• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP Sappy moments

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:50 AM
-->
Drenth says we're prone to them due to having an Fe inferior. I certainly am, sudden rushes of emotion, often bringing me to the verge of tears at sappy parts of a movie or reading some human interest story. Share yours ...

I just had one reading about a cow that escaped from a NY stock yard, and that once they caught it people refused to let them take it back to slaughter. Now it's enjoying life on a family farm. Sappy moment!

Goku

Banned
Local time
Today 10:50 AM
-->
I think someone should upload the PDF via torrent
so that all the poor INTP can share in your enjoyment

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
Classical concerts....:phear:

Void

oblivious
Local time
Today 11:50 AM
-->
I have them yes.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:50 PM
-->
Cats in general make me sappy. Adorable little fluff balls making me feel stuff.

Also when my partner says something endearing when I'm not expecting it :o

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Things that don't engage me directly but allow me to take part.
Music, Books, arts, humans. Mostly such that portray the hopeless or good imperfections.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Well, I got a little choked up last night watching the vid for that story about the woman who got ovarian cancer and died within 9 months after diagnosis, who left letters with a friend to send to the local Christmas Wish group when her husband was finally going to remarry. She left four boys behind. Just that she left notes behind for her family was amazing.

However, I'm not exactly a maudlin puddle. When they were claiming she was still with them because of signs in the environment, I was like, "Okay, whatever" -- I mean, the skeptic in me lives, they are making meaning of things to help themselves deal with the loss. But the actual letters themselves were touching.

I'm touched by a lot of "deeper stuff" in artistic works, usually things that involve knowing sacrifice. The revelations of deep truth move me. Even just sitting out looking at the stars sometimes moves me, when I let the enormity of them sink in.

I think someone should upload the PDF via torrent
so that all the poor INTP can share in your enjoyment

you are cruel.
(And unusual.)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 11:50 AM
-->
feels like a wire through my heart pulling me closer to something

but it fails because there is a great invisible wall in between

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
The INTP I know doesn't get sappy over anything. He would laugh about the cow, as would I. I would laugh while killing it because it's so emotional for everybody else, but it's just a cow; it was doomed to die from the start - isn't that the source of the absurdity anyway?

I cried when I read The Green Mile though, does that count?:p

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Classical concerts....:phear:

However, I'm not exactly a maudlin puddle ... I'm touched by a lot of "deeper stuff" in artistic works

I'd distinguish between experiencing the numinous and what I'm talking about here. Artists/composers are trying to evoke the former, while the idea in this thread is that due to the inferior Fe our emotions can overtake us in inappropriate or less appropriate times, such as sappy moments in movies.

Music definitely brings me the numinous which is a mature experience of emotion.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
HAHAHAH ahahahahaha haahhahaah

So many...feels.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I have sappy moments on demand in my imagination. :)

-Duxwing

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
Well, I got a little choked up last night watching the vid for that story about the woman who got ovarian cancer and died within 9 months after diagnosis, who left letters with a friend to send to the local Christmas Wish group when her husband was finally going to remarry. She left four boys behind. Just that she left notes behind for her family was amazing.

However, I'm not exactly a maudlin puddle. When they were claiming she was still with them because of signs in the environment, I was like, "Okay, whatever" -- I mean, the skeptic in me lives, they are making meaning of things to help themselves deal with the loss. But the actual letters themselves were touching.

I'm touched by a lot of "deeper stuff" in artistic works, usually things that involve knowing sacrifice. The revelations of deep truth move me. Even just sitting out looking at the stars sometimes moves me, when I let the enormity of them sink in.

you are cruel.
(And unusual.)

that is very touching, and feels like a compliment.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 2:50 AM
-->
Shed some tears near the end of Men in Black III and remember feeling gooey on the inside and producing some tears after watching Twelve Monkeys for the first time years ago. It was all the time travel ramifications... Almost unnecessary, but what if that were due to inferior Te? I'd probably get all sappy then.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I'd distinguish between experiencing the numinous and what I'm talking about here. Artists/composers are trying to evoke the former, while the idea in this thread is that due to the inferior Fe our emotions can overtake us in inappropriate or less appropriate times, such as sappy moments in movies.
I can't be sure we're on the same page here, but I experience numerous sappy moments in movies. I've let them run to taste the experience followed by a self-analysis to figure why ... at least in my case.

A common answer for me ... at least to be checked out in the future is the sappy moment comes when someone is unexpectedly loved when they weren't before. I don't have a movie in mind, but will try to take note of future ones for this thread.

One might think about this as grading into the numinous.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
I cry when couples are parted in movies/anime. Especially if one of them dies :( (yes, the end of Titanic was one of those moments for me)

Also things like random acts of kindness, starving people being fed, when people discover renewed hope in themselves, children's smiles, kittens, bunnies..

:o

Local time
-->
I've found myself crying during the sad parts of books and movies. Fortunately it doesn't happen when people are around - I suppose I'm too self-conscious to be emotional when they are.

But seriously, I've been reduced to tears by some ridiculous things. It usually leaves an aftertaste of shame in my mouth, haha.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I can't be sure we're on the same page here, but I experience numerous sappy moments in movies. I've let them run to taste the experience followed by a self-analysis to figure why ... at least in my case.

A common answer for me ... at least to be checked out in the future is the sappy moment comes when someone is unexpectedly loved when they weren't before. I don't have a movie in mind, but will try to take note of future ones for this thread.

One might think about this as grading into the numinous.
One can overdo the simplification but checked this out with a film I saw for the 2nd time finished today: "Traffic." I saw it again because I knew it was well made and wanted to be entertained. I found the sappy moment at the end where the family all joined in for drug treatment.

This is consistent with the love theme mentioned above. Others have mentioned sad separations, death of the loved one. This is consistent with the theme of receiving losing ... the pain and contrast of being with and without, gaining or losing love.

I still want to look for a connection with moments in art. How could that be connected? There is something about the experience of love ... it has the positive impact akin to higher moments in art. There is the rising from the ordinary state to the "higher" or more complex state. This is unexpected to the unconscious I suppose else we would have it all the time. It is something I see happening during Christmas services not that everyone wishes to buy off on this.

Causeless

Local time
-->
I cried at the end of Wall-E.

Also Eternal Sunshine.

Wall-E though... It's like I KNEW what was going to happen, but continued to think, "But what if it DOESN'T! What if he's lost forever? NO! WALL-E! Everything was almost perfect! Robots can feel too damnit! I understand..."

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Drenth says we're prone to them due to having an a Fe inferior. I certainly am, sudden rushes of emotion, often bringing me to the verge of tears at sappy parts of a movie or reading some human interest story. Share yours ...

I just had one reading about a cow that escaped from a NY stock yard, and that once they caught it people refused to let them take it back to slaughter. Now it's enjoying life on a family farm. Sappy moment!

^The grammar police in me just had to correct that...it was grating on my sense of flow...:cat:

Okay, talking about animals. These are probably the only individuals that can make me 'sappy'. I have recently been somewhat able to reconnect with my emotions and therefore seem to experience various degrees of empathy at the most random moments.

I'm having a friend over for christmas. We agreed that I would cook, and as he likes the traditional meat-and veg sort of food, I chose a small chook from a local free-range butcher I finally managed to locate.

I brought said chook out of the fridge last night and placed the corpse on my chopping board. But alas; that pathetic, headless and naked corpse invoked some strong emotion in me, and I was overcome by a great sadness for the life that was taken for the benefit of Stupid-Season indulgence.

In other words, I felt awful. I wanted to invoke the spirit of the chicken so that I could tell it I was sorry.

However, rather than resorting to rituals of spiritual summoning, I quickly stuffed the chook while listening to Tool rather loudly; somehow it made me feel better, don't ask why...:phear:

Music definitely brings me the numinous which is a mature experience of emotion.

What is inappropriate...? Just curious. I know what you mean, but why is it considered inappropriate to shed tears or show emotion in certain contexts? Just throwing it out there...

I feel great embarrassment when I bubble over with unstoppable tears at a concert where nobody else seem to experience the same magnitude of emotion. It is almost as if my reaction is an over-reaction, hence why I would put it in the "sappy" rather than numinous category.

But I get your point. Just being more picky/specific this time.

Cats in general make me sappy. Adorable little fluff balls making me feel stuff.

Also when my partner says something endearing when I'm not expecting it :o

*has sappy moment*

:cat: meow.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^The grammar police in me just had to correct that...it was grating on my sense of flow...:cat:

It's "an" before any word starting with a vowel, and I suppose Fe is short for "extraverted Feeling." So the question is actually whether "an" works for contractions...hmm.

Also going by pronouncing, I prefer "an Fe" over "a Fe." As it sounds like "an F E" versus "A.F.E."

paradoxparadigm7

Local time
Today 4:50 AM
-->
I use Fe as part of my top function so a show of inferior Fe via some of the examples told here, is reassuring and a connecting point. It's sweet and makes you approachable. I think it's rather charming and I enjoy reading about your inferior Fe moments:rolleyes:

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It's "an" before any word starting with a vowel, and I suppose Fe is short for "extraverted Feeling." So the question is actually whether "an" works for contractions...hmm.

Also going by pronouncing, I prefer "an Fe" over "a Fe." As it sounds like "an F E" versus "A.F.E."

Depends on how you read it. "A Fe" sounds better. To a non-American anyway, as I like to clearly separate sounds in order to make myself understood. It was kinda tongue in cheek, but I guess this could all get very serious :beatyou:

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 4:50 PM
-->
Depends on how you read it. "A Fe" sounds better. To a non-American anyway, as I like to clearly separate sounds in order to make myself understood. It was kinda tongue in cheek, but I guess this could all get very serious :beatyou:

If you say it in your head I think its only grammatically correct to say 'an Fe'. Because we say Fe as ef-ee in our heads which makes the first letter a vowel.

Reality is Optional

Social Rebel
Local time
-->
I'm always about to cry during certain emotional movies/books, but never really do. The only circumstance that's made me actually shed tears in movies/books, is when someone pretends to love the main character (and I don't mean romantically, like a friend, sibling, parental or mentor figure) and ends up never really caring about them at all. That's always gotten me.
The other thing that pulls my heartstrings is music; mainly movie soundtracks. John Powell, Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer, Julie Giroux, and Howard Shore especially. (Movie soundtrack composers. If you're into that stuff, I recommend them). And as far as Broadways soundtracks go, Claude-Michel Schönberg is awesome. He really maxes you out with feels.

JennaSayQuoi

Local time
-->
OMGosh, tons of stuff... I can simultaneously be disgusted with romantic comedies and feel sappy toward them.

I'm learning to accept my sappiness and try to find something endearing about it, like the F types do, instead of hating myself for it. It's helping! :) I can expect it better now, and it doesn't jump on me as often, because I'm not trying to hide it from myself. Also, I can spend more time trying to actually understand where it's coming from/why when I'm not focusing on hating myself/ hiding it.

Anyways.. specifics:

Baby Mama- this is an awesome mix of sappiness and Ne humor, I think..

You've Got Mail- one of my favorites since I was a child. Tom Hanks = ENTP? Funny/Sappy

Pride and Prejudice - tho sometimes if I'm not in the right mood I just don't feel anything, so... ? I like when he helps her into the carriage and then you see him flexing his hand (Awww, he feels), and at the beginning when she takes verbal revenge on him and then walks away (That seems SO inferier Fe, to me. lol).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dan in Real Life. - there's a part at the end when his daughter whispers in his ear and he immediately tears up that always gets me in the heart no matter what. :')<3

And even tho I've heard that it's not deep enough or whatever: Lars and the Real Girl. <3

JennaSayQuoi

Local time
-->
If you say it in your head I think its only grammatically correct to say 'an Fe'. Because we say Fe as ef-ee in our heads which makes the first letter a vowel.

I think this is the diff, too. I say "fee", not "eff ee", but it always becomes a problem when you get to the introverted function... I was thinking it could be "fee" for Fe and "fie" for Fi. :P Fee Fie Foe FUM!

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
If I build a machine and it will call me father. :)

Cyon

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I only usually get sappy when I'm alone, but other than that, I selectively get sappy with the people who I think deserves to actually know that part of me or if sappiness is needed for an advantage. More often, I go with the latter.

Top Bottom