• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

By INTP standards what type would you be?

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
Today 4:38 PM
-->
If all the world were INTPs and MBTI was renormalized. What type would you be?

Me, ENFP I think.

Is there a way to search if a thread like this already exists?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
This is pretty interesting. I guess I'd be ENTP, ENFJ or INFJ or ISFJ, and INFP. Im Not really stern, intpwise.

psion

used to fly like Peter Pan
Local time
Today 11:38 AM
-->
Hm... Interesting question. Probably ENTP if not INTP.

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
Probably bits of ESTJ and INTJ like my family members. It's a strange question because if there were only INTPs then my family members wouldn't be those types, and I wouldn't have been influenced by their differences, and I wouldn't have an answer.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
Today 8:38 AM
-->
Maybe INFP or INFJ.

I'm not really sure. I don't think I've learned enough about MBTI to make a competent judgement on that yet, I am not positive about being INTP in the first place, but it fits better than others.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 9:38 AM
-->
INTJ

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
hmm... Yeah, I guess if the world were all INTPs we wouldn't really be us

Suppose all the INTPs took the MBTI and then it was renormalized though. I guess the feedback those tests give you usually would tell you this anyways, like 89% intuitive 65% thinking etc.

Anyways thanks for the responses. Funny, very few would think of themselves as sensors even by INTP standards. Maybe this is one dichotomy that tends to be very polarized?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
"renormalized"?

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Well I mean, if there were a magical reliable test that automatically assess all of your behaviors ever and such, and then give an absolute score of how many sensor/intuitive thinking/feeling etc. behaviors and thought patterns you've exhibited. The test would be "normalized" or "standardized" so that an average person would be "XXXX" and if they were slightly INTPish they would be "INTP"

If the general population took this test presumably most of our absolute scores would be above average in N T I and P, but if an INTP population took the test maybe someone who was above the general population average for T would be below the INTP average for T, so they would be an INFP by the "renormalized" INTP standards.

Like if a bunch of really smart people took an IQ test and their raw scores were used to compute the average IQ, and then that IQ was set to 100, I would probably have an IQ of like 70.

I don't know if I'm really being clear :confused:

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
It'd probably be simpler to pose the question as "which type do you take influence from by comparison to other INTPs" but we can't make that comparison because we don't know what an averaged INTP would be.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I think I get what you mean.

It's basically an INTP test on how INTP you are compared to other INTPs, and you're assigning other MBTI types to the different ranges .

I see a few problems though, how would you mark someone who is more T than average INTPs? INTTP? INT^2P? INT*2P? INTP? Before you said less than average T would be INFP but you can't do the same here.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I took a personality test from a website that personalitycafe.com linked me to, my result was INTP of course but it said my second and third most likely types were ENTP and INTJ, respectively.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
me in intpland = a small fat lazy E7 esfp with adhd and a sword (used as knife mostly). gothic/emo make-up.

Ha, agreed.

It'd probably be simpler to pose the question as "which type do you take influence from by comparison to other INTPs" but we can't make that comparison because we don't know what an averaged INTP would be.

That's true. Especially since I don't even know more than like two other INTPs IRL to compare to.

I guess, which of your INTP traits are very strongly polarized (e.g. 100%T I never use feeling or 100%N I never perceive sensorily)

Like Synthetix mentioned before I suppose it was a silly question since the results type indicators give you typically make suggestions as to alternative types. If they don't they usually give you some percentage breakdown.

I guess it was more, "How would you self-evaluate your personality compared to other INTPs" Though I don't want to sound waffle-ish just trying to clarify.

I think I get what you mean.

It's basically an INTP test on how INTP you are compared to other INTPs, and you're assigning other MBTI types to the different ranges .

I see a few problems though, how would you mark someone who is more T than average INTPs? INTTP? INT^2P? INT*2P? INTP? Before you said less than average T would be INFP but you can't do the same here.

You would call them INTP. (if <50% T call them INFP, if >50% T call them INTP)

Urraco

poo-tee-weet?
Local time
-->
This is a cool question. One or two social activities a month
is just fine with me. I have a healthy dose of Sensing qualities, I take criticism harder than most INTPs, and my preference for Perceiving is slight, so...ISFJ. Makes sense, it's
my mom's type.

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
-->
ESTP probably. I'd say I'm more outgoing than the "average" INTP and unless I actually feel comfortable/whatever then my normal conversation would seem mostly senseless to an "average" INTP.

samjonathan

often inexplicably absent for long periods of time
Local time
Tomorrow 1:08 AM
-->
ESTP, ISTP, ISTJ something along those lines

Namesmith

Why do I need a title?
Local time
-->
The question is vague, and reading through the replies hasn't helped. But I think I understand why the question is vague. It's because you're trying to use MB terms to further classify a MB subtype, when what you really need is a new set of terms.

As an example, look at Presidential Candidate Ron Paul. Is he a Liberal, or a Conservative? Well, he's adamantly pro-life, wants to shrink the size of government, end the Federal Reserve and restore the gold standard, and is a staunch supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. Must be a Conservative! But he also wants to decriminalize pot, end the War on Drugs, bring the troops home AND close all our overseas military bases, opposed the Iraq war and war against Iran, opposes the Patriot act and supports habeus corpus for all detainees and prisoners. That sounds pretty Liberal! Which is it?

Neither, and both--he looks at it as a Libertarian, which is a position that supports the freedom of the individual and opposes the State as both caretaker and imposer. It's different terminology.

Find another way to ask the question.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:38 AM
-->
I would be ENTP or ENFP

Namesmith would be ISTJ/INTJ. :p

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
It just feels that way. Says ENFP

I would say since you even constructed an argument with examples (Ron Paul) that far exceeds my J ability to follow through or S ability to know facts. Also because the question, especially after my repeated attempts to clarify wasn't even that vague. Perhaps it was stupid, as you pointed out, but you probably knew what I meant. A more "F" ish INTP I think would have forgiven the logical shortcomings of the post once they figured out the "essence" of what I was asking. No?

Of course "Why do I need a title?" and the quote you put about theory and practice, you are, to me obviously an INTP. Maybe by INTP standards you'd be INTP?

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Probably INFJ at the moment, considering that was the result of the last time I took the test. Before that, I was called INTJ by many INTJs on INTJf. My test scores seem to change quite a bit.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Really? Why ISTJ?

I was messing around (kind of). Your argument kinda had an ISTJ approach (the entire bit about making the OP rephrase his/her words, instead of trying to 'get it' yourself). Reminded me of some ISTJ I knew for a couple of years, but I cant make conclusions off of one post of yours and I'm not saying you are one. :D

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I'm almost positive I'd be INFP (my mothers type), or ENFP (but I doubt that), and depending on my mood, INFJ.

To be honest if I wasn't so good at telling my mom how overly emotional she is, I'd probably consider myself an INFP.

I really don't know enough about types to really make a good guess.

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
-->
Probably fluctuating degrees of ENFP and ISFJ

I have no idea.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
Somewhere between ENTP and INTJ.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
It would depend who I was interacting with / what the situation was, as per usual.

Doing work? INTJ
Asked about fun/whimsical thing relating to creating something or thinking? ENTP/ENFP/INFP or something
Normal? INTP...I fit the type too much aside from sometimes being more of a J. Never when I need to, though.

Top Bottom