• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why did you pick your name?

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Today 1:46 AM
-->
I have a history of using hundreds of usernames, but for the most part I use actual words, often food (I'm not sure why, but playing a first person shooter as CostcoDog is fun). Anyway, I use Decaf a lot because I though it fit my personality, being mellower than normal coffee.

So what about everyone else?

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Today 4:46 AM
-->
Re: Why did you pick you name?

I usually have trouble coming up with usernames. Radioactive springtime was just a little joke one of my friends made when we talked about gloabal warming in oceanography class.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:46 AM
-->

I picked it because it's my name with a tilde on the end.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 9:46 PM
-->

It was just a whim that I submitted before I had time to think my way out of it.

Aphasia

Local time
Today 4:46 PM
-->

Because it describes me. Also, it sounds and looks quite good.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 3:46 AM
-->

I'm a computer tech and its an inside joke. Dumb User error = Error code ID 10 t. So I chose NoID10ts for some reason.

The other one we use is "there is a loose nut behind the keybord" but somehow "NoLooseNuts" just didn't sound right (at least on this type of forum)! :D

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

It's short, easy to pronounce, meaningless, and rarely used.

Raison D'etre

Local time
-->

My name means reason for being in french. I picked it because I am searching for my raison d'etre.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I... really have no idea where this name came from. The last forum I ever was a part of was back in 7th/8th grade, so 6-7 years ago, and I used it then. And even then it was just a word in my head... I have no idea where it came from or how it got there.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:46 AM
-->

Reason for choosing this username? If I told you, I would have to kill you. And I don`t feel like murdering today, so...

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

i found it in the dictionary a long time ago. when i was in high school, it was my hip hop alias lol.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:46 AM
-->

I had several different nicks, this one kind of fits me (not that much in this forum actually since I agree with a lot of you on many things, but still...). I honestly dont know if it sounds good, but its a nice Pearl Jam song also, so it cant be that bad :)

Artifice Orisit

It just suited the picture, unless someone speaks Latin or has a great vocabulary I reckon they'd just think "cog-something" + "robot" = robot name.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hmm. I never thought about the "cog" part. I just thought it was a misspelling of the word "cognizant". That's English, by the way.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:46 AM
-->

Artifice Orisit

Thanks for saving my dignity there, cool picture by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I chose my name when I was young (5-ish). It's a relic of my past and of happier times.

@ID10t

Error: PEBCAD

Problem exists between chair and desk.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
It's a classic. I learned it from a co-worker after it took me about two minutes to realize the computer wasn't turning on because I switched off the PSU... D'OH

(I'm an intern at a computer repair shop...)

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hmm. I never thought about the "cog" part. I just thought it was a misspelling of the word "cognizant". That's English, by the way.

You'll never catch me sullying the mother tongue with a Z!

Titania

Local time
Today 10:46 AM
-->
Where the nowhere begins. Some like to call it Fin
I have never had a proper nickname, so I chose this one, wich is my second name and quite rare here in Finland... It's also a moon of Uranus and it's obviously connected with the Greek mythology... And it sounds nice.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
(Ah! Fire Emblem! I remember now, that's the game where Marth and Ike came from, isn't it?)

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
....D'oh! It's so much more than that...

But yes. And Roy.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Well, duh, I know that. I mean that's where I've heard of it before.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
You should really play it. Or I'll send you hate mail with copies of the game in it. Seriously.

icywindow

Local time
-->
Still should be able to pick it up at EBGamestops in some areas. Let me see if there's one in this area.

I just came up with the name one day just because it happened. No explanation, it sounded good at the time.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You should really play it. Or I'll send you hate mail with copies of the game in it. Seriously.

Oh, please do. I wanted to play it, but I didn't want to bother getting a copy.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Friar Pug Rush, I'd like to hear your answer to this question.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
Today 3:46 AM
-->
I like names that have multiple meanings. The first reason why I chose Grey matters was out of the irritation (almost exasperation) and frustration from being surrounded by mostly illogical and frivolous people, therefore I feel the need to point out that gray matter really does matter. Secondly I am going gray, with age comes wisdom and that matters also. Thirdly I don't believe that everything is or should be either black or white, gray matters also.

Local time
-->
Friar Pug Rush, I'd like to hear your answer to this question.
Well now, how could someone with an ego as oversized as mine possibly turn down a question directed towards him, about him?
Friar Rush and Pug are aliases in folk mythology to Puck, a faery/demon/goblin/puca/etc., (depending on what story, mythology, and my mood), most commonly known for the part he played in Shakespeare's a Midsommer Night's Dream, my favorite play by Big Willie besides Hamlet, and infinitely more catchy, although I guess "Prince of Denmark," does have a certain ring to it. The Puck was known to be rather overly grateful sometimes, extremely vindictive other times, alternately clumsy and graceful, foolish and wise. This, obviously, covers a lot of bases, but the essence of Puck, in my opinion, is his mercurial nature, which I typically share, and otherwise attempt to emulate.
Anyway, I think the good Friar Rush is more representative of the positive aspects of my personality than a few other screen names I use, and I very much look at screen names as masks of personality, not necessarily deceptive, but definitely selective.
I am pretty rabidly pro-faith (mostly because I don't believe in anything, myself, and I attribute most, if not all, of my unhappiness to that deficiency), and almost as equally anti-religion, because I think people should think for themselves and stop letting Jesus, or anyone else for that matter, do it for them. It is my opinion that if ignorance is a choice, then so is intelligence.
So it's literal, figurative, AND ironic! Yay! Words are fun!
I could probably keep drawing connections, but past this point, I'd just be making things up, assuming, of course, that my subconscious hadn't already thought of them...
Plus, it was either this, or ZippyTheGutterSlug, and since I'm using Captain Howdy as my avatar, I figured something a little more positive, or at least something ambiguous, would be more harmonically chaotic.
Thanks very much for asking, Jesin. There's very little that I can talk about at greater length, with greater aplomb, or with as much pleasure, as myself. It helps that I am, typically, my own best source of information about the topic, very passionate about the subject, and am probably the most beautiful person I've ever met. Most days, anyway. ::Grinn::

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 7:46 PM
-->
I like names that have multiple meanings. The first reason why I chose Grey matters was out of the irritation (almost exasperation) and frustration from being surrounded by mostly illogical and frivolous people, therefore I feel the need to point out that gray matter really does matter. Secondly I am going gray, with age comes wisdom and that matters also. Thirdly I don't believe that everything is or should be either black or white, gray matters also.

I like that!

ShaiGar

Local time
Today 6:16 PM
-->
Millenia before I came into this current life I was Shai Gar, I will be Shai Gar long after this vessel rots. I did not choose my name, I forged it in the fires of the reincarnate creation star (minor star of NGC 6543), by thrusting the curve of the universe through the pillars of creation into the star. This formed a Trinary star system where once it was merely binary, and an echo rang out through the universe "Shaitan Aus Garathenia".

Years of research have found many meanings for the name through studies of religion, symbolism and language.

"Shaitan Aus Garathenia", the most complex and accurate form of sound that rebounded throughout the universe, in Arabic the name "Shaitan" means (as a noun) "adversary" or "enemy" or "opponent," (and as an adjective) "adversarial," "opposisng," or "evil". "Shai" is also known within the egyptian mythology as Fate. "Aus" is a german word meaning "End" or "Finish", differing from its uncapitalised form "aus" which means "[to be] of" "out", "from" or "off" when with regards to light or power. "Garathenia" appears to be an amalgamation of the words "Gar" and "Athena". "Gar" exists in OldEnglish and Mongolian, in OE it's meaning is "Spear" the staff weapon with a bladed or sharpened end, whereas in Mongolian the word is translated as "Hand", refering to the Hands of an Army, refered to today as "Flanks", specifically used in pincer movements. "Athena" is an ancient cosmological power, weilding power over wisdom and war.

The name has been found in a few forms, notably "ShaiGar", "Shai' Gar", and "Shai Aus Gar".

The mainstream accepted form of meanings have been:

• The Spear of The Adversary: An Entity that is devoted to knowledge, both the collection of, understanding of, and distribution of, in order to topple regimes of ingrained stupidity and constancy.
  • Hand of The Adversary: An agent of destruction and change which moves waves within society towards an unspecified end.
  • The Adversarial Hand: One who acts with the intention of providing an opposite, and controversial point of view, in order to show other sides to an argument, or a situation

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 9:46 AM
-->
Uff. Long explanations (and imaginary ones, my iNtuition likes that :p)). I won't have such a long one.

The name Ogion comes from a fantasy series from Ursula LeGuin, Earthsea. Ogion is not the main person in that series, but he is the first mentor of the protagonist. He (Ogion) is an old, wise wizard who lives very secluded in the woods high up a mountain. He is very quiet, observant and curious.
Two little quotes, one from Ogion, and one passage from the book:
"To hear, one must be silent." Ogion, the Wizard of Re Albi

When it rained Ogion would not even say the spell that every weather-worker knows, to send the storm aside. In a land where sorcerers come thick, like Gont or the Enlades, you may see a raincloud blundering slowly from side to side and place to place as one spell shunts it on to the next, till at last it is buffeted out over the sea where it can rain in peace. But Ogion let the rain fall where it would. Ged crouched among the dripping bushes wet and sullen, and wondered what was the use of having power if you were too wise to use it.

There is nice page i found to this topic:
Wizards as hermits

I picked this nick some 6 years or so ago as i registered my first emailaccount and sticked to it because i liked it. In the last years i nearly forgot why i icked it, but the search i started after reading this thread brought it back to me (and now i will read Earthsea anew ;) and i have Taoism as a research topic).

Ah well, now my explanation got as long as the others.

Ogion

ChaosTheory

Local time
-->
I think the whole theory and implication about the Chaos Theory is really interesting and I think it's name just sounds cool.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It happened to be the name I was using to moderate the forums on my newspaper's Web site. Usually I use my real name.

IntenseBurger

Local time
-->
Some girl in middle school used to call me BurgerKing. So that was my user name.

Then half way through high school I got bored of it. I thought, "Hey, I need a more exciting name."

Thus IntenseBurger was born. Then my senior year of high school I thought of Ferdinand 13th. So I switch between those now.

eudemonia

still searching
Local time
-->
I like Greek names. When I was self employed I called my company 'sophrosyne' which means achieving wisdom by balancing reason and emotion. Then I got bored of that and wanted something a bit more spiritual and less logical. So I chose eudemonia (you - d' - mone - ia). It means spirit of goodness and happiness in Greek. Like the others - I think it sounds nice and more feminine than sophrosyne.

James Black

Local time
-->
My names James. "I'm the new black" (and several variants) is an egotistical screen name I adopted a long time ago. Mix the two together, and you have James Black.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
It comes from a game called "The Longest Journey". Basically it implies a balance between chaos and order as well as reconciliation of differences by understanding their inherent unity.

Taylored

Local time
-->
Mine is kind of a long story. I came up with this name for my music. About 6 years ago I grew tired of listening to music. Shortly after that I realized it was because I did not consider most of the trash I heard to be actual music... So I started making my own. I did this for myself, but then I started distributing it to my friends. At that point I needed a name for my music. I named myself Taylored. It is a play on words and my name. It was music tailored for my ears and my middle name is Taylor... so Taylored was born. Now I use it for everything.

severus

Local time
-->
My names James. "I'm the new black" (and several variants) is an egotistical screen name I adopted a long time ago. Mix the two together, and you have James Black.

When I saw your sn I thought it was a Harry Potter reference.
James Potter, Sirius Black.

Local time
-->
Stercus accidit= MANURE OCCURS in Latin. That makes me happy.

Also, I hate picking usernames, so I'd rather have one that nobody understands. And if they do happen to understand it, it's not too dumb...

I've always wanted a good pseudonym, though (one that actually sounds like a name), and I've never been able to actually come up with one.

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
Auburn -

It's my hair color - most noticeable in the sun. It's also a more or less neutral name - as far as gender/race/age/etc. I prefer to always keep a certain level of mystery to myself.

EloquentBohemian

MysticDragon
Local time
-->
...for multiple reasons.

Eloquent because language is how we think and communicate and the words we utilize in our given languages are the elements of our communication. The words we choose when communicating are extremely important and their meanings must be clear. Eloquence is having or exercising the power of fluent, forceful, and appropriate speech. Though I am not in any language profession, words, their sounds, the way they flow when marching in a sentence or dancing in lines of Poetry have always been my Companions.

Bohemian mainly because it illustrates my lifestyle, never anywhere long, never attached, always Nowhere... "now" and "here". Most of my life has been a series of moves from one place to another. In early life, a result of my parents; in later life, in search of Knowledge and Meaning. I have always been, and ever shall be, a Wanderer, a Pilgrim of Knowledge, a humble Knight questing Grail after Grail.

Top Bottom