due to this...I just hold people to their word...and they disappoint me. Just hate it. Im scatterbrained, clumsy...but when it comes to remember conversations...its all there. Theyll forget about it. I wont. Its a curse. Anyone else have this problem?

I apologize for any grammatical errors...using a french keyboard lulz.

INTPs are supposed to forget everything thats been said to them :(

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 1:35 AM
-->
Holy crap...yes. I've actually been trying to find out a way to explain this in words and it never really came to me.

But yea I always remember everything that was said in a conversation looong after it had been said. Though I have to of course actually be listening to them and fully comprehended what they were talking about. I have to say that I perhaps don't remember it necessarily forever unless the conversations really stuck out to me or seemed somehow important. though most conversations stay in the "I remember everything" stage for at least a couple of months.

I really hope I didn't just explain the normal way most people remember things. Cause that would be....meh.......

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
Holy crap...yes. I've actually been trying to find out a way to explain this in words and it never really came to me.

But yea I always remember everything that was said in a conversation looong after it had been said. Though I have to of course actually be listening to them and fully comprehended what they were talking about. I have to say that I perhaps don't remember it necessarily forever unless the conversations really stuck out to me or seemed somehow important. though most conversations stay in the "I remember everything" stage for at least a couple of months.

I really hope I didn't just explain the normal way most people remember things. Cause that would be....meh.......

Same for me. *Eyeroll. OCD? XD

WorkInProgress

I use metaphors to show how deep I am.
Local time
-->
It's because we actually listen instead of thinking of what we're going to say ;)

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->

Alice?

Local time
Yesterday 11:35 PM
-->
I have a problem. When I speak with people...I remember everything theyve ever said to me. Literally. Im not even kidding. You speak to me. One month can go by and Ill know what we were talking about a month ago. Even years. If I havent seen you in years..Ill know what we were talking about.

I do this too, but to a slightly lesser degree. I've gotten some pretty strange looks from friends of mine when I bring up random things that they've told me years ago and don't remember telling me at all. It's quite fun, really.
I can't remember birthdays, though. Or the pages I'm supposed to be reading right now for my meteorology class.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
Today 6:35 AM
-->
You quote Aldous Huxley...at least if you lived in Oceania nothing would ever be lost down the "memory hole".

Although I do not have your particular gift/curse, I often ruminate over a particular topic I was talking about with someone (and remember everything they said about it) for extreme lengths of time.

This would not be a problem, except then I forget that the conversation had ended months ago, and bring up the topic again with them as though it were minutes ago. People usually do not remember, and become annoyed. I'll say, "remember what we were talking about...I think it was yesterday...about economics? Well, I think I've finally figured it out". They say, "huh?"

It tends to annoy others.

One of the difficulties about remembering everything anyone said to you, I would imagine, would be that you would be constantly thinking about the past, and unable to think clearly about the future.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes, I used to do that when I was a child. My mom would say something when I was 4 and I'd repeat it back when I was 10. It drove her crazy, and now my daughter does it to me and my mom just laughs.

I don't do it nearly so much any more. I am not sure why. But when I concentrate on what someone is saying, yes, I remember it pretty much word for word.

It leads to arguments, doesn't it?

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
Yes, I used to do that when I was a child. My mom would say something when I was 4 and I'd repeat it back when I was 10. It drove her crazy, and now my daughter does it to me and my mom just laughs.

I don't do it nearly so much any more. I am not sure why. But when I concentrate on what someone is saying, yes, I remember it pretty much word for word.

It leads to arguments, doesn't it?

Yes. My ESFJ mother does 180s everyday. I remind her what it is that SHE DID say. She says she didnt. The argument begins...and Im wrong...as per usual.

juturna

Local time
-->
This happens all the time to me and it sucks when people don't remember as well. I love it, though, when someone will bring up some random thing I may have said in conversation maybe months prior when I think no one is listening. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Grove

Wait.....now what?
Local time
-->
This happens to me all the time. I have several friends that I’ve known since grade school and kindergarten and they are usually amazed that I can recount situations and conversations we had when we were 5. My mother is a different story. When I remind her of past conversations or things she had done while I was a kid she often tells me I have a false memory (especially if the situation reflects poorly on her, or reframes how she views herself/ her actions). This is really annoying. I can’t and won’t claim that my memories of any given situation are perfect—that’s impossible. But really, it is kind of hard to forget that at one point your mother wanted to move out to the country and raise schipperkes.

Midus

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am able to do the exact same thing which is kind of ironic considering that most people assume that I am not listening to them. People often give me a hard time for not paying attention to them while they're speaking when I could probably recite what they said word for word. I might look like I'm being inattentive, but I'm really giving what you say a lot of thought and storing it away.

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
thats true with me to, i know what people have said in the past. i think intps are good at remembering shit like that cuz we like to make a profile about people and we like to fit them into their respective categories. i remember i was talking to this girl and she was like woah how do u know where im from and all this shit sometimes they think your a stalker or something ahahaha. works well in quizes and tests when you can remember what the teacher has gone over

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
I think I am generally pretty good about remembering relevant things people say. However, my most recent roommate talks NON-STOP and so I really developed selective hearing and it works a little too well sometimes.

Don't expect me to remember a damn name or a birthday though, ugh.

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
same im horrible with names and birthdays ahhahaha i dont know my families birthday's (extended) grandparents i dont know aunts and uncles aswell

its funny when someone says

"hi my name is matt nice to meet you"

usually when that happens my auto pilot response and my mind doesnt even register and transfer short term to long term memory and my auto pilot response is to introduce my name and say nice to meet you , you know social protocols. and also i must admit i feel a little happy someone has introduced themselves to me even thought i have already forgotten their name ahaha

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"INTP's are supposed to forget?" Where did you read that? I know they are mostly unorganized, but that doesn't mean we forget. I remember like an elephant myself. I can remember stuff from when I was 8 years old with all details like how a guy had a mole or whatever.

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
same im horrible with names and birthdays ahhahaha i dont know my families birthday's (extended) grandparents i dont know aunts and uncles aswell

its funny when someone says

"hi my name is matt nice to meet you"

usually when that happens my auto pilot response and my mind doesnt even register and transfer short term to long term memory and my auto pilot response is to introduce my name and say nice to meet you , you know social protocols. and also i must admit i feel a little happy someone has introduced themselves to me even thought i have already forgotten their name ahaha

Sounds about right! I have have no problem having an intellectual conversation with someone that is completely anonymous. Most people are 'anonymous' to me until they have something to say that perks my interest. I definitely remember faces better than names, although I am not particuarly great at remembering faces either. Ask me to sketch someone from memory? Forget about it!. Usually I am just so lost in thought. I would be quite the useless witness for a crime or something.

speiss

Local time
-->
Yes. My ESFJ mother does 180s everyday. I remind her what it is that SHE DID say. She says she didnt. The argument begins...and Im wrong...as per usual.

That's exactly what happens with me. My mother will conveniently remember when she's screwed up, but when it comes to me not liking clothes she bought me when I was 12, or accidentally forgetting a dirty knife on the counter, she's got all the reason to scream and argue.

merulz

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have this problem though I don't necessarily remember EVERYTHING, I remember obscure details about conversations though and my early childhood memory is better than most.

BitRogue

Local time
-->
I have a problem. When I speak with people...I remember everything theyve ever said to me. Literally. Im not even kidding.

Sure about that?
So if someone rattled off a list of directions or instructions, you'd remember all of it from memory? How about being introduced to a room full of people? ;)

5 years later?

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
i dont see how this is even possible.
you will remember every exact word everyone has ever said to you?
do you remember word for word books you read after the first read?
what if someone reads the book to you?

there are certain memories i can play in my head exactly as they happened, but its only a small bit of my experiences. i tend to forget conversations and only remember a very basic summary of them.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When I recite something I remember it usually ends up disturbing the person rather than impressing them.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Another "Are you similar to me?" Thread. I guess humans do celebrate diversity. :rolleyes:

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Another "Are you similar to me?" Thread. I guess humans do celebrate diversity. :rolleyes:

I think it's more of a "Are you superior like me?" thread. That's my impression. No offense intended OP.

Deridaburi

Local time
-->
I have a problem. When I speak with people...I remember everything theyve ever said to me. Literally. Im not even kidding. You speak to me. One month can go by and Ill know what we were talking about a month ago. Even years. If I havent seen you in years..Ill know what we were talking about. So...due to this...I just hold people to their word...and they disappoint me. Just hate it. Im scatterbrained, clumsy...but when it comes to remember conversations...its all there. Theyll forget about it. I wont. Its a curse. Anyone else have this problem?

I apologize for any grammatical errors...using a french keyboard lulz.

INTPs are supposed to forget everything thats been said to them :(

Exact same thing for me except I can remember all ideas ever said to me rather than the literal words.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
-->
This is another one of those problems that I wish I had. The grass is always greener... somewhere, I forget the rest of it. I think it is an ability that you can easily use to your advantage. You may make a marvelous participant in a debate, or a news reporter, or a news analyst. Like any superhero ability, it can be easily abused and it takes discipline to control. For Chrisssake, don't think that you are the lesser of anyone.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

/my life

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->

Wow, oddly enough, sounds kinda like my mom. Although her 180's can occasionally take a matter of minutes, rather than a day. I'm lucky enough not to have the curse of being able to remember everything that is said, but the ideas behind the words stick pretty much forever.

I also do the whole remembering a conversation from months ago as if it was yesterday, and continuing the conversation on. My friends tend to find it a little strange (even the Rationals), but I don't see what's wrong with it. Unfortunately, although I can remember a conversation from three months ago clearly, I often have trouble remembering what I was assigned in class 2 hours ago, which can lead to serious troubles when I don't write my assignments down in my daybook.

phial

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:35 AM
-->
Not word for word, but the basic sentence structure and message, yes, definitely. It drove my wife nuts a few times back when we fought more often. :)

I love realizing how right I was all along, when I was a child. My mother is a crazy bitch like this also.

Methuselah

tl;dr
Local time
-->
I'll remember what you said six months ago, but not six seconds ago.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
^ Lol yeah.

becca_scott99

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I do this too! I can remember certain conversations, I guess of importance, word for word. Even if it happened 2 or 3 years ago. Not necessarily random people, but people I talk to on a weekly (or even yearly) basis. I think it's a common thing. I don't have a good memory though, as in remembering what I wore two days ago.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I also do this. I've never been sure whether or not it's something that everyone, or at least most people do, or not..
Seems like an introverted sensing thing.
I wonder if people with Dom or auxiliary Si have even better memories than us INTPs.
Although if someone asked, I'd say that I have a bad memory. Especially with emotions; I swear I have emotional amnesia or something. Psychs hate me because they'll ask how I was feeling last week, and I'll have no idea.

Top Bottom