• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Favorite series canceled before their time?

Scourgexlvii

Kind of like Batman... but completely different
Local time
Today 8:26 AM
-->
One thing I really hate in TV shows, is when a show with promise, or even, often times really good shows are canceled due to... who knows what...

Therefore, I have made a thread to reminisce about TV shows taken from us too soon.:rip::

My list: Early Edition: a show about a guy who receives tomorrow's newspaper, and He uses the information in it to save lives, but it always seems to ruin his personal life. It lasted fairly long, 90 episodes which were hour-long episodes, but after re-watching season 4, it just seems like the ending was rushed...

X-men Evolution: Ah yes... this was a favorite of mine when I was little, and it was the thing that got me interested in X-men. I'll have to say that nostalgic look-backs on it are probably better than the show was, but I was very entertained by it, and I felt that the 9 episode season 4 seemed rushed, ending with a slide-show of what I'd have to guess would be their plans for season 5 if it had been renewed.

Futurama: Now this is a cheat in a sense, as there have been straight to dvd movies recently, as well as the fact that it has been renewed for mid-2010 episodes on Comedy Central, but I'd have to say that it never should have been put on Hiatus.

Reaper, New Amsterdam, and Pushing Daisies: Now I'm grouping these all together, because they were all around the same time, and were all similar in their reason why they were canceled. Reaper, was a little different, but still they fell under the same umbrella of cancellation. All were essentially these stories where the main character had some supernatural ability that allowed/forced them to fight crime/evil souls (Kind of like Early Edition). The problem was that all of these shows made their episodes in a Variation of the same template. The problem was that they were all interesting shows, that would have lasted longer, if the writers had more variation in their shows. Now some tried to do this, but by the time they did, their ratings had declined beyond repair.

Scrubs: again, a cheat, as there will be a new season, focusing on Turk and Dr Cox as teachers, but it won't quite be the same, especially without the Janitor. Now, Despite it's long life, this is one of the shows that never really gets old, so it counts as going before it's time.

Now, name your favorite canceled shows, that went too soon.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 6:26 AM
-->
Arrested Development. :(

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 1:26 PM
-->
Two words: The Tick :mad:

nickgray

Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
Firefly
Futurama
Wonderfalls
Dead Like Me

Kokoro

Local time
-->
Jericho, they had to force the ending because it got cancelled too soon.
King of the Hill, it had a long run and some would argue that it went too long, but I miss it.

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
-->
I saw a shit-ton of possibility in Dollhouse that, sadly, never materialized.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
Pushing Daisies :angel:

I am my Own Worst Enemy ( Okay, it wasn't great, but it ended on a total cliffhanger. Very frustrating. )

transformers

Local time
-->
Scrubs went downhill after season 4ish, but I agree with you about Futurama. That show never should have been canceled, especially since the Simpsons in its sorry state is still on the air.

Cobra

Local time
Today 7:26 AM
-->
I realize that I'm ruining this, but from outside, when transformers is the most recent person to post in here, this thread says "Favorite series canceled... transformers." K, bye now.
:elephant:

EDIT: Reading Rainbow... TOOOO SOOOOOON!!!!!!

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Firefly
Jericho
Veronica Mars

(and others of course)

Ogion

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 5:26 AM
-->
Firefly

I wouldn't have minded if the Sopranos kept going either. It seems like there are a ton of others right out of reach of my mind, but... I'm a bit altered.

Schneizel

Local time
-->
Doctor Who. David Tennant left. Now, I know he "regenerates", but I consider each Doctor a totally different show and Tennant was fabulous in every aspect.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
The Ben Stiller show
Mr. Show with Bob & David
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at law
Home Movies
Dr. Katz
Korgoth Of Barbaria (Canceled after one episode, such a shame, it had so much promise)
Samurai Jack
Invader Zim
Titus
The wire

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
i feel like "Are You Afraid of the Dark" and "Wishbone" should still be around.

Local time
-->
FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS!

Irishpenguin

Local time
-->
That 70's Show.......even thought it was inevitable Since both Kelso and Eric left... and I didn't like in when Donna dyed her hair blond either.........meh

faithapasta

ENFP... hehe here for reference =D
Local time
-->

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

As far as I know, The Wire wasn't cancelled. It was finished. I could be wrong though, and I don't want to look it up out of fear of spoilers (haven't seen the whole thing yet)

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
Sigh, I have the first series of the Wire, I'm eight episodes in and it's not really hooking me. Everyone I've met who has watched it seems to love it though.

Alice?

Local time
-->
Firefly... :'(

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
john doe, it had just gotten really good when they ended it

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
'The Powers That Be'.

Not even available on DVD. ( I'm downloading a poor quality version from Demonoid at the moment. )

Then Dharma & Greg, naturally; although the last season was getting far too corporate ( and it betrayed whatever premises it had after the first couple of shows: but really, it had the rare Balkan beauty of Jenna Elfman combined with her raucous Californian accent, and it didn't need much more ). And anything with Téa Leoni... equally lovely ( Polish-Italian ) then, such as 'Flying Blind' and 'The Naked Truth'.

As an aficionado of Clinton-Era sitcoms, I'd say most ended three seasons too soon; and most later sitcoms should have ended three seasons earlier.

Claverhouse :phear:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
It had its flaws, but... Millenium.

(I mean, come on -- it was a show about the Millenium... and they canceled it in 1999! wth?)

Night Runner

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Firefly, for sure... Also, Stella. It had a very brief run on Comedy Central and a lot of its humor was apparently a bit too wacky for American audiences. :slashnew:

Dogod

Local time
-->
Firefly
Pushing Daisies
Futurama, until Comedy Central brought it back three weeks ago.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
It had its flaws, but... Millenium.

(I mean, come on -- it was a show about the Millenium... and they canceled it in 1999! wth?)

At least they resolved the plot later on in X-Files. Oddly enough, it shares this fate with The Lone Gunmen. It got cancelled and then it was resolved in X-Files... but unlike Millenium, in the worst possible way. Just thinking about it makes me angry. :beatyou:

Mxx

Local time
-->
Had to add my voice for Firefly to the general chorus. Some recent shows that I've enjoyed could have ended quite well with just one season (like Mr Robot, I've yet to get sucked into the second season).

Others I was disappointed to not see more episodes of were Better Off Ted, and Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23.

All of these shows would have been better off as original programming for Netflix, without having to deal with the constraints of appealing to mass audiences on American Network television.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hannibal. Damn, really, NBC? But I guess it wasn't a cash cow for them.

In good news, now that two years have passed, I guess the rights have freed up or something, and Bryan Fuller was pursuing possibly getting another season out.

Heroes was a series I was hoping could get one more chance in case it could overcome its slow disintegration... and then it got the chance last year and after struggling through it I hope this time it is staked through the heart and burned to ash.

I heard good things about Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles in terms of how much better it was getting but then it got axed after Season 2. I guess I should watch the seasons I have. I should also watch Pushing Daisies, considering it's another Bryan Fuller creation + stars Lee Pace, who I kinda adore.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 11:26 PM
-->
Freaks and geeks
Party down

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Did watch the pilot for Pushing Daisies last night.

Fuller's stuff is always very stylized and subjectively surreal, although this show and Hannibal are on opposite things of the Light / Dark spectrum. PD is pretty light and airy, with a lot of witty banter but nothing outside the social boundaries. Lots of light / radiance in the visuals. Somewhat modern fairy-tale-ish, especially with the kindly invisible narrator (Jim Dale) well, narrating. it's light fun.

The thing is, that kind of thing can get old if it remains all about the stylization rather than character/plot advancement, so... maybe that's what happened to it?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 2:26 AM
-->
Hannibal. Damn, really, NBC? But I guess it wasn't a cash cow for them.

In good news, now that two years have passed, I guess the rights have freed up or something, and Bryan Fuller was pursuing possibly getting another season out.

Really miss this one. One of the few darker shows I could actually relate with. The contrast between Will and Hannibal and how they related with one another felt extremely...subconscious. I can't think of anything like this, except maybe Apocalypse Now.

HappyPhantom

unscannable
Local time
-->
Firefly, Being Human (US), Dead Like Me, Constantine, Deadwood, My So Calked Life, TOS, Hemlock Grove, 666 Park Avenue.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Heavy duty series on Amazon called Mad Dogs:
It was about tourists trying to enjoy a vacation that get sucked into their friends drug schemes and into a bunch of super scary but thrilling adventures. It only had one season, but I liked it enough to watch the entire ten episodes three times and now I want to watch it again. I will NEVER go to Belize! It left me wanting more.

And to a much smaller extent, I liked Under the Dome, because of its absolute weirdness.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
most western tv shows almost start out promising and exciting
but ends up like crap at the final season conclusion, with many lose ends unfinished.

It is becoming a common trend.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Best most memorable show that I loved was Rome on HBO.
I loved it for the new take on history in that it was fairly close to real and well made.

Few problems I had - extreme drama, which did not steer away from you know the usual Game of Thrones crap.

Top Bottom