• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are some life lessons you've accumulated over the years?

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
Brought to you by the letter Eeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeh and the children's television workshop.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->
When you think you've almost had enough, you've probably had more than enough.

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
Today 10:04 AM
-->
Laugh.

Everyone thinks they're right.

Challenge your beliefs/self constantly.

Don't fall victim to planned obsolescence in any of its forms.

Turnevies

Local time
Today 11:04 AM
-->
My occasional dislike of people is strongly correlated with my lack of sleep.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
Beware the Christmas Nazis. They will swallow your soul and still make you open their presents.

Turnevies

Local time
-->
Studying life cannot replace living though life. The path is the goal.

avenger

Redshirt
Local time
-->
*gets sacked from a job*

lessons learned -
1) keep your head down and just do your work and never ever stand up against things going on that are wrong, never stand up for what you believe in
2) people are nasty and not to be trusted because ultimately they will just stab you in the back

*following lessons learned from above*

lesson learned
1) doing that will ultimately make you miserable and tired of how shit life is and your inability to change anything, what's the point of life?
2) you don't have anyone to share life with because you don't trust anyone enough to let them in

next lesson learned - what's the point, we should all be allowed to get a lethal injection if we don't want to continue our shitty lives. We can't? Oh well, I'll just continue being miserable and lonely until I get murdered or die of a disease or naturally die in my sleep

avenger

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I have to disagree with that. I intended to, but I was half asleep, it was fist thing in the morning and it was just dam comfortable to just leave it in. And so I had my first child...
Pre-ejaculate may also contain some sperm and therefore lead to an increased risk of pregnancy. Any woman who allows you to do this is out of her mind. (or an ESFP...)

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 9:04 PM
-->
Don't stare at the sun, it is bright

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 9:04 PM
-->
*gets sacked from a job*

lessons learned -
1) keep your head down and just do your work and never ever stand up against things going on that are wrong, never stand up for what you believe in
2) people are nasty and not to be trusted because ultimately they will just stab you in the back

*following lessons learned from above*

lesson learned
1) doing that will ultimately make you miserable and tired of how shit life is and your inability to change anything, what's the point of life?
2) you don't have anyone to share life with because you don't trust anyone enough to let them in

next lesson learned - what's the point, we should all be allowed to get a lethal injection if we don't want to continue our shitty lives. We can't? Oh well, I'll just continue being miserable and lonely until I get murdered or die of a disease or naturally die in my sleep

Lmfao or stand up for what you believe in no matter the consequences. There are plenty of jobs out there, fam.

I'd rather stand and fall for what I believe in than give into the weakness of fear. You can always get back up.

(Inb4 legless jokes)

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
1) Actively document your thoughts and ideas. The act of writing allows them to develop & grow in a form that's persistent and referable. Preferably in a way that other people can access, to learn from or provide feedback on. Share discoveries with others, or it's easy to silo & delude yourself. Test your thoughts against reality.

2) Avoid narrowing the scope of what you can achieve satisfaction from too much. If in a rut try out something new, it allows for fresh connections and encounters. If your environment is toxic, move somewhere else. Read widely.

3) It's more important to be doing something you love, in which you feel inspired & are learning, and be getting paid pittance, than to be getting paid loads to do something that makes you feel banal. Struggle (pressure) & intensity is good, if broken up with periods of rest -- if you're complacent you likely won't do much.

4) Don't default to blaming people but rather try to understand. There is always a reason for everything someone does, whether they know it or not. Try to know why you do what you do. You can't change other people, but you can learn a lot from most experiences.

5) Don't feed negative thoughts. If you're feeling depressed focus on your health and try to remain active. It passes eventually.

6) Be the change you want to see in the world. It's possible to inspire other people and bring your visions into the world. Persistent effort on work you feel deeply connected to over time pays off.

7) Well developed ENTJs are fucking amazing. Don't doubt the raw power of Te omg. :P

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 3:04 AM
-->
-When stressed, think of yourself as a sitting in a small life raft at sea during a storm. If you take a deep breath and hold on, you'll still be floating when the storm passes.

-A month from now, I won't remember what I was worried about today. I'll only remember what happened.

-Making your bed may seem stupid in the morning, but at night, when you're tired, you'll be grateful.

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
Today 2:04 AM
-->
~ nothing lasts forever.

~ in order to intelligently resolve something, the truth of it must first be accepted.

~ the best way to gain the love of others is to authentically love yourself (including your flaws).

~ perfection is not attainable, but excellence may just be.

~ i don't know anything in its entirety, especially not the thing i'm trapped within; myself.

~ impartial intentionality is one of the best attitudes to have to most matters of adult life.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
One way or another, the really stupid, ill-thought out, impulsive shit you did when you were young dumb and full of cum will come back to haunt you.

Deal with shit now, or deal with it later at 10x the cost/pain.

Simple is always better.

Be you victim or perpetrator, cops will always try to mind-fuck you.

Don't get hung up on "happiness". Contentment is a much more stable investment.

That's all the bullshit I've got.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
Oh yeah, forgot the most important one...

Don't get in fights with people who have insanity on their side.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:34 PM
-->
+ It's much more important to have a practical and internal framework of self evaluation than to compare oneself to the face other people present.

+ People are variable and complex, and even best friends hold misconceptions about one another.

+ Give people the benefit of the doubt, at least until you've got a decent sample-size.

+ Thinking is a way to supplement doing, not a replacement.

+ Everyone has something to teach, even if that be through their mistakes.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Don't be late. The various benefits of being on time or ahead can help you in ways you can't predict, even if you're not prepared for what's to come.

Don't overtake above 60% of the normal power output of your vehicle if you can't see farther than 400 meters on a single-lane if you care about the life of your passengers, your own or the driver's on the opposite lane.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 11:04 PM
-->
Jalapeno poppers - don't eat them for dinner only, unless you like having your insides feel like Tabasco sauce was poured all over them or unless you like having your butthole burn.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
"Don't bother with one liner pieces of advice, life is too complicated and contextual for them to be much use"

A variation of "This statement is a lie"

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 7:04 PM
-->
Never wait for instructions. Find something to do.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Buy cheap, buy twice.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
If you're looking for a compendium of life advice from 'successful' people, get your hands on the book Tools of Titans, by Tim Ferriss (and don't write it off for being a Tim Ferriss book, it's got really valuable content from people of almost all professional fields - TF fills the role of editor)

Start with Part 3, then backtrack to Part 2 and maybe read part 1 if it takes your fancy. Or just do whatever - it's not meant for reading cover to cover.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Ask for one liners, then don't follow them.

Turnevies

Local time
-->
Not everything must be treated as a math problem, with a unique solution.

When people see a problem, they intuitively respond to it, in a way that is far from perfect. Nevertheless, it is often far more productive then keeping on analyzing forever without having the balls to take action.

Venflon

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->
Don't choose your path based on who you are, but rather, who you want to be - our choices mold us.

Don't judge other people. We are all a product of specific life events, most are uncontrollable.

Life is NOT random, lived my life for 20+ years as an atheist and I've seen more coincidence than plausibly dismissable. Don't overthink it; no body has or will ever have the true answer as to why.

Science should always be viewed as our interpertation of the universe, rather than the rules of the universe itself. Don't mistreat science as a religion.

Unpredictability is the spice of life. :phear:

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
Today 5:04 AM
-->
Life is like a giant fractal maze. You get to spend time exploring tiny pieces of it. If you're especially motivated, you might explore a great deal compared to other human beings around you. Then you die.

Turnevies

Local time
-->
Intellectual things and ambition are useful for keeping intelligent people busy, but their fulfilment cannot equate to the smell of freshly mown grass or the shampoo in a woman 's hair.

(hope that doesn't sound too creepy :p )

Sandglass

Pixelated
Local time
-->
Drink more water, you are probably not getting enough.

TAC

Inspectorist
Local time
-->
If your someone who is always honest like myself. Learn to not speak. I've found that honesty is a false virtue; in practice it will crush you.

AndyC

Hm?
Local time
-->
You are everyone around you

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
but their fulfilment cannot equate to the smell of freshly mown grass

Seriously? Have you pushed the mower yourself recently? If so, are the gasoline fumes part of your mystique? I'm just like, been there done that...

or the shampoo in a woman 's hair.

Which woman? Heck, which shampoo?

You some kind of 'S' trying on INTPForum for size?

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
If your someone who is always honest like myself. Learn to not speak. I've found that honesty is a false virtue; in practice it will crush you.

Well, 'always' honest is the problem here. You'd do just fine if you decided some Rules of Engagement. When to be honest, when not to be, and how much one way or the other. Honesty isn't a false virtue, always being honest is a false virtue. Pointedly, it's often used as an excuse to be cruel to people, because "honesty must override compassion" for nonexistent a priori reasons. Someone sold someone the "honesty" Kool-Aid at some point in their life... well, every culture on the planet engages in Image Management, the showing and hiding of selected parts of the Self.

Turnevies

Local time
-->
Seriously? Have you pushed the mower yourself recently? If so, are the gasoline fumes part of your mystique? I'm just like, been there done that...

Which woman? Heck, which shampoo?

You some kind of 'S' trying on INTPForum for size?

Had a minor existential crisis yesterday, those moments where inferior functions start demanding attention because I 've been neglecting them too much lately.
As someone who spends most of his days working on abstract theoretical models, I tell you that they are not 'everything'; the more I try to be a machine, the more I realize I am a man instead and so are you.
The cure for an unhealthy dose of nihilism is not in logic or reasoning, it is in keeping on being amazed by the so-called small things in life. They remind you that you are alive.
A better example still would be playing with your grandchildren probably, but I'm still too young for that.

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
A better example still would be playing with your grandchildren probably, but I'm still too young for that.

I have a dog. That makes me immune to the problem of "completely losing it". Can always hug the dog! Works for random people on the street too.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Floss every day

Turnevies

Local time
-->
I have a dog. That makes me immune to the problem of "completely losing it". Can always hug the dog! Works for random people on the street too.

Go shove your sarcasm up your small intestine.
These things may not be everything in life, but they remain the basics and should not be forgotten. It is typical INTP (for me at least, but I think some other people have this too) to get caught up in large intellectual ideas, theorems, vision on the future of mankind... and meanwhile get angry at people for being stupid and only caring about the mundane, despising the status quo, getting towards a burnout but meanwhile forgetting about these small things myself.
It won't make you immune for losing it, but at least it will make you more resistant to a particular way of losing it.

Yes this sounds pretty mellow. If someone won't agree with this lesson for now, that is how it is (as is the case for all life lessons). When the time is ready, you may come to realize these things.

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
Go shove your sarcasm up your small intestine.

That wasn't sarcasm. Sorry you haven't managed to understand that. Perhaps you should at least spend some time at an animal shelter before considering becoming a pet owner.

Turnevies

Local time
-->
That wasn't sarcasm. Sorry you haven't managed to understand that. Perhaps you should at least spend some time at an animal shelter before considering becoming a pet owner.

Okay, you win ;).

AndyC

Hm?
Local time
-->
Accepting stupidity is essential for transcending it.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 6:34 PM
-->
+ If you don't understand, state as much. People respect it far more than you trying to pretend you understand. If you can be specific about what exactly it you don't get, you can even look smarter by asking questions (if that's what was stopping you asking questions before).

+ You are the result of the environment you choose. Yes you have a choice, though your capacity to choose is the result of the environment you were given. Go figure.

+ Rock out with cock snout daily.

+ An apple a day is to doctors as garlic is to vampires.

+ Gambling on the everyday is an excellent way to drive social dynamics.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 4:04 AM
-->
You get a lot further being liked than you do being smart.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
It's probably more than just a fart.

I learned that one from a friend.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Discipline = Freedom

(Via Jocko Willink in Tools of Titans)

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
Some people have become hardwired to never being at fault, never accepting blame, never taking responsibility for how they inflict themselves on others, and not even having much awareness for how injurious they are. It's always someone else to blame, someone else who has the "deep problems" interacting with people. You won't get a genuine apology out of them, i.e. "I'm sorry I did X." They will say, "I'm sorry that YOU FEEL X". Which is a lie, they aren't the slightest bit sorry even for that. Trying to argue with such a person is frustrating, until you finally realize they are pathological and you're completely wasting your time trying to get any accommodation out of them.

One can ask oneself, why are some people like this? In some cases I think it is because they are old, have gotten this far in life abusing people this way, and have no incentive whatsoever to change how they treat people. They will die this way. They may even have a few decades of their obnoxiousness left in them, to inflict on others before they go down. It's interesting to contemplate the fate of the species when a certain contingent of human beings are like this.

Why do they become this way in the 1st place? I'm not sure, but I don't believe anyone is born this way. I think it has to do with some kind of emotional injury some time during their life. To cover the wound, an impenetrable shield is developed which brokers no compromise.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
@bvanevery
I'm not seeing the lesson :confused:

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
@bvanevery
I'm not seeing the lesson :confused:

"Trying to argue with such a person is frustrating, until you finally realize they are pathological and you're completely wasting your time trying to get any accommodation out of them."

Minute Squirrel

magician
Local time
-->
Most of the advice you'll receive from internet forums is a load of shit. However, every now and again, you'll find a gem amongst the massive piles of shit you've accumulated....and that gem will still have shit all over it.

Top Bottom