• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Last movie you watched

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 7:21 PM
-->
Dracula, '92.

Deffo the creepiest Dracula yet.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 2:21 AM
-->
Watched the two Conjuring movies. There's a lot of jumpscares but it was not that scary. I guess it's probably because I was familiar with both cases and they weren't as dramatic as depicted in the movies.

I like the make-ups and special effects though.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Watched Independence Day Resurgence (NO SPOILERS):

I think one can only appreciate the movie if they watched the first film (which was released in 1996). It has a nostalgic charm with some returning old faces in the mix and has Pacific Rim levels of cheesiness. It's a great fun movie but people shouldn't expect anything profound from it.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:21 PM
-->
Watched Independence Day Resurgence (NO SPOILERS):

I think one can only appreciate the movie if they watched the first film (which was released in 1996). It has a nostalgic charm with some returning old faces in the mix and has Pacific Rim levels of cheesiness. It's a great fun movie but people shouldn't expect anything profound from it.

That's what I heard. I watched the original a few weeks ago (since I never had), and while it was a "bad movie," it was still fun on some level and acknowledged and accepted it was supposed to be campy/outrageous in places. Based on the reviews, the new movie tries but doesn't pull it off as well.

yeah, Pacific Rim isn't a great movie rationally or in terms of dramatic nuance, and it runs a lot on "feelz," but it manages to remain a lot of fun and looks pretty cool in 3D. I still enjoy it.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
That's what I heard. I watched the original a few weeks ago (since I never had), and while it was a "bad movie," it was still fun on some level and acknowledged and accepted it was supposed to be campy/outrageous in places. Based on the reviews, the new movie tries but doesn't pull it off as well.

yeah, Pacific Rim isn't a great movie rationally or in terms of dramatic nuance, and it runs a lot on "feelz," but it manages to remain a lot of fun and looks pretty cool in 3D. I still enjoy it.

I think the negative reviews are because because times have changed. The main premise of the original movie is America Saves the Day, POTUS is the badass mofo in charge and aliens are bastards.

It's kind of hard to update the film in order to fit the times (ie. pandering to the Chinese audience) while sticking to those tropes.

However, one thing is timeless in any American sci-fi movie...

Teh Goldblum :D

[bimgx=350]http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/04/15/15/jurassic-park-jeff-goldblum.jpg[/bimgx]

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
One that I mentioned before, I'm gunna have a lazy day in bed and watch movies all day.

http://putlocker.is/watch-according-to-greta-online-free-putlocker.html

Synopsis: After her mother, Karen (Melissa Leo) gets married for the third time, 17-year-old Greta (Hillary Duff), who had witnessed her father kill himself, withdraws within herself, and turns rebellious. In lieu of boot camp she is sent to live with her maternal grandparents, Katherine (Ellen Burstyn) and Joseph (Michael Murphy) where she makes it known that she is determined to kill herself. She then falls for a cook, Julie (Evan Ross) at the local restaurant, much to the chagrin of her grandparents - especially when they find out he had been interned in a juvenile correctional facility. Faced with all-round opposition and unhappy with her life Greta plans her suicide during a boating trip - a plan that will not only expose closeted skeletons, but also shatter and change everyone's lives forever.

If you can recommend any Neo Noir/Dark Gothy fantasy, that'd be great.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Watched Warcraft the movie:

Pros:
1. Polymorph spell (dude to sheep)
2. I get to tell my family of Warcraft lore (I knew that knowledge would be useful someday...)
3. Decent special effects and props
4. Travis Fimmel (of Vikings fame) plays Lothar
5. Baby Thrall

Cons:
1. No exploding sheep
2. No resource gathering
3. Stupid tactics (Warcraft is mostly about cheesing tactics...)
4. Demon lore not looked into much

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Never heard of the Greta movie, but hell it's got Melissa Leo + Ellen Burstyn in it. So that has to elevate it, right?

PutLocker used to be my "go to" for free streaming movies. Quality usually wasn't so great and the speed could get choked, but the price was definitely right and I could find relatively obscure things. I find a lot of stuff of VeeHD now, but you have to install a DIVX driver; my blocker hasn't detected a Trojan horse, so... that's positive?

However, one thing is timeless in any American sci-fi movie...

Teh Goldblum :D

[bimgx=350]http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2016/04/15/15/jurassic-park-jeff-goldblum.jpg[/bimgx]

I think I lost my taste for the Jeffster after I watched Seth Brendlefly eat dinner... Ha, now there was a great movie! Not only in its own right (although I wish it had fleshed out back story just a TAD bit more), but as one of those rare "remake is better than original" flix.

I will try to suffer through Warcraft on home release.
But I'm only doing it for Duncan Jones.
That poor man.
I hope he can go do some original projects again, now.

------
For Sinny:

Neo-Noir
Well, there's a list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neo-noir_titles
I'm not sure all of those are truly accurate... I guess I understand why they are on the list, but... kind of hard to compare Angel Heart to Zootopia, right?

I'm not totally locked into your movie tastes, I suspect you might like things more practical/tangible (LA Confidential?) where I tend to veer off towards Pan's Labyrinth and the like.

On that list I'm a big fan of: Angel Heart, Heat, Blade Runner, Mystic River, Brick, Dark City, Dead Again, The Departed, Dog Day Afternoon, The Game... but now I'm getting bored reading through the list.

I actually liked The Counselor (Ridley Scott?), but it took a lot of flak on some prominent critic lists. I'm not sure why they harshed on it; in the end, the lesson learned seems pretty simple, but... I thought the acting was good.

There's also Chinatown and The Conversation, but they can be a little slow. Then again, you get to see Roman Polanski take a chunk out of Nicholson's nose with a switchblade.

The 13th Floor is not an entirely original movie, although the premise is interesting.
Shutter Island?

I dunno, based on your feedback to this much, I can probably pass you some better-targeted pics.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->

Never heard of the Greta movie, but hell it's got Melissa Leo + Ellen Burstyn in it. So that has to elevate it, right?

Erm, I'm not really up to speed with actors and actresses, but I liked the movie cuz Hillary Duff does a decent portrayal of an 8w7. The writers nailed the character pretty well, I think.

PutLocker used to be my "go to" for free streaming movies. Quality usually wasn't so great and the speed could get choked, but the price was definitely right and I could find relatively obscure things. I find a lot of stuff of VeeHD now, but you have to install a DIVX driver; my blocker hasn't detected a Trojan horse, so... that's positive?

Cheers for the tip, I used to use DivX, but I've barely installed any software on this laptop.. I suppose now's a good time to start.

------
For Sinny:

Neo-Noir
Well, there's a list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neo-noir_titles
I'm not sure all of those are truly accurate... I guess I understand why they are on the list, but... kind of hard to compare Angel Heart to Zootopia, right?

Ta, and ha, yea.

I'm not totally locked into your movie tastes, I suspect you might like things more practical/tangible (LA Confidential?) where I tend to veer off towards Pan's Labyrinth and the like.

I do like those movies to an extent.. But fantasy always come first. Me and one of my besties used to have sleep overs all the time in our mid to latter teens.. get stoned and watch movies like Pans Labyrinth all the time... She would collect the dvds, being the go getting ENFP that she is. These days I struggle to recall titles off the top off my head, because I rarely watch TV or movies.. I sometimes forget that they exist. Like, I intend to watch some stuff today, but I'll be back to reading articles tomorrow. I've even been forgetting to tune into the news.

I don't know what to say about my tastes.. I like fantasy, dystopia, neo noir, psychological thrillers.. What you say about them?

From 'They Live', 'District 9', 'Underworld', 'Sin City', 'Idiocracy', 'The 5th Element', 'I Robot', 'Source Code', 'Moon', 'Alien', 'Predator', 'Mad Max', 'Avatar', 'The Moth Man Prophecies', 'Seven', 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Gone Girl', 'Zodiac', 'Cruel Intentions', 'The Craft', 'The Abyss', '28 Days later', to 'Shutter Island', and 'Dog; Soldiers etc.

I occasionally tune into Sandra Bullock and Cameron Diaz, but who doesn't? lol.

Oh, got to admit, I'm a huge fa of Jolie movies too. From 'Girl Interrupted', 'Changling', to 'Salt'.

And epics like Troy and 300.

On that list I'm a big fan of: Angel Heart, Heat, Blade Runner, Mystic River, Brick, Dark City, Dead Again, The Departed, Dog Day Afternoon, The Game... but now I'm getting bored reading through the list.

I actually liked The Counselor (Ridley Scott?), but it took a lot of flak on some prominent critic lists. I'm not sure why they harshed on it; in the end, the lesson learned seems pretty simple, but... I thought the acting was good.

There's also Chinatown and The Conversation, but they can be a little slow. Then again, you get to see Roman Polanski take a chunk out of Nicholson's nose with a switchblade.

The 13th Floor is not an entirely original movie, although the premise is interesting.
Shutter Island?

Well, I'm gunna check some of those out.

I dunno, based on your feedback to this much, I can probably pass you some better-targeted pics.

Oh and good point about Polanski, I have been meaning to watch more of his films.. for reasons.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Polanski's a great director, to be fair; but he's kind of a shit for another reason, yeah, I'm sure we're on the same page here.

So our tastes do overlap a great deal in these genres. Dog Soldiers, ha! I gotta watch that again; The Descent (same director) is one of my fave movies, but I've only watched DS once.

I just picked up "Underworld: Awakening" Bluray 3D for $10. The first one is still the best movie, but $10 for a 3D? And the video/audio quality got 5 stars from bluray.com, so... hey whatever.

I actually like Jolie a lot (she's beautiful, she's resilient, she's competent, she achieves her goals), although she has taken a beating lately in terms of her directing efforts. Some of that is just pushback because she oversaturated the industry, some of it is that she has to perfect her directing game. But I'm actually a big fan of "Salt," that's not a movie most people mention so I'm noting it. (And on the extended clips, Salt mentions as a young girl about how her favorite restaurant is "McDonald's along Front Street in Harrisburg" -- that's an actual place, I lived in Harrisburg, and I've eaten there a few times... it's a non-descript low-traffic Mickey D's, so the writer must have Google map'ed it.)

Anyway, yeah, I've seen at least 75-80% of the movies you mentioned here by name. Okay, I will see if I can think of others.

Did you see "The Butterfly Effect?" It's not the greatest scifi movie ever, but the reality hopping can be interesting + the director's cut has an ending that I think has more balls than the theatrical ending and ties together with stuff we learn earlier in the movie.

Cameron Diaz is underrated, she's done a variety of roles even though she tends to be remember for her looks. I actually like "Knight and Day" with her and Cruz; it's light-hearted summer fare, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and it was a funny movie, and it also has Paul Dano (an actor critics know but probably an audience wouldn't recognize by name, although he's done lots of things at this point, ranging from "There Will be Blood" to "Looper" and "Little Miss Sunshine") playing the savant kid who develops the battery. Diaz was wonderfully god-awful in "Bad Teacher," critics ripped on that movie but I thought it was funny. I like Sandra Bullock in the right movie; I haven't watched as much of her stuff overall, though... "While You Were Sleeping" and "Gravity" are probably her movies I've seen the most.

Interdimensionist

Local time
-->
I found the butterfly effect quite cerebral when I first saw it; that's going back a few years now, and was surprised when I learned how poorly it was received by critics, it's not the greatest or most profound film ever made but the premise is definitely an interesting one. I can't remember the original ending however, it was the director's cut I watched first time and I always viewed that cut as superior.

Last films I watched were Purple Rose of Cairo & Mulholland Drive, need to re-watch the latter to do some analysis, should probably re-watch Purple Rose considering it's so critically acclaimed but I got bored half-way through and decided to download and play the original fallout instead :D

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Polanski's a great director, to be fair; but he's kind of a shit for another reason, yeah, I'm sure we're on the same page here.

So our tastes do overlap a great deal in these genres. Dog Soldiers, ha! I gotta watch that again; The Descent (same director) is one of my fave movies, but I've only watched DS once.

I just picked up "Underworld: Awakening" Bluray 3D for $10. The first one is still the best movie, but $10 for a 3D? And the video/audio quality got 5 stars from bluray.com, so... hey whatever.

I actually like Jolie a lot (she's beautiful, she's resilient, she's competent, she achieves her goals), although she has taken a beating lately in terms of her directing efforts. Some of that is just pushback because she oversaturated the industry, some of it is that she has to perfect her directing game. But I'm actually a big fan of "Salt," that's not a movie most people mention so I'm noting it. (And on the extended clips, Salt mentions as a young girl about how her favorite restaurant is "McDonald's along Front Street in Harrisburg" -- that's an actual place, I lived in Harrisburg, and I've eaten there a few times... it's a non-descript low-traffic Mickey D's, so the writer must have Google map'ed it.)

That's pretty cool.. and Salt was fucking bad ass. I don't know how that film slipped under so many people's radars. Jolie has annoyed me tho by apparently not signing up to star in Salt 2. The movie bares a striking resemblance to some of the para-politics happening around the time of the Salt treaties. Brilliant stuff. 

Anyway, yeah, I've seen at least 75-80% of the movies you mentioned here by name. Okay, I will see if I can think of others.

Did you see "The Butterfly Effect?" It's not the greatest scifi movie ever, but the reality hopping can be interesting + the director's cut has an ending that I think has more balls than the theatrical ending and ties together with stuff we learn earlier in the movie.

Yea really great movie.. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind is another trippy one, and Donnie Darko, naturally.

Cameron Diaz is underrated, she's done a variety of roles even though she tends to be remember for her looks. I actually like "Knight and Day" with her and Cruz; it's light-hearted summer fare, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and it was a funny movie, and it also has Paul Dano (an actor critics know but probably an audience wouldn't recognize by name, although he's done lots of things at this point, ranging from "There Will be Blood" to "Looper" and "Little Miss Sunshine") playing the savant kid who develops the battery. Diaz was wonderfully god-awful in "Bad Teacher," critics ripped on that movie but I thought it was funny. I like Sandra Bullock in the right movie; I haven't watched as much of her stuff overall, though... "While You Were Sleeping" and "Gravity" are probably her movies I've seen the most.

I think Diaz has starred in some awful movies, I often wonder how and why? But when she does pull a good role, she is capable of some decent acting.. some of the one's I preferred include: "The Other Woman", "The Holiday", "Being john Malkovich", and "Gangs of New York".

I always stumble across Bullock in obscure drama's, or comedies; often playing law enforcement.. She's good at that.

I don't think I've seen gravity yet.. Or did I?

I really recommend "Moon" for a trippy sci-fi.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
That's pretty cool.. and Salt was fucking bad ass. I don't know how that film slipped under so many people's radars. Jolie has annoyed me tho by apparently not signing up to star in Salt 2. The movie bares a striking resemblance to some of the para-politics happening around the time of the Salt treaties. Brilliant stuff. 

I think it was originally supposed to be a Cruise vehicle, then was retrofitted for a woman. I think it was far more interesting that way... and I liked her relationship with her husband, which to me is actually the heart behind the movie. There are three cuts of the movie, and things don't really turn out well for him regardless, but the clips tend to be brutally cold... just... wow.

I like how it's really unclear for a while about how much of the accusations against her are true. The movie does its best to keep the audience guessing.

Yea really great movie.. Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind is another trippy one, and Donnie Darko, naturally.
I just watched Eternal Sunshine again last week, it's on my top five movie list. I like they also cast Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet against type (for both) and they both pull it off beautifully. (Well, hell, Elijah Wood was also cast against type to startling effect.) The movie was also a nightmare to edit, but they pull that off too. Typically I like anything that Charlie Kaufman scripts; I still need to watch Synodoche NY though.

I think Diaz has starred in some awful movies, I often wonder how and why? But when she does pull a good role, she is capable of some decent acting.. some of the one's I preferred include: "The Other Woman", "The Holiday", "Being john Malkovich", and "Gangs of New York".
I always liked her playing an SFJ-ish character in "My Best Friend's Wedding," Kimmie isn't the brightest bulb and would get on my nerves IRL but I love how she has admirable qualities that seem so counter-intuitive and still work beautifully. But yes, she's made some decent movies + some pretty bad ones.

I liked her in "Being John Malkovich" (another Charlie Kaufman script) because you don't even recognize that it's her for awhile, they totally bury her in plain clothes and makeup/hairdo. And it was the first time I think I saw Catherine Keener on screen... she was just so great in that movie.

I really recommend "Moon" for a trippy sci-fi.
I have both that and Source Code (although I prefer the latter). BOth are decent films; I was kind of bummed to see Jones tackle a generic commercial property like Warcraft when his small independent story films are rather good. He lost four years in his career and the product was rather lackluster, although maybe it will give him experience and a resume item to make some personal but still larger-budgeted projects later?

Last films I watched were Purple Rose of Cairo & Mulholland Drive, need to re-watch the latter to do some analysis, should probably re-watch Purple Rose considering it's so critically acclaimed but I got bored half-way through and decided to download and play the original fallout instead :D

I think Mulholland drive was supposed to be a TV show first, and then ended up getting cut into a movie instead... which explains some of the disjointed nature of the film but of course, it's also a Lynch pic.

I dunno, I liked it, but I don't feel a need to explain everything in life -- the connections are often just more allusory and suggestive rather than explicit and complete.

----

More potential movies for Sinny [taking from the last few years of things I've seen]:
- Dredd (2012) -- really underrated
- 12 Monkeys (everyone has seen this though)
- Quarrantine/REC -- REC is Spanish and thus subtitled but probably the better of the two
- The Devil's Backbone
- Under the Skin... kind of a horror-alien arthouse hybrid that some might find pretentious but I really liked it
- Ex Machina
- The Vanishing (original, Swedish)
- Funny Games (original)
- The Wicker Man (original)
- The Road... visual and narrative tone is pretty impressive
- Abre Los Ojos (original version) -- I say watch this first, vs "Vanilla Sky" (which Crowe tonally changes), it's got more pathos, authenticity, and ambiguity than the remake
- Midnight Special -- great movie, great cast, but the ending visually isn't on par with the rest of the movie. Damn. The rest tonally /acting-wise was awesome.
- Secret in their Eyes (again, the original, not the American remake)
- The Stanford Prison Experiment
- Anomalisa (mostly for the middle section, two people wooing each other) -- Charlie Kaufman project
- The Invitation
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
- We Need to Talk about Kevin
- Prisoners
- Enemy -- The ending fucks with some people's heads, it seems to come out of left field, but I can't stop thinking about it and how it recasts the movie. Gyllenhaal is great.
- The Box (same director as Donnie Darko), a spin on an urban legend/morality question + Sartre's "No Exit," not as good as Donnie Darko but some interesting and intense stuff in there. And yes, Cameron Diaz.
- When Animals Dream... kind of low-key, another werewolf story but Swedish (? can't recall) and I like the lead, and it's a nice version. I need to watch Ginger Snaps too.
- Let the Right One in (original) -- although the American version (Let Me In) isn't bad either.

http://www.letterboxd.com/Totenkindly is my actual movie list, including some reviews. I probably missed some in there that I watched 20-30+ years ago, but it's got a lot of what I've seen.

Did you see The Witch (2016) yet? I don't recall. Fucking-A.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I just watched the Dark Water American remake (2005) with Jennifer Connolly, John C Reilly, Dougray Scott, Tim Roth, Pete Postlethwaite, etc. Such a damn good cast, but stuck in this dog of a movie. Oh, it also has the girl (all grown up nowadays, if you've been watching the movie news this July) who was Bibi in Kill Bill 2.

Well, the production quality of the visuals was typically decent, but the entire movie (for a "horror" film) is explicitly flat and rather boring. like, TEDIOUSLY boring. So boring that I ended up doing other things on my laptop while watching the film, and halfway through remember I *had* watched this film before in the past but forgot because it was just so awful in terms of holding interest. Even the ending, which feels a bit tagged on in an attempt to generate some level of pathos (and is probably what got Connolly on the project), has no real impact because there's no reason to give a shit about any of the characters throughout the rest of the movie.

About the only interesting thing was Reilly, who early in the film has to play the manager of a shoddy apartment building and is trying to sell Connolly on an apartment that is clearly just a dive; he comes off as a genial, yet slightly desperate used car salesman tiredly pulling at strings to seal the deal, and he's using that kind of goofy but earnest "John C Reilly" voice.

In fact, instead of being a horror flick, this is more something you'd see on the "spooky" entry on Sunday Family Night TV; it might unsettle little kids but adults will be rather non-plussed, and running to the kitchen for snacks and taking bathroom breaks would be fine because there's no momentum for the commercial interruptions to ruin.

Probably the most chilling aspect of this is some of the overt similarity to the events a few years ago at the Cecil Hotel in LA... which the movie predates. If you're interested in that, you can Google it...it's kind of weird.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
Green Room: first i thought it was going to be the typical shitty movie about adolescents having sex and doing drugs and then dying. Nope. It was a simple plot yet nicely executed. It kept me entertained, i liked the atmosphere, the neonazi vibe pressure and the underground rock scene portrait. If you want to watch something quick then u should check this one out. 7,5/10

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Thank you Jenny, lots to keep me busy me.. Ima start with The Witch, 2016 :D

Local time
-->
Oh wow ginger snaps!!!
So nostalgic...

I was going to say sth about funny games but im getting mad deja vu here...did we talk about this film before?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Oh wow ginger snaps!!!
So nostalgic...

I have a digital copy downloaded but haven't watched it yet.

I was going to say sth about funny games but im getting mad deja vu here...did we talk about this film before?
I don't know. The same director remade his own movie for American audiences (with Naomi Watts, etc.), pretty much shot for shot, but it's not considered quite as good.

The original was pretty disturbing, despite the lower budget, and seemed to comment also on the commercialization of violence. Having the actors be people I didn't recognize was better.

It might have come up before?

Green Room: first i thought it was going to be the typical shitty movie about adolescents having sex and doing drugs and then dying. Nope. It was a simple plot yet nicely executed. It kept me entertained, i liked the atmosphere, the neonazi vibe pressure and the underground rock scene portrait. If you want to watch something quick then u should check this one out. 7,5/10

That one's been on my list. I'll see it shortly when it hits redbox.

Also want to see it for Patrick Stewart (ha!)... and sadly, Anton Yelchin.

Local time
-->
I have a digital copy downloaded but haven't watched it yet.

I don't know. The same director remade his own movie for American audiences (with Naomi Watts, etc.), pretty much shot for shot, but it's not considered quite as good.

The original was pretty disturbing, despite the lower budget, and seemed to comment also on the commercialization of violence. Having the actors be people I didn't recognize was better.

It might have come up before?

That one's been on my list. I'll see it shortly when it hits redbox.

Also want to see it for Patrick Stewart (ha!)... and sadly, Anton Yelchin.

I don't remember much about ginger snaps except that I really liked it. Premise is unoriginal(heavy allusions to puberty and what not) but something about it is sincere and it stands out in its genre. I remember the sequel sucked tho

Oh yeah I vaguely remember discussing the flunk of funny games' remake here

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Tomorrow 4:21 AM
-->
Haven't been watching movies for a while but I've been a busy bee with TV shows: The Americans; Game of Thrones; Silicon Valley; Penny Dreadful.

I don't know what to say about my tastes.. I like fantasy, dystopia, neo noir, psychological thrillers.. What you say about them?

From 'They Live', 'District 9', 'Underworld', 'Sin City', 'Idiocracy', 'The 5th Element', 'I Robot', 'Source Code', 'Moon', 'Alien', 'Predator', 'Mad Max', 'Avatar', 'The Moth Man Prophecies', 'Seven', 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Gone Girl', 'Zodiac', 'Cruel Intentions', 'The Craft', 'The Abyss', '28 Days later', to 'Shutter Island', and 'Dog; Soldiers etc.
I'll suggest a few: Dark City, The Thing, Oldboy, Gattaca, The Shining, The Ninth Gate, and V for Vendetta.

I'd start with Dark City since that seems to me a perfect match for you.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Youknow, I've tried watching that twice, but must have been drunk or something..will try again.. Some great suggestions, keep em coming!!

Ohh Green Room.. I just love Patrick Stewart xD

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
i've been watching movies all day, that means 2 of them xD

The Invitation: not so cool to be honest, you will get tired of hearing: i'm glad that you came, i'm glad you are here, i love you, etc. A lot of bullshit dialogue for like 80% of the movie, where nothing really happens. It's kind of predictable from the begining. Ending is also dissapointing. 5/10
I feel i already saw this movie thousand of times before.

Cloverfield 10: fuck omg i wasn't expecting such a cool movie at all. You always think you know what is going on but no shit! they don't let you. At the end it's like c'mon. The ambience in the bunker is quite cool, all characters are nice. What a booty the main one had. omg.
9/10

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hail, Caesar! (2016): Cohen bros movie.

The individual parts are fun and sometimes well-done (along with the ton of cameos by decent star and character actors); unfortunately, the overall storyline is pretty weak and barely lets all the individual pieces hang together.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976?):

An old favorite I haven't watched for awhile. Clousea takes over the Head Inspector, while Dreyfuss almost gets out of the funny farm but is undermined by Clouseau's well-meant attempt to speak in his behalf... so instead he breaks out and almost destroys the world in his attempt to kill Clouseau.

Sellers and Lom are just great here, Lom especially. Some of the jokes are still funny even when I know what they are, and I feel pretty sympathetic towards Inspector Dreyfuss for wanting to destroy the world over Clouseau; I mean, wouldn't you? Not sure the movie will ever get that old.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:21 PM
-->
The $2 theater near my house was showing a movie called "Money Monster". On the surface, it's just another boring Julia Roberts/George Clooney movie, but there were three elements of realism that really struck me.
SPOILER!
1. At the end, Kyle was the criminal, not the man who had stolen $800,000,000 from his stock holders. Kyle was killed and the CEO got an apology. I realize he was promptly punched and then eventually "investigated" but it never bothered to show the result of the investigation. We know he was only going to get a slap on the wrist.
2. The apathy of the average person. In most movies where people are showed to be glued to their TV sets, it's because they are deeply moved. The people here were a mixture of amused and mildly interested. As soon as it was over, they just went back to their lives as if nothing had happened. Even the main characters seemed unphased by what they had been a part of.
3. Kyle was no mastermind. He really was an average, fool-hardy, average guy. He wasn't anyone's hero, he didn't have some diabolical plan, and he made a lot of mistakes.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
extraordinary tales: compilation of edgar allan poe stories, i liked the cheap animation, i like poe as well so it's cool to spend some time watching it. 6,5/10

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
Today 8:21 PM
-->
I like watching game walkthroughs as if they were movies, the CoD games campaigns made for excellent movies. Considering which I should pick next. Uncharted, the last of us, maybe heavy rain or maybe something more indie... so many choices.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:21 AM
-->
the last video i watched had your mother in it

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
the last video i watched had your mother in it

Oh I've seen that:

spider.jpg

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
The witch. Deviates greatly from horror norms aesthetically. Soundtrack and photo reminiscient of There will be Blood. Language of the films historical setting is supposedly used, don't think common folk spoke that way myself but the actors pull it off anyway. There was horror but despair played a more central part.

Dayum/10, are there even any other films like this?

muir

Banned
Local time
-->
'Predestination'...timetravel headfuck with ethan hawke

'safety not guaranteed'- magazine intern sent to report on man seeking a timetravel companion

'Ruby Sparks'...raises some interesting issues about relationships and what we expect from others

'What we did on our holiday'...darkly comic

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
...Sarah Snook was actually the MVP of "Predestination." Hawke was solid but not the stand-out. Loved the movie.

.... in the middle of watching Vampires (1998) by John Carpenter. (Reminds me of "Near Dark" (1987), another western vampire pic.) Woods is actually pretty good here and raises the movie's bar; so far the best scene is the opener, where the vampire hunters clear out a nest. It's a bit campy but amusing and rather novel -- perfecting the "vampire killing" process into something more methodical and with the appropriate tech.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 6:21 AM
-->
Beerfest lol

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 8:21 AM
-->
10 Cloverfield Lane. Was afraid it was going to turn out like Contact with Jodie Foster, a movie that builds up to the end only to show you a human looking alien and leaving more questions than answers. The story was good with some interesting and believable twists. And the ending was pretty apt for the build-up of wanting to know what's happening above ground. If you thought it was going to be a boring suspense of people going crazy only to find out there's nothing going on or be left in the dark, like I did, that doesn't happen at all.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I guess everyone has a different take.

I didn't enjoy the last ten minutes mainly because it felt like it was tacked on from some other movie. (It could have been its own movie and then it would have been fine, I'm a fan of the genre.)

But I thought everything up to that was great, as far as the claustrophobic psychological pot-boiler.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Oh, well, yeah it did kind of take a different direction, almost flipping genre by the end. I could see how that takes the believability factor out as well. But I liked that it was completely unexpected and kind of put the story into a completely different momentum. It was like a big release.

I would have been disappointed had there been nothing going on or had she ended up helpless again.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I wonder if they have plans to continue going with it, to see what might happen next in that storyline....

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
^ heh, I kind of wondered too. It kind of left on a cliffhanger and there's a lot of potential for another movie. They can take it in any direction they want. Would be cool to see where Abrams takes it and how it connects to Cloverfield. Wikipedia has this

Having originally planned the film as a direct sequel to Cloverfield, Abrams suggested that he has thought of something that if they are lucky enough to get it made "could be really cool that [it] connects some stories" in a third film, even teasing a larger Cloverfield universe.[22][59] Interviews with Trachtenberg and Winstead confirm that the movie is, and always was intended to be, an expansion of the first film, with Trachtenberg calling it the "Cloververse".[60]

Winstead has voiced her interest in returning for another installment​

It looks like Abrams wants another film.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
hidden: meh, i must say i wasn't really expecting the way it ended but i wasn't totally into the story because it was kind of boring. Bunker, enemies surrounding them, no escape and suddenly magic happens. The ending really ruins the whole movie even if other 75% wasn't so good already. It drops my mark from like 6/10 to 3,8/10
Another thing i really disliked was the super wise little bitchy girl, omg what an annoying piece of shit of human being. I was hoping she died first. Omnipresent, omnipotent, all knowing. WTF die already. Also her acting was so fake at some spots. Now that i remember of her i will drop the mark a bit more 1/10 Her father was like a joke? mixing Jim Carrey looks with Gandhi soul healing? it just doesn't blend bro. And mom was also fake as fuck, i specially remember that part where they were worried in the bedroom and she just walk from here to there shouting nonsense. That was her everest of bad acting probably. Drop it for the sake of warning people TMB, do it: 0,35 /10

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
The witch. Deviates greatly from horror norms aesthetically. Soundtrack and photo reminiscient of There will be Blood. Language of the films historical setting is supposedly used, don't think common folk spoke that way myself but the actors pull it off anyway. There was horror but despair played a more central part.

Dayum/10, are there even any other films like this?

yeah really nice one, closest thing that comes to mind is The Village

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
yeah really nice one, closest thing that comes to mind is The Village

I wouldn't put them in anywhere near the same category except perhaps the cosmetics of setting.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 8:21 PM
-->
Taken

Should have ended with the father & daughter embrace.

Daughter isn't hot enough for it to be believable that she is the most expensive sex slave.

Good cuts and Liam Neeson looks like a badass i guess.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 11:21 AM
-->
Irreversible, didn't really pay attention all the way through but it was good. Graphic imagery in the beginning was a little intense but it lessened throughout. The cinematography and colors were good especially in some of the interior scenes or scenes with landscapes, such as in the tunnel, although in that case it wasn't necessarily good but rather suiting. Will watch again.. Seemed to be preparation for the next film he made, a similar long take minimal cut style.

Point Break (2015), was good and liked it almost as much as the original. They were different and hard to compare, references to classic scenes ended up in different locations. The girl character was more attractive. No Gary Busey guy gave it a more serious tone, plus there were dark scenes often. What I didn't like is the ex-presidents were now just adrenaline junkies who surfed instead of hardcore surfers who sometimes sky dived (unless I'm mistaken?). A lot of the death scenes were weird with people falling to their death. Overall not bad, would watch again.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Ghostbusters (2016) -- Fun movie, both this and the original can be kinda goofy and have their flaws, but this movie doesn't have as many memorable one-liners as the first one. However, it has a different kind of humor approach (typical for Wiig / McCarthy movies) that can be enjoyable, even if there won't be quotable lines.

Best taken as a riff on the same material, versus an actual remake or sequel. Shame the politics dwarf the conversation about the movie, versus just taking the movie on its own terms.

Star Trek Beyond: Basically Fast and Furious in Space, using the Trek crew. It's a typical summer popcorn action flick, with no real mistakes but doesn't really leave you with much afterwards either. Also just like a typical Star Trek episode (or TV episode in general ) where, after all is said and done, nothing has changed -- all the plot points, characters, etc., are restored to where they started, essentially.

They tried to cover the entire crew, so all the majors get a sequence where they shine; of course Kirk and Spock get a little more direct focus, but again nothing that's too dramatic long-term.

Irreversible, didn't really pay tension all the way through but it was good. Graphic imagery in the beginning was a little intense but it lessened throughout. The cinematography and colors were good especially in some of the interior scenes or scenes with landscapes, such as in the tunnel, although in that case it wasn't necessarily good but rather suiting. Will watch again.. Seemed to be preparation for the next film he made, a similar long take minimal cut style.

Sounds like you made it through no worse for wear. This movie gets pretty controversial about its "moral substance" if that makes any sense. There are two particular scenes that are pretty brutal in content. I think the movie is actually ethical in how it's all set up (and the scene sequencing), but I've seen some people flip out over it.

dang

Local time
Today 11:21 AM
-->
Love and Friendship. Kate Beckinsale. Lovely.

Top Bottom