• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

FaceBook

JarNew

Banned
Local time
Today 11:41 AM
-->
Anyone else spend massive amounts of time on facebook for whatever self made reason?

It's like a look into the minds of everyone and all the common factors and similarities my facebook "FRIENDS" share.

You can guess at who's friends who who for what reasons.

You can analyze people's emotions in their pictures and how their emotions are directed toward others.

I just find it fascinating. It's like a window into people's psyches and personalities. People who you don't even know and probably never will.

There's so many similarities too...

It's ridiculous

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 10:41 AM
-->
No.

I despise the thing. Its social exuberance depresses me to no end, as does the realisation that the majority of humanity possesses the combined intellect of a teaspoon of curd.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Today 5:41 AM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
I do spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook. I am not proud of it. But it can prove interesting at times.

I do find myself obsessed with the "Like" button. I really think we should add them to posts here, actually... And add a "Like" count to the profile.

Alas, to think of all the "Like"s that I've already missed out on in the past...

.L

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 10:41 AM
-->
I do spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook. I am not proud of it. But it can prove interesting at times.

I do find myself obsessed with the "Like" button. I really think we should add them to posts here, actually... And add a "Like" count to the profile.

Alas, to think of all the "Like"s that I've already missed out on in the past...

.L

Thats twice you have mentioned this. We seem to have a problem.

I would prefer a 'dislike' button, there is too much nonsense of Facebook and none of it is being degraded appropriately.

(On the INFJ forum they have a rep system, that allows one to like or dislike individuals posts with a comment included...)

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
I STRONGLY agree that we should include a dislike button. That would finally balance the scales. And we're all callous enough to handle it, too--on facebook, it would surely induce petty squabbles. Here, though? We're fine telling people we don't like them, and hearing that we're not liked. It would be beautiful.

Please, moderators? Admin? Please?

Stoic Beverage

has a wide pancake of knowledge
Local time
-->
I was on facebook for one month. I personally hated it from the first day, but I was told "it gets better, just stay on." And I did. The flow of intellectually insulting and meaningless nonsense just increased. I deleted my account, and took a hot shower afterward.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
Today 12:41 PM
-->
Facebook just seems boring. Bored people, posting boring status messages and even more boring videos. I like observing people, but I get bored by looking at the same boring façade they put up there very quickly. I think it has something to do with being aware that pretty much everyone you know will be reading it, and wanting to be cool or something. It's boring, even if you are cool.

As for the like and dislike button - if you agree or disagree with a post you should have the decency to elaborate why.
If you're to lazy to elaborate, keep your opinion to yourself. Or put it up on Facebook so people could like it.

The whole idea of a forum is people discussing things, not saying: "Me Likey!" Ugh

Sorry for the tangent, Jar.

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
It's not about laziness. It's about subtlety. Often I see a post that I approve of, but have nothing to add to. So I just nod approvingly and move in. In a real life conversation, this subtle motion is recognize by the group as meaningful; online, no one ever knows. To just go out and say "I like" is a bit vulnerable and too much, especially for soft-spoken types like us.

A like/dislike system is fantastic. It adds an entire dimension to interaction in large groups online, I think.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
It's not about laziness. It's about subtlety. Often I see a post that I approve of, but have nothing to add to. So I just nod approvingly and move in. In a real life conversation, this subtle motion is recognize by the group as meaningful; online, no one ever knows. To just go out and say "I like" is a bit vulnerable and too much, especially for soft-spoken types like us.

A like/dislike system is fantastic. It adds an entire dimension to interaction in large groups online, I think.

If you have nothing to add, why do you think it matters whether you agree? If the majority agrees with something or likes it - does it make it closer to being right or true? Historically - no.
Maybe we should discus this trough visitor messages, or in a new thread?
Sorry again, Jar.

JarNew

Banned
Local time
-->
No it's all good I'm reading everything and I'm liking it. I agree a lot about what's being said.

No worries this topic is about FaceBook and this all relates to FaceBook

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 1:41 PM
-->
I find facebook repulsive - it has so much information about me that I wouldn't even share with myself, not to mention thousands and billions of people that just pass by, rating my thoughts and feelings to no end and react to them as though it's their business. After awhile it gets even worse - you need to think how can you phrase your feelings and thoughts so others wouldn't get hurt.

It's a window to other people's privacy which no longer exists, the information isn't deleted either - which means everything that you write on the board you can either "hide" from yourself or just delete\deactivate your account - nothing in between.

Sure it get's interesting when you are the viewer but I don't know any people that I would like to "see" their personality - I care for no one. Perhaps only for experimenting needs - asking all kinds of MBTI and Socionics questions which will confuse people regarding your intentions, which actually is quite funny.

Too bad you have to have an account in order to reply on someones board.

Ahhhh... It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Amazing.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
I like to stalk people on facebook.

Me too!

I enjoy roaming around facebook as well, watching what people are doing, what bothers them...

JarNew

Banned
Local time
-->
Yea it's pretty fun actually. When you relate to them you actually learn a lot about your self :D

Wish

Wellington
Local time
-->
I deactivated my facebook last week. The only times I have thought about it were when I would go to click my facebook tab out of habit only to realize it wasn't there.

Otherwise it has gone essentially unnoticed to me as the only people I really care to talk to, I already talk to in person.

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->
I like to stalk people on facebook.
Yup, I do that too. Unfortunately, most people I find interesting don't have much information about themselves there.
The other two main reasons I spend quite some time on facebook are that there are numerous people I know there I would hardly have any contact with without facebook (also, I prefer writing to people to talking to them, so it increases my social interaction with people I meet regularly, as well); and I have a strong desire for self-expression, and I cannot spontaneously come up with a place better than facebook for that purpose.

jachian

Local time
Today 6:41 AM
-->
Anyone else spend massive amounts of time on facebook for whatever self made reason?

It's like a look into the minds of everyone and all the common factors and similarities my facebook "FRIENDS" share.

You can guess at who's friends who who for what reasons.

You can analyze people's emotions in their pictures and how their emotions are directed toward others.

I just find it fascinating. It's like a window into people's psyches and personalities. People who you don't even know and probably never will.

There's so many similarities too...

It's ridiculous

I only use it to gather intelligence on people..... "friends".

Its a great spying tool..... I just love it!!

Anchorite

I trusted you Steve Guttenberg!
Local time
-->
I had a facebook account for about a week and a half before I deleted it because it was useless. The few people I actually want to talk to I can call or text at any time.

stig

Local time
-->
Facebook is absolutely awesome at lots of things.

1. Great at locating all the people you once knew.
2. Great at confirming just how much you don't know the people you once knew, and wish you still didn't.
3. Great at producing the most banal of status updates.
4. Great at showing you just how much you don't belong in the vast majority of society.
5. Absolutely stunning at flooding you with religious drivel.

But that's just my opinion on the matter. I'm sure the younger you are, the less like that it is. Maybe. You have to give your friends and acquaintances 10 years or more to mature into cattle before it really gets bad, I'm sure.

JarNew

Banned
Local time
-->
Did you hack me?

Saoshyant

Put me in Coach
Local time
-->
I like to look at pictures of hot girls on facebook. It gets a +1 from me. The one thing I do not understand is why people change their profile picture about twice a week. It is like enough already, can't you pick out one you like?

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
-->
Facebook, at least in the communities I have had the fortune, (and misfortune), of being a part of, has become a necessary evil. At least if you wish to maintain a somewhat up to date and active social life. Events are posted on it that are taking place around campus, polls for business projects, updates about what my friends are doing/where they are. Those sorts of things eliminate the time consuming process of actually having to ask, instead you can just click on their page and find out what you need to know.

What's worse is how the professors embrace this online revolution, which has been dubbed Web 2.0, and actually encourage its use and utilization. I suppose this is necessary, as we are a progressive business school intent on teaching our students the competitive edge.

It is what it is. I use it. I don't spend an inordinate amount of time on it, no more than others in my peer group.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

.L

What? then why haven't ever "Liked" any of the stuff I've posted?:eek::slashnew:

EDIT: Actually, I used it as a BLOG. Since I've joined 18 months ago I've posted 2700 of my "photos" 3 or 4 hundred pages of my writings, 30 of my videos etc. I use to post stuff here and i do have links to a few of my albums somewhere around here, but to tell you the truth this hiding behind avatars is something i never have gotten used to - if someone wants to tell me they think I am full of shit - i give it more credence if they sign the criticism with a real name...

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 8:41 PM
-->
I use face book but not email. Main reasons are to stalk and find blackmail material adn to show the world how sarcasm is done.(But yahoo answers is good for the last one.)

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
Today 3:41 AM
-->
i use facebook to stay in touch with people and to IM while im on skype with other people. I dont use MSN or IRC so facebook/skype/ventrilo/texting is how i stay in touch with people :)

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
-->
What? then why haven't ever [sic] "Liked" any of the stuff I've posted?

Because I'm not your friend on facebook? :?

...but to tell you the truth this hiding behind avatars is something i never have gotten used to - if someone wants to tell me they think I am full of shit - i give it more credence if they sign the criticism with a real name...

Was this directed at me? If it was, you are going to have to be a little less veiled and tell me what you think directly--in which place I'll be glad to answer.

.L

BitRogue

Local time
-->
I use it grudgingly. I share photos of my travels with some close friends and family. Its the most convenient way. At least I get feedback here which never happened when I had a Flickr account. Also I randomly keep in touch with some folk I wouldn't normally do.

But, I have maxed out my security. I have deleted every bit of arbitrary information. Hidden every single game my friends play. (If you want to play games, play proper games, not some stupid social facebook junk). Removed every single app that can be removed. And NO ONE becomes my friend without me having met them in real life.

While I probably still share too much information, I really hope I've killed off any useful social engineering opportunities for stalkers. :)

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
-->
I think you might be slightly overestimating your appeal to a stalker. Are you that awesome that, if given even one scrap of information, a stalker would dedicate the rest of his time to following you around?

I mean, even I(not bragging here, I'm just saying[realize this might make it seem more like bragging to those who might not have thought so first, but a necessary risk, as some out their perceive me poorly which makes me....:(....] ), without maxed security, back before I thinned the herd back down to 500ish (it was in the 2000's), I had only had one single incident that could even be called stalking, at a stretch.

BitRogue

Local time
-->
I think you might be slightly overestimating your appeal to a stalker. Are you that awesome that, if given even one scrap of information, a stalker would dedicate the rest of his time to following you around?

Hmm, I suspect you didn't quite get the full impact about what I was saying. I care very little about stalkers. Stalk me all you like if it makes you feel happy, but I very much doubt I have any appeal to attract any stalkers. Thanks for the concern, tho.

What I was trying to allude to privacy of information. The cliched paranoia regarding how much information about you is floating around out there is a very real concern. Social engineering is a real practice that is done by many people to obtain information illicitly. The threat is not about whether you're actually interesting enough to attract attention, but whos identity can someone borrow to to do something that they themselves dont want to be known for. The opening first minutes of the movie Takedown shows Kevin Mitnick social engineering his way into AT&Ts R&D division to get his hands on the specs of a new black box tapping device, an event that really happened in the 80s. Feel free to go around thinking you're a nobody, but identity theft is real and people are targeted fairly surreptitiously. Agreed, statistics are against you being the one targetted (unless you have an interesting job), but I just want to make it a bit more difficult so that they find someone else whos identity is just a tad easier to use.

While social engineering and identity theft are the most clandestine reasons to implement information protection, there are enough other reasons to do it as well, not the least in which how much you really trust Zuckerberg and his merry team to start selling yours and everyone elses information to third parties and happily call it 'using Facebook to personalise your other internet services' . How about that ex girlfriend of yours tracking your movements so she can torch your car for what you did to her. Isnt it just a little bit creepy that some of these sites know stuff about you that you swear youd never told them about? Or even sites being able to print details of where you are in the world and what information your browser is keeping about your surfing habits? Shall I carry on?

But [and here BitRogue stops and thinks for a second if it wise to do what he is about to do in light of having read all the previous comments :confused:] for all your Facebook stalking and social engineering needs (or fears), read http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-view-private-facebook-profiles/

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Because I'm not your friend on facebook? :?

Was this directed at me? If it was, you are going to have to be a little less veiled and tell me what you think directly--in which place I'll be glad to answer.

.L

Well, that's a good reason I suppose.

No, the comment was not directed at you, but rather at the community in general. I just watched my nephews grow up seemingly as players in role-playing games - as cartoon figures of sorts, with avatars and user names and it seems that they exhibit more confidence in this make-believe identity than their real identity. So I have trouble taking anyone seriously on these forums, until they've been around for a while ands I know I am communicating with someone being real and not a fabrication of make believe...

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
-->
Well, that's a good reason I suppose.

No, the comment was not directed at you, but rather at the community in general. I just watched my nephews grow up seemingly as players in role-playing games - as cartoon figures of sorts, with avatars and user names and it seems that they exhibit more confidence in this make-believe identity than their real identity. So I have trouble taking anyone seriously on these forums, until they've been around for a while ands I know I am communicating with someone being real and not a fabrication of make believe...

1) I am real.
2) It does make me very sad. I know how much of my life I have watched turn into wireless data and fly through the air, and when I was a little kid, I was about 7-8 before I even touched a computer, a box Windows 95.

Nowadays, my little five year old cousin has been playing random kids from Russia in Mario Kart Wii for over a year. I can only imagine what his life will be like.

aptx4869

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:41 PM
-->
I was thinking of deactivating my facebook account: http://suicidemachine.org/ but don't think I'd be able to. I use it to keep in contact with old friends, that's about it. Thing is they don't read emails anymore but if you send them a message on facebook you know they'll read it. I think with fb and technology in general it's okay to be a part of it, as long as you're in control and you're using it for your own advantage. Just don't get pulled by the current.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I use facebook. But I only really use it to connect to people I rarely talk to. The only thing I hate about it is the way some people have almost 1000 'friends' on there, and the 'like' button, "what am I doing" etc. All that kind of stuff is just useless and plain dumb.

I also think it's dumb how it's becoming a trend amongst 'intellectuals' to hate on facebook, "because you know, it's so mainstream and on such a low level that... Man."

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Facebook is fun but gets on my nerves that people are so reliant on the internet.
I think people would only be very bored these days if you took the internet/telephone away. It'd take a little while to get over the 'shock', but it'd probably turn out alright, we would just communicate like in the 1880s. I mean, it seems like we're extremely reliant on the internet etc. socially(I'm not taking all the money trafficking etc in account here, just the social/entertainment aspect of it all), but I don't think it's ultimately that bad. Or am I underestimating people's capability to adapt to new situations/setbacks here?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I think people would only be very bored these days if you took the internet/telephone away. It'd take a little while to get over the 'shock', but it'd probably turn out alright, we would just communicate like in the 1880s. I mean, it seems like we're extremely reliant on the internet etc. socially(I'm not taking all the money trafficking etc in account here, just the social/entertainment aspect of it all), but I don't think it's ultimately that bad. Or am I underestimating people's capability to adapt to new situations/setbacks here?

Not really. There are a lot more things to do in the world, it's just that most people's perceptions are limited by the routines they set themselves in.

I could be climbing mountains in the Himalayas right now, or hanging out at the pier. I just think there's nothing to do, but really I'm bored with my routine not with the world.

Awaken

Gone for good
Local time
-->
I miss the days when facebook was exclusive. I was able to see almost the entire evolution of facebook from only a handful of universities, to being completely open to the public. With this openness came a lot of silly changes, which made me quit facebook and never look back. Sigh, I miss the good ole days.

Nocturne

Vesper.
Local time
-->
Well... Here is my facebook story: I have joined it. It did not serve my purpose. I don't go on it anymore. It seems like an obsession now, it is rather fearful. How people are just addicted to it. Are we really that self-obsessed? It seems like all people think about is themselves on facebook. Plus, the crowd is overwhelming. ...

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I joined about 2 years ago only because I was bored. Everyone I knew either had myspace or nothing, so FB was just something to pass the time. Initially I was adding only school people, but then one by one family started to add me and it no longer was a "school friends only" thing. In accordance with my compartmentalization, I couldn't be eccentric and untamed on FB anymore cause I had family members who didn't know the "school me". So now I just stalk people. :phear:

Oh yea, some of the people from my old high school have taken FB MBTI tests, it's interesting to see the types they got. The most consistent results were ENFP and INFP.

Dimensional Transition

Local time
-->
Not really. There are a lot more things to do in the world, it's just that most people's perceptions are limited by the routines they set themselves in.

I could be climbing mountains in the Himalayas right now, or hanging out at the pier. I just think there's nothing to do, but really I'm bored with my routine not with the world.
That's what I meant.
That wouldn't just happen overnight though, people would stay bored for a few weeks probably.

In accordance with my compartmentalization, I couldn't be eccentric and untamed on FB anymore cause I had family members who didn't know the "school me". So now I just stalk people. :phear:
Hahaha, very recognizable.

mke2686

Local time
-->
I hate facebook. I really believe one of the worlds biggest problems is over socialization but maybe its just me

Iuanes

Local time
-->
Never had it, I understand the appeal, but there are things about facebook that go against the core of my spirit.

How about how I don't want my relationships with other people and my life to be 'public'?

Or rather, have my 'social' be 'socialized' once again.

It certainly has cheapened the meaning of 'friends'.

My best friends all don't have facebook.

I doubt having facebook would help me be better friends with them, although I might make more 'friends' out of people I just know. Whatever those kinds relations are worth, they are usually based on more social nicety than affinity, and social niceties take effort.

The notion of 'social' media is also repellant. Everybody makes a fluid artifact on Facebook whose content is their social life, which is reflexive, because Facebook for many now takes a prominent position in people's social life. Facebook is largely 'about' facebook.

My social life is not an artifact, or a group of signs, it is precisely nothing distinct, because it is a relation between things.

Oh yeah, privacy.

Now its like I can't get pictures taken with and by people who are on facebook. People don't have respect for a person's image anymore. Maybe I don't want my picture 'published' as such, maybe I don't want picture taken at all. They never ask.

I will be happy to know that to the future detectives, archivers, archeologists, researchers, compilers etc. of the vast electronic record, I will be little more than a blank and a few ambiguous signs.

myexplodingcat

thwriterislurking
Local time
-->
A parallel dimension of a thinker's creation
I'm sorry, but Facebook is the biggest waste of time ever. And this comes from a teenager. I'd rather pursue my own thing than pretend I care about the life of some dude in Norway.

INTP Forum is different, though; there's a whole group of people here who seem to like each other relatively well and are interested in how the others think. There are only about three or four people who seem to be really, openly profane, rude or hateful. People don't scream in terror when other post messages about yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa long, and they read them. It's amazing.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I use facebook, but mainly just because of a few people I know posting news stories, and a few people I know who post interesting or funny comments

kinetickyle

Thinking man's idiot
Local time
-->
I use Facebook more than I'd like. I mainly use it to keep in touch with a few friends that I would otherwise have completely lost contact with. I find that a lot of my old high school friends and I now have absolutely nothing in common. I prefer Twitter. My wife said it best when she said, "Twitter makes me like people I've never met, and Facebook makes me hate people I've known my entire life."

Top Bottom