• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What songs are you listening to? /Redux/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptinoid

I'm not half the man I used to be — but I'm twice
Local time
Today 1:37 PM
-->

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:37 AM
-->
Hazard a guess at what my username is named after, rather than just using the Norwegian word for hell. The history fascinated me for quite a while a few years ago or so. What was it like to be there as it was all going on, where you quite informed about it, or just heard what the media had to say? Because not only what Euronymous did there was that stint Varg had with the church arson's and everything else interlinked.

There were so many rumours I didn't pay attention to any of them in the end. When the church burnings started I just thought it was retarded. The few people involved in the emotional dramas ended up killing each other or themselves, and there is one person left who now lives in France with his wife and kids. The music still stands. I appreciated the reactionary movement against the church and I appreciated the music, but I had no understanding for the violence which had more to do with individual egos than the movement itself.

That tech metal sounds pretty good, not really my thing but it's catchy with decent vocals :)
The first time I heard it I couldn't help bursting out in laughter :D. I have since listened to the album properly and appreciate the complexity and technical skill involved. It's not something I can listen to any time, I agree. Some people called it "The Thinking Man's Metal". They didn't subscribe to the high adrenaline/testosterone performances, but instead put emphasis on concepts and musicianship.

The crust punk reminded me of Darkthrones newer stuff(ish) not their latest on double checking but certainly a change in direction
Yes, there are similarities there.

I haven't really been in the BM scene lately as I'v been listening to, well, everything that's good, some subjective facet of art that I appreciate which is defined in ways still unknown to me; there is gold in (nearly?*) every genre.
I tend to agree with you. It's just harder to find the gold in certain genres.

Do you know Ulver?
They've gone through massive genre changes and are one of my favorite bands.
Yes, I have listened to some of their stuff. I don't mind the second track, but it sounds like a lot of things I have heard before. It fails to hold my attention. I grew up listening to Pink Floyd, so it has been difficult to find bands that surpass their progressive ingenuity as I tend to use them as comparison. It's probably not fair to Ulver, who seem innovative, technically skilled and creative enough -- but I have trouble holding my attention to it. Perhaps I need to listen harder.

As for what I'm listening to atm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGjnCB3o4TY
I don't mind that. It requires a certain mood though, which I often find very difficult to tap into. I find myself wishing the vocals weren't there for some reason. Perhaps it's the pervasive fragility that gets to me. The second half of the track is different; they are doing something interesting there. Prog bands like Mogwai and Mono come to mind.

The sound reminds me a little of the shoegazer movement in the 80s and 90s, which sadly died off. 90s Australian band Swirl is worth a listen, they remained largely unknown outside the borders of Australia. Their cool, melancholy detachment is somewhat easier for me to access:

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 9:37 PM
-->

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 1:37 PM
-->

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->

Olivia

Just go
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->
Anything and everything by Twenty One Pilots; their lyrics are really deep - it gives me something to think about, and keeps me going.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 7:37 PM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I love this movie's soundtracks :) (esp a drop filled with memories)
This was a surprisingly nice ost. I enjoy watching Satoshi Kon's works, he (his team) usually provided great visuals and narrative/topic. Paprika is an exception when it comes to music.

Yeah, that's a nice song, songs where one can forget everything and get lost for a long time are great. Relaxing wells of imagination and dreams.

Local time
-->
I enjoy watching Satoshi Kon's works, he (his team) usually provided great visuals and narrative/topic. Paprika is an exception when it comes to music.

agreed. Satoshi kon and mamoru oshii(dir. of angel's egg and ghost in the shell) are masters of animated film making

(Btw, angel's egg has one of the most beautiful OSTs I've ever come across...check it out if you haven't already.)

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
(Btw, angel's egg has one of the most beautiful OSTs I've ever come across...check it out if you haven't already.)
I haven't yet. Mamoru Oshii is one of my favourites but after seeing some mishaps (Patlabor was a failure) I don't delve into his works blindly.
I'll look into it.
GitS 1&2 have a great ost by Kenji Kawai.
Yoko Kanno did an openning for the series, but I'd recommend listening to her whole creative range; jazz, blues, electronics.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 9:37 PM
-->
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom