• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Like button?

Budthestud

BAMF
Local time
Today 11:00 AM
-->
Can we get a like button for threads and posts? Not a Facebook one but one specifically for this site. I keep seeing funny or smart posts that I like.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 6:00 AM
-->
Shame on you.

*flips the "like button" lovers off, throws a chair through a window then strolls off whistling a merry tune*

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 9:00 PM
-->
Will a like button not go against the forum's nature? If a physicist proposes a paradigm shifting theory, do other physicists say: "I like this."? No, they give their all to disprove or support the theory. If you like a thread or post, participate.
I never liked the facebook like function (I never liked facebook). The only reason for it's existence is as a mindless social convention. If you like something, it is your own subjective opinion. Why does one have to tell the whole world that you like it? It serves no rational purpose, it is merely a useless form of self expression.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Will a like button not go against the forum's nature? If a physicist proposes a paradigm shifting theory, do other physicists say: "I like this."? No, they give their all to disprove or support the theory. If you like a thread or post, participate.
I never liked the facebook like function (I never liked facebook). The only reason for it's existence is as a mindless social convention. If you like something, it is your own subjective opinion. Why does one have to tell the whole world that you like it? It serves no rational purpose, it is merely a useless form of self expression.

Why do we have the option of having an entire thread as a poll if opinion did not matter?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:00 PM
-->
It serves no rational purpose, it is merely a useless form of self expression.

That's a limited, rather stultifying interpretation.

For some, it can mean two things in particular:

(1) I read your post, in case you were wondering (since if no one responds, you might think NO one read it) and

(2) I agree with what you said but would be loathe to make yet ANOTHER post to simply say, "I agree with what you just said," which many of us would not care to do.

Which means it's actually a feature that makes the forum more efficient and lets people know their material has been read and/or makes sense.

Otherwise, you typically only hear from people when they DISAGREE, and in that case you get a slanted, inaccurate view of whether your post made sense or not.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 1:00 PM
-->
I asked my ego and it said it wouldn't mind a Like button. ;)

To go along with what Jenny said, I often read posts I like, but have nothing to offer in terms of a response. Sometimes it's just nice to let someone know you're paying attention.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Why do we have the option of having an entire thread as a poll if opinion did not matter?

For statistics?

Like/+1/thumbs up etc are not about statistics, they exist as a feedback system for users. But polls provide a numerical perspective to the data contained within threads.

I admit I sometimes have gotten the urge upvote a post here but that's just habit. I still think such a feature is neither productive nor healthy for the forum.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 7:00 PM
-->
I agree with what I said last time. ^^

Hawkeye said:
It can easily be abused. Some people may take external "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" seriously. As crazy as this seems, just look at how offended some people get on here.

I for one would "thumbs up" fallacious arguments for my own amusement.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I for one would "thumbs up" fallacious arguments for my own amusement.

Gasp! Bastard!

I bet you'd soak everything down in gas and toss on a match, just to watch the world burn!

... actually, that sounds kind of amusing. Hmmm....

Can we have a Like button? Pretty please?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

* Like *

PS. Yes, can we have a Fuck You button? Pretty please?

PSS. Can we have a "I need to pee and will be back in 5 minutes" button? Pretty please?

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
For statistics?

Like/+1/thumbs up etc are not about statistics, they exist as a feedback system for users. But polls provide a numerical perspective to the data contained within threads.

I admit I sometimes have gotten the urge upvote a post here but that's just habit. I still don't think such a feature is neither productive nor healthy for the forum.

It is still statistics of opinion. I would prefer to think that most people are mature enough to use these type of statistics in the right way. I don't like the mods deciding that we are not responsible enough to use the information wisely.

So what do thouest learnt from 'like' stats? You learnt what way most people on this forum think about certain things. How is this important? It is helpful in any type of conversation. How people regard certain ideas and speech patterns is important in how you should think about approaching certain ideas and topics. The way it is now, we only know how a select few regard specific topics and what is important to them but that does nothing in better formulating our ideas to the general forum.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Five minutes isn't enough time. When I pee, I always pee on a prostitute and it usually takes me longer than five minutes to pick one up.

Maybe you should just get a smaller ho, so that you don't need as much peeing time. Stop going for the big ones.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hey! Leggo my ego!

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 8:00 PM
-->
I don't see the point. What does it matter whether a post has 0 or 15 likes? What does it contribute to the discussion?

As a side note, I think the function would be detrimental to my attempted tolerance and patience for humans.

It's actually very rare that I come across posts that I find solid to such degree that I would "like". (Of course, I can't judge topics that I don't know that much about). This might have something to do with "one" side usually being more favored by the knowledgeable. If the other side presents weak arguments, then the opposition often wont be very enlightening.

So what do thouest learnt from 'like' stats? You learnt what way most people on this forum think about certain things. How is this important? It is helpful in any type of conversation. How people regard certain ideas and speech patterns is important in how you should think about approaching certain ideas and topics. The way it is now, we only know how a select few regard specific topics and what is important to them but that does nothing in better formulating our ideas to the general forum.

But we don't know how they regard the ideas and speech pattern from that information.

Actually, that might be an interesting idea for a thread. When are things too vague to be read more carefully. What writing style/ format tends to be read more carefully etc. Though, I have a general idea of some of the users that are "always" read. And some that tend to be skipped. I think there might exist a thread like that, actually.

Generally, I think it's healthy to engage parts of the brain not so often used. Sometimes (general) you can do that by reading posts you usually wouldn't. Try to jump into a thought process that's foreign to you. I'm not doing it too often myself sadly, but I think it's important to expand one owns mind in ways like this.

Erm, point is, perhaps it's not always ideal to format your posts after your readers. On (this) forum, I mean. Of course it's different when you hold speeches and whatnot. Of course, writing in a different format occasionally can be beneficial too.

For instance, I could on occasions attempt to convey my point in less than one paragraph :confused:

As a last thing. I don't really think most of us are above the biases "likes" would provide. I see a lot of bias, inconsistencies and flaws on this forum. And a lot of the same people tend to think they are more immune to those factors when they obviously are not. Is anyone?

Though, I guess we are already biased to think someone right or wrong according to what experience we have with that user.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
it reinforces pack mentally, it's a no go

really the post count shouldn't be there either

but in case of a thumbs up there needs to be a downer as well, if go the wrong way then go it all way I say

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
You would like my posts, wouldn't you Minnie dear?

:cutewhitekitten:

If people don't, I think you should throw dead cats through their windshields.

That'll show 'em.

Being actively Liked is a big deal. Those who refuse to conform should be punished with expired kitties. (And don't feel bad for the cats. They didn't Like much either, and deserved everything they got.)

^ Like

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 1:00 PM
-->
Can I throw dead puppies at their windshields instead?

I'm saving my stash of dead cats to pelt runners at the next breast cancer marathon. Those damn people think their so much better than me. I'll show them.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 4:00 AM
-->
People who support the implementation of a, 'Like' function are proven to have wooden legs.

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
-->
Personally I favour the idea of a cat button where one awards a poster points for most cat-like posting style.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
really the post count shouldn't be there either

Heh, I never even notice post count. Or custom titles. Or signatures. If the user name is not short and precise, I usually don't notice that too much either. This is about what I see when I read posts

597ee.jpg

I mostly just care about the "Fuck You" button.

Put that flapping shenanigan back in your pants :mad:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Personally I favour the idea of a cat button where one awards a poster points for most cat-like posting style.

yeah, I'm willing to trade my Like / Fuck You button pair for a Cat / Dog pair instead.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Though, I guess we are already biased to think someone right or wrong according to what experience we have with that user.

Oh fine, you are right. Where is that like button????

It would be nice to know when everyone thought I was full of #@$@#. I need the debooster once in a while. I can get a bloated head if I don't keep it in check.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->

I am not even aware what the whole cat bit is about.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 4:00 AM
-->

I think this is a good idea, but we shouldn't stop at just cats. We could have dozens of animals to choose from, and people could be rated as a myriad different animals.

I'd personally love to see a drop bear button, for all those random whimsical interjections that happen on threads from time to time by people.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
I think this is a good idea, but we shouldn't stop at just cats. We could have dozens of animals to choose from, and people could be rated as a myriad different animals.

I'd personally love to see a drop bear button, for all those random whimsical interjections that happen on threads from time to time by people.

I will speak up for House and request a zombie button also. He love me long time for that one.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->

Did anyone tell you that you are a real artist? That is superb. You know, just 40 days and 40 nights, or 6 days if we are going Gilgamesh style, and all that will be left are INTP's. Think of all the stuff we would get done....or not....hmmm....I think we are in trouble.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Can we get a like button for threads and posts? Not a Facebook one but one specifically for this site. I keep seeing funny or smart posts that I like.

yeah, I'm willing to trade my Like / Fuck You button pair for a Cat / Dog pair instead.

I will speak up for House and request a zombie button also. He love me long time for that one.

:cat:<---Emoticons. You has dem.

@Greyman: If it helps imagine the thing the person is saying is coming from the psychic thoughts of an aloof cat. This is the point of the kitty. He is our spirit animal if you will.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Just my personal opinion, but I see a like function as introducing lots of problems to be honest. What's special about this place is the thought that goes into the posts. A like or dislike function possibly encourages lazy posting, as it suggests that a single click is a valid contribution.

I see it as affecting poster's impartiality as well. Say you really want to critique a post and you see 10 likes under it, will it affect you, would it suddenly be like you're not just critiquing this one person but all the other people behind it?

Plus for the upside "that's nice, someone likes my post" there's always the "why does no one ever like my posts?" It could get cliquish quite easily, and perhaps become a barrier to those who are new or not on others radars as often, a visible mark of how involved or distant they are with the community.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Heh, I never even notice post count. Or custom titles. Or signatures. If the user name is not short and precise, I usually don't notice that too much either. This is about what I see when I read posts

597ee.jpg

Put that flapping shenanigan back in your pants :mad:

Damn it seems your forum reading skills surpass mine. Still the post count is helpful because it lets you spot those new kids with <20 posts :O It would be annoying thinking they were like everyone else because they come and go at such a pace.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
I think that a "like" button would turn threads about interesting and important (ok, maybe not important) ideas into popularity contests. Several people have already mentioned that it could force people with different opinions out of the forum. It would ruin the diversity of viewpoints that I enjoy so much about INTPf.

It also allows people to just click a button instead of thinking and formulating a logical response. People would be able to play favourites without even writing a word or defending their arguments. This would lead to the forum dividing into (even stronger and more separate) factions.

SW

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I don't really care either way, but I find the paranoia over a forum of typically low key, rational-to-a-fault INTPs turning into the equivalent overnight of a rabid pack of popularity seeking, thoughtless wild dogs simply over the addition of a Like button to be amusing in itself. Are we really all that mentally weak?

Sounds like there is fear of something there.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't really care either way, but I find the paranoia over a forum of typically low key, rational-to-a-fault INTPs turning into the equivalent overnight of a rabid pack of popularity seeking, thoughtless wild dogs simply over the addition of a Like button to be amusing in itself. Are we really all that mentally weak?

On the whole, yes.

Top Bottom