• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Press the button?

Would you press the button

• Total voters

Jules

Local time
Today 6:54 AM
-->
I saw this on another forum and I'm interested what the results would be on here.

You're in an office. There's a relaxed atmosphere. On every desk sits a machine with a couple of buttons.
A man walks up to you and introduces himself as the general manager. He points to a single button on the machine on your desk and says: "If you press that button some random person you don't know will die. If you push that button now you will receive $1 million, and nobody will ever know you did this."
Would you press the button?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 7:54 AM
-->
Sorry, I would... so my answer is no.
I would like to see a man or a woman knowing that he or she willingly killed another being and all that come from that, his/her kids, husband's or wife's mental health, loans etc.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
Today 5:54 AM
-->
Of course not.

There are many valid reasons for killing some specified person; but none include gain.

Claverhouse :phear:

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
Today 1:54 AM
-->
yeah. i'm a heartless bastard who would do anything to promote self-gain. dont really have a reason to be anything otherwise.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Yesterday 11:54 PM
-->
Ehn, death is apart of life. If some random person died because of me pressing a button... oops. Random people die randomly anyways.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
Ehn, death is apart of life. If some randome person died because of me pressing a button... oops. Random people die randomly anyways.

It is not only a random person... it may be a random chain of events after that that can include a lot of people. After all.... the one deciding to kill another one has to include them in his/her thoughts. I am not above another human being, are you? Are you this random being prilemus killed?

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Hey now, I realize this is a philosophical question but the entire premise is absurd. If I was given an easy situation to acquire a million dollars (which would be nice) and the drawback was that a 'random' person dies, okay! I'm not above anyone, they should have been the one sitting at the desk. I'm Cooold Bloooodeeeed. And I'd expect the same out of the next guy, even if a lot of people wouldn't press the button.. a lot of people would. And I'm one of them, so watch yourself! *evil laughter :evil:

Jules

Local time
-->
Perhaps this should be moved to the philosophy section. I wasn't sure where to put it to begin with. :P

On topic: I wouldn't press. Of course people randomly die anyway, but why would I choose to be a cause of that? No one will know is not true, I would know. I don't think I would like that.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
oooh what does this button do? :p

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
-->
I push all the buttons at once and then mug the general manager.

Similarly, I would turn on 450 v at at once and keep the button pressed in while laughing my bottom off if confronted with anything that resembles the Milgram experiment.

Besides:
I saw this on another forum and I'm interested what the results would be on here.

You're in an office. There's a relaxed atmosphere. On every desk sits a machine with a couple of buttons.
A man walks up to you and introduces himself as the general manager. He points to a single button on the machine on your desk and says: "If you press that button some random person you don't know will die. If you push that button now you will receive $1 million, and nobody will ever know you did this."

In other words:
A husband takes his gorgeous trophy-wife to play her first game of golf.....

Of course, the wife promptly hacked her first shot right through the window
of the biggest house adjacent to the course.

The husband cringed, "I warned you to be careful! Now we'll have to go up
there, find the owner, apologize and see how much your lousy drive is going
to cost us."

So the couple walked up to the house and knocked on the door.

A warm voice said, "Come on in." When they opened the door they saw the
damage that was done: glass was all over the place, and a broken antique
bottle was lying on its side near the broken window.

A man reclining on the couch asked, "Are you the people that broke my
window?"

"Uh...yeah, sir. We're sure sorry about that," the husband replied.

"Oh, no apology is necessary. Actually I want to thank you. You see, I'm a
genie, and I've been trapped in that bottle for a thousand years. Now that
you've released me, I'm allowed to grant three wishes. I'll give you each
one wish, but if you don't mind, I'll keep the last one for myself."

"Wow, that's great!" the husband said. He pondered a moment and blurted out,
"I'd like a million dollars a year for the rest of my life."

"No problem," said the genie. "You've got it, it's the least I can do. And
I'll guarantee you a long, healthy life. And now you, young lady, what do
you want?" the genie asked.

"I'd like to own a gorgeous home complete with servants in every country in
the world," she said.

"Consider it done," the genie said. "And your homes will always be safe from
fire, burglary and natural disasters!"

"And now," the couple asked in unison, "what's your wish, genie?"

"Well, since I've been trapped in that bottle and haven’t been with a woman
in more than a thousand years, my wish is to have sex with your wife."

The husband looked at his wife and said, "Gee, honey, you know we both now
have a fortune, and all those houses. What do you think? "

She mulled it over for a few moments and said, "You know, you're right.
Considering our good fortune, I guess I wouldn't mind, but what about you,
honey?"

"You know I love you sweetheart," said the husband. "I'd do the same for
you!"

So the genie and the woman went upstairs where they spent the rest of the
afternoon enjoying each other. The genie was insatiable.

After about three hours of non-stop sex, the genie rolled over and looked
directly into her eyes and asked, "How old are you and your husband?"

"Why, we're both 35," she responded breathlessly.

"NO SHIT. Thirty-five years old and both of you still believe in genies?"

Courtesy of 4-fun.biz

Apathy

Local time
-->
Ask them to change the terms:

$500,000 and a 50% chance that a random person will die, then yes. Otherwise no.

There is always a chance that your actions can kill/harm someone, but doing something that will absolutly cause it makes you a murderer

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I probably wouldn't do it, I don't care about money that much.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
Yes, I'd do it. Hell, if I was in a sour mood I'd press it for free.

But I might also be suspicious that it was some kind of test and that there would be some kind of punishment for pressing the button or reward for not doing so.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I would break the machine and call security. That guy really does not need to be in the building.

At first I thought that this thread would be about someone telling you to not press a button (which I would not be able to resist, especially if it was a big shiny red button).

:cat:

B4nd1t_one

Local time
-->
if i knew what proportion of the population lived a life of misery i might.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Take 10 steps away from the button and throw something heavy at it. If the button gets pressed I'll have less guilt to deal with.

Deleted member 1424

hmmm It was somewhat tricky of you to make this a public poll.

I would not press the button at that particular moment. However if through subterfuge I could disable the button or make it work on a target of my choosing (ex: the manager) and trick some bastards out of a million dollars, you can bet I'd give it a shot.

Atriamax

Local time
Yesterday 10:54 PM
-->
lol i instantly hit yes before even reading the full question. I then realized i killed a man.
Answer this: (what i had in mind reading the title)
There is a button. Do you press it?

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 12:54 AM
-->
I flip the situation, and I wouldn't want some random person to kill me just so they can have money and buy stuff. I wouldn't want them to kill me, and so I don't want myself to kill them.

I already have too much stuff... I really don't need a million dollars to buy more stuff.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 1:54 PM
-->
IF we assume what the manager says is true, I think it might depend on the kind of death.

But I'd press it anyway since the manager is probably loony (so I'll just humour him), or it's some ridiculous company test (for which it's impossible to tell what the "correct" answer should be).

In any case I wouldn't mind dying randomly, as long as it isn't painful. But that doesn't really have any bearing on whether I would press it or not, because I think most people would mind dying (and I do unto others as they would others do unto them).

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
IF we assume what the manager says is true, I think it might depend on the kind of death.

But I'd press it anyway since the manager is probably loony (so I'll just humour him), or it's some ridiculous company test (for which it's impossible to tell what the "correct" answer should be).

In any case I wouldn't mind dying randomly, as long as it isn't painful. But that doesn't really have any bearing on whether I would press it or not, because I think most people would mind dying (and I do unto others as they would others do unto them).

So you'd become the clown for him, leave your self respect in order to humour him?:confused:

A random being dying is not itself a random act if someone knowingly had a part in it, that otherwise would not have happened, in this case, death.

But again, dying itself in not really an issue, most people would not mind dying under certain circumstances, but what effects can death of a certain being have on others is the issue. Kids might end up homeless, wife or husband might commit suicide because of overwhelming depression etc., just because someone thought it would be fun to get 1 million dollars. Death has a causal effect on others you know.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
In a heartbeat, what is one more random person in the world dying going to matter?

For all we know, we could be causing indirect harm to a random person at anytime during our lives, because of some action we take leading to some unforeseen effect.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
In a heartbeat, what is one more random person in the world dying going to matter?

In a heartbeat what is one more random killing of a person going to matter?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Being that random person dearest to you, I don't mind.
Oh so killing for personal gain is wrong but killing out of spite over how I think is just fine?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
Oh so killing for personal gain is wrong but killing out of spite over how I think is just fine?
Did you not understand my sarcasm?

Killing is wrong in most cases, howcome can you leave out beings you care about...? They may also be in the random sum, being a victim of ones personal gain. How cannot they be accounted as being a random person?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Did you not understand my sarcasm?

Killing is wrong in most cases, howcome can you leave out persons you care about... they may also be in the random sum, being a victim of ones personal gain. How cannot they be accounted as being a random person?
Perhaps I should reiterate the hypothetical situation:

"If you press that button some random person you don't know will die..."

That's how I can leave out people I care about, because they were already left out for me.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
Perhaps I should reiterate the hypothetical situation:

"If you press that button some random person you don't know will die..."

That's how I can leave out people I care about, because they were already left out for me.

So there is a different outcome for you?

Okay, now that you modified the question, so do I. If this question would be asked from everyone. You surely must be alright with that?

Jules

Local time
-->

For all we know, we could be causing indirect harm to a random person at anytime during our lives, because of some action we take leading to some unforeseen effect.

The difference here is that in this case you know your action will cause harm, as opposed to being unaware your action is causing harm.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
So there is a different outcome for you?

Okay, now that you modified the question, so do I. If this question would be asked from everyone. You surely must be alright with that?
I didn't modify anything, check the original post for yourself.

Also, there was nothing in there about everyone getting the same opportunity as me. So if I am the only one with this power, then I clearly need not worry about anyone I know dying.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
I didn't modify anything, check the original post for yourself.

Also, there was nothing in there about everyone getting the same opportunity as me. So if I am the only one with this power, then I clearly need not worry about anyone I know dying.

Okay, I did forget the exact question, my mistake.

So random killing for personal gain is okay for you? What I was trying to build up if everybody would think the same, how our understanding of human behaviour would have to change.
It would almost seem, if there would not be laws made, you would not second guess killing random people for personal gain. Or did I misunderstood? How would it be different in any way than how this question was built up?

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 12:54 AM
-->
That's the premise of this upcoming movie by the guy that did Donnie Darko:

[FLV]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o6PVOoTrCk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o6PVOoTrCk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/FLV]

As to the question, I think I would have to investigate the button and the people making the offer before making a decision.

didyouknow

Local time
Today 3:54 PM
-->
I had considered using the money to save more lives, but realised it's still wrong to choose the fate of someone else, even for charity. :[

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yep, I would push the button, albeit in a real situation it would take a time to make the final decision (assuming I believe in the manager). I would pretty sure I am not the first or the last person who is offered to make this deal, so it means that some person who is such as big jerk as I am could agree any time and the random person who dies could be me, thus I am swimming in the same pool as the others are.

Even the money does not play a role in the current decision; I am just kind of... fascinated by the idea of having an option to kill somebody and get away with it.

Yes, I know I am not that what other people consider as a good person - and I am not trying to pretend to be one.

(And buttons are too tempting per se. :p)

Anling

Local time
-->
No, but I would be extremely fascinated by that button. What does it do? Is it a trick? Pushing it wouldn't satisfy the curiousity because I would not actually know if or how some random person died. I would probably want to take it apart and see how it works.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
That's the premise of this upcoming movie by the guy that did Donnie Darko:

[FLV]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o6PVOoTrCk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2o6PVOoTrCk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/FLV]

As to the question, I think I would have to investigate the button and the people making the offer before making a decision.

Trailer seems interesting.:)

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Okay, I did forget the exact question, my mistake.

So random killing for personal gain is okay for you? What I was trying to build up if everybody would think the same, how our understanding of human behaviour would have to change.
It would almost seem, if there would not be laws made, you would not second guess killing random people for personal gain. Or did I misunderstood? How would it be different in any way than how this question was built up?
Yes, yes it is okay for me.

However there is a huge difference between physically killing a person, and being indirectly responsible for killing a person by pushing a button. One of these allows a person to never have any contact at all with the person they killed, which makes it much easier. Although I feel that your question deserves a little entertainment. Okay so say there were no laws at all, not even verbal agreements, naturally we would be living in a state of Anarchy, and competing with each other for our own lives. In this kill or be killed scenario, yeah, I'd do it.

I am not trying to argue whether this is right or wrong, because I really don't care.

But this is really a great analogy for how life is, and cannot possibly not be. The only way to extend your own life is by destroying other lives, whether it be plant, animal, or human, something must die. I don't see why human lives get to be more valuable than any other lives, they are just plentiful flesh bags that will repopulate anyway.

So I will ask again, does it really matter that I am contributing just one more to the endless cycle of life and death? And don't go saying "not for personal gain." There is no other reason to kill, other than for personal gain (Unless random serial killing counts), even in defense you are still killing to preserve your own life.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
-->
Yes, yes it is okay for me.

However there is a huge difference between physically killing a person, and being indirectly responsible for killing a person by pushing a button. One of these allows a person to never have any contact at all with the person they killed, which makes it much easier. Although I feel that your question deserves a little entertainment. Okay so say there were no laws at all, not even verbal agreements, naturally we would be living in a state of Anarchy, and competing with each other for our own lives. In this kill or be killed scenario, yeah, I'd do it.

I am not trying to argue whether this is right or wrong, because I really don't care.

But this is really a great analogy for how life is, and cannot possibly not be. The only way to extend your own life is by destroying other lives, whether it be plant, animal, or human, something must die. I don't see why human lives get to be more valuable than any other lives, they are just plentiful flesh bags that will repopulate anyway.

So I will ask again, does it really matter that I am contributing just one more to the endless cycle of life and death? And don't go saying "not for personal gain." There is no other reason to kill, other than for personal gain (Unless random serial killing counts), even in defense you are still killing to preserve your own life.

I don't personally make any difference. Killing another human for self defence is almost the only reasonable argument for me (there may be more).
When would you draw the line until killing another being (being it it direct or indirectly responsible (by the way it is still being directly responsible if the result of dying comes from you pressing the button)), is one too many? One? Two? Thirty three?
When would you say enough is enough, or the number would not matter, this game theoretically for you could go on forever?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
When would you draw the line until killing another being (being it it direct or indirectly responsible (by the way it is still being directly responsible if the result of dying comes from you pressing the button)), is one too many? One? Two? Thirty three?
I'll draw the line at extinction.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
No, but I would be extremely fascinated by that button. What does it do? Is it a trick? Pushing it wouldn't satisfy the curiosity because I would not actually know if or how some random person died. I would probably want to take it apart and see how it works.

How wonderfully INTP of you!

Here's the thought process I went through before making my choice:

Some dude can make this happen? We, as a species, are screwed.

Hmmmm...a million dollars would be nice...

Since I know that there are lots of people out there that are dying of starvation, abuse, or something else equally as horrible and would welcome a quick anonymous death this might actually be a good thing...

I wonder what the button looks like...is it stereotypically red and shiny? If it is I don't trust this experiment.

If this really did happen I'd probably think this whole thing was an experiment...just like the torturing puppies experiment. Bastards.

Nah, it's all a little too easy. No button pushing for me.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Mmm, i saw the trailer for the movie and i thought of this thread.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
Isn't this the plot of some movie?

It makes you wonder though, aside from the button, if you've unwittingly killed someone or many in your lifetime, simply by doing something at a given time in a given place, contributing in a trivial/possibly significant way to someone's death.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
Isn't this the plot of some movie?

Actually, it's merely a variation on the Mandarin Conundrum, from the Victorian era, which asks if you would kill by thought, without repercussions to oneself, a remote Mandarin in China in order to gain great fortune.

Claverhouse :phear:

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
Yes, then I would use the money to feed at least 2 starving people. More lives saved.

I would like to know who I killed though.

Ritsuka

That One
Local time
-->
Hmm... I say kill the man who gave you the choice, then search the building for the money he was going on about. That way you get the money and probably save a few random people in the process. :)
Of course, this is probably the stupidest idea of the century, as he's probably deranged, there was no money, and you are now on the run from the United States government for killing a man. Oh well, worth a shot.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Are you the cause of the death? Really? It never says you are... If I don't press the button I'm sure some random people will die anyways.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned... It's late and I dont want to read the entire thread. :p

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I would push the button because with the money I could help more people. Does that make me a monster? I guess so.

Damn, that really makes me sound like Griffith... :slashnew:

TheHmmmm

Welcome to Costco, I love you
Local time
-->
Yes, then I would use the money to feed at least 2 starving people. More lives saved.

I would like to know who I killed though.

A bit flawed, idn't it? You save them for how long? You are likely going to be shaving far more years off a live span than you will be adding from feeding the starving.

I think this was based off a movie preview I saw, but no I would not. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I killed someone noteworthy or prepared to headline us into some breakthrough in the future. I'd also be wondering if it was a test of my humanity; it sounds like something the Devil would do (I'm an atheist, but this guy has a button that kills people so anything goes).

Artifice Orisit

"If you press that button some random person you don't know will die. If you push that button now you will receive $1 million, and nobody will ever know you did this."
HELL NO!

First I'd ask if I'm allowed to push the button multiple times and what would happen if I did, then I'd tell the guy to fess up if this is a hoax (i.e. the money isn't real) with the understanding that I will personally kill him if he hoaxes me.

Now when I finally get bored of manically pressing the button I'll ask for the money upfront and in cash (this isn't a request) then I'd probably kill the guy anyway (he's allowed to defend himself of course, fair's fair) so I could loot his corpse (for the money source), steal his brain (if it's still intact) and finally steal the button-device so I can dismantle & study it.

Of course I've assumed that "random" means I'm included in this death lottery, thus making the pressing of the button a morally neutral action by my personal sense of morality (fair's fair).

Top Bottom