• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Last movie you watched

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 4:51 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
indeed that was a great movie plus Pitt looks super hot there.
edit: Forgot to mention that French girl oh my god.
I'll post her tomorrow in the other thread.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:51 AM
-->
Just watched all of Black Mirror, including the Christmas special. Dayum! Highly recommended

15 Million Merits absolutely floored me. Great anthology series! Creepy and intriguing.

Yeah, I loved the rather ambiguous ending of that one. Did anything really change for him? And was it what he actually wanted?

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
Yesterday 9:51 PM
-->
Grass Valley, CA (small town near Sacramento)
The Congress with Robin Wright and Harvey Keitel.

On Amazon Prime instant stream. Super trippy concept about actors and Hollywood as we approach the Singularity.

Tusk directed by Kevin Smith with Justin Long.

Not big into horror or whatever you call The Human Centipede genre but this one had a captivating flow to it.

Whiplash with JK Simmons and Miles Teller was by far my favorite of screener season.

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
Yeah, I loved the rather ambiguous ending of that one. Did anything really change for him? And was it what he actually wanted?

I just sat there speechless in awe. I have no idea what was going through his head at the end. A definite moral compass benchmark test.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 10:51 PM
-->
I finally watched Django for the first time. It took me until the scene in the bar before I recognized Christoph Waltz. The voice was so familiar, and I just couldn't place it until then. I feel like Tarantino had been leading up to this movie with hints in previous films (most heavily placed, of course, in Inglorious Basterds). Either way, I wasn't disappointed.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I finally watched Django for the first time. It took me until the scene in the bar before I recognized Christoph Waltz. The voice was so familiar, and I just couldn't place it until then. I feel like Tarantino had been leading up to this movie with hints in previous films (most heavily placed, of course, in Inglorious Basterds). Either way, I wasn't disappointed.

I had the same experience, the other way... because I've only ever seen him with the beard. (I saw Django when it released on bluray.)

So here in I.B. I didn't really figure out it was him until close to the end of the first part.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I had the same experience, the other way... because I've only ever seen him with the beard. (I saw Django when it released on bluray.)

So here in I.B. I didn't really figure out it was him until close to the end of the first part.
it's funny too, because his voice, accent, cadence, etc. are identical and so distinct that you'd think we'd pick it up right away (I don't know about you, but I'm pretty good at detecting/placing accents and voices). I guess maybe it's a testament to his skill as an actor.

Speaking of IB, where is IB? Did he officially leave or drift away or what?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
it's funny too, because his voice, accent, cadence, etc. are identical and so distinct that you'd think we'd pick it up right away (I don't know about you, but I'm pretty good at detecting/placing accents and voices). I guess maybe it's a testament to his skill as an actor.

I'm not really good with accents, but I don't have much exposure to them. I did however pick Mike Myers out in that movie without knowing what role he was playing, although he didn't look like himself at all. He was doing a Brit accent, and I know his work in Austin Powers very well and recognized his inflections. (I was like, "Wait, that sounds like him!" Then I looked: "No, doesn't look like him in the least." Then: "Dammit, that sounds just like him! That's got to be him!")

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
whiplash

great watch, really intense, powerful and fine-tuned, 8/10

the theory of everything

utterly inane tripe as for the script and plot and content - i guess it has nice shots, atmosphere and acting though, 5/10

the imitation game

great acting especially from matthew goode, some problems with pacing and script, a bit overstuffed and unnecessarily sentimental, 7/10

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
nightcrawler.

absolutely amazing character study.

this is how i imagine a smart TiNeSiFe type.

Just read the script. Protagonist certainly vibes INTP...gonna watch the film itself later if I finish my homework.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Comes out on Bluray on Tuesday. Planning to buy that one.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Today i saw Fury and i remember reading a comment nanook posted in where he said this guy was an asshole and i partially disagree, he was beautiful from outside. If i was one of his comrades of course i would be intimidated by him and also may think he's disgusting but there's something charming about him, something childish, you can only see as a observing person not someone who interacts with him.
The movie was pretty good, i just thought the whole way of killing themselves because yes (last battle) was kinda absurd but anyway they were all a bit crazy. I liked that they all were disturbed, i empathized with their pain even if i haven't been in a war. I felt i was not alone lol.

7.5/10

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
A couple days ago a pal said the main character from Nightcrawler reminded him of me, for some reason. I was indifferent to the comment. Will probably vainly check it out hopefully within this next week.

In other news, watched Mirror (Tarkovsky) a few days ago. It was alright.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:51 AM
-->
Trash - movie about kids from a slum playing detective and hunting for a treasure of sorts, very cute adventure story. 8

The Theory of Everything - the movie about stephen hawking. as watchable and worthwhile as a movie about him could possibly be, i guess. 7.

Northmen - A Viking Saga - a movie about a bunch of vikings - feels like a good tv show, the characters are too flat for a movie, the story is too made up to feel realistic. still well executed and entertaining. 7

Kill the movie. No, i mean Kill the Messenger. The kind of plot i can't even remember for a week. But good acting from Jeremy Renner. 7

Dark Valley. Das finstere Tal A movie that is supposed to play in germany, bavaria, albeit it's much like a western. Started with a very moderate temper but it won me with it's unique charm. Above all i love the movies that introduce me to a new "world", like incarnations. That makes me overlook some weaknesses. 8

The Internet's Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz
and Citizenfour worth seeing. no comment.

Rudderless This movie is perhaps as emotional as a story about an intj will ever get. I loved it. The music is also enjoyable. It has a bit of this b-movie feeling, but is definitely watchable. 7

Birdman It's hard for me to remember this movie. A psychosis type of movie, my second favorite genre. But strange. Idk, 7 i guess.

Foxcatcher OMG Steve Carell is so creepy as this character. Almost hard to take but fascinating. Good acting. He is the kind of stunted growth ISTJ/INTJ that is hard to take. Little Napoleon. Kinda looks like Sam Harris btw. His mother, Sienna Miller has more similarity with the Millionaire (Du Pont) who is played by Steve. Channing feels like INFJ/INTJ to me. Although he plays more of an ISTP role. And his older brother Mark Ruffalo has more of an INTJ/ISTJ role.

The Immigrant This movie lives through characters and through the air of the period. It's more like a theatrical drama than a realistic history movie. I watch all Joaquin Phoenix movies and usually like them. 8

Starred Up Two rather antisocial characters, father and son, locked into the same jail. Incredible acting fromJack O'Connell who looks like Anton Yelchin. Ben Mendelson is also really good (A scary INTJ i think). This movie has a super realistic feeling to it. Painfull but good. 8

Son of a Gun Also about Prisoners. Not quite as realistic, definitely more of a holywood type of plot, but close to realism in visual style. With Ewam McGregor. Good acting. 7

The Drop A gangster story, enjoyable but forgettable plot, however Tom Hardy is so very intense that the movie seems more noteworthy than many gangster movies.

As always, i share everything i rate 7 or higher. I don't try to be objective in rating movies.This is purely about my feels. Interestingly i end up rating most movies like most people do. I have seen american sniper and it was an intense and well made movie, but i can't give a rating to overt propaganda type movies. However it's not the worst type of propaganda that is out there. It's just a subjective piece and that is okay, from an artistic point of view. I am more offended by movies like the expendables.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
American Hustle

Really enjoyed it. Top notch acting. HATED both the slimy FBI guy and bitchy-insane wife, a compliment to both their performances. It's rare that I feel anything but jaded towards what passes for character development nowadays.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Watched half of "Nightcrawler" last night, with Gyllenhall. He's really good -- and that's bad, because his character is pretty disturbing even in how he carries himself / projects himself. He seems to also have little conscience or sense of boundaries while doing all the "right thing" to try to seem normal.

(Maybe that's another way to say it: He's like a guy pretending to be human and "doing all the right stuff" but underneath he kind of isn't and can't quite pull it off.)

Looking forward to seeing the rest when I get a chance. It definitely is Gyllenhall in top form.

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
^^^ Uhh, what you describe hasn't reached its peak in the movie yet, there is a moment when this dynamic comes to a head and it gets SUPER intense. Jake G did a fantastic job hovering around a boundry line then toying with the viewers until daring to emphatically cross it.

Similar to Drive, without the film noir style, same kind of pacing and focused on a single character arc. Solid piece of film.

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
American Hustle

Really enjoyed it. Top notch acting. HATED both the slimy FBI guy and bitchy-insane wife, a compliment to both their performances. It's rare that I feel anything but jaded towards what passes for character development nowadays.

Loved that one. David O Russell can direct, thats for sure.

Louis CK and the ice fishing story was hilarious, also Christian Bale's wig should have been nominated for a best supporting actor award.

The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook got him his name recognition but I Heart Huckabees is one of O Russell's earlier works Ive been meaning to revisit.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 12:51 PM
-->
Departures from our Theo class. It's light drama but the storytelling is enjoyable and the characters are relatable and likeable (especially the protagonist's boss).

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
lol who watches movies?

Read a book simpletons.

Why did Socrates disdain the written word?

He sort of tells us in one of his (ie, Plato’s) dialogues, the Phaedrus. He takes several shots:

He tells a legend from Egypt, in which a god gives a king the gift of writing as an aid to memory. The king, however, observes that writing things down is likely to be a remedy for reminding, at the expense of remembering, and thus will lead to less wisdom, not more.
He then compares writing to paintings, which “remain most solemnly silent” whenever you question them, and just say the same thing over and over, stupidly and dumbly. People wise and ignorant alike will look at them and understand and misunderstand them. And they (the words/pictures) cannot talk back, defend themselves, explain themselves.
So text has several problems, in Socrates’ opinion:

It is not a conversation, not dialectic, because it cannot go back and forth and climb toward something higher, such as a truth.
An author has no control over what idiots or assholes might read his text, whereas somebody in oral conversation does control with whom he speaks.
Words outside of their original context (ie the intention of the person using them, and the way a listener might hear them) can mean anything, and thus nothing at all.
Ultimately, Socrates disdained writing for a subtler reason that unifies all these points: It’s just not what life is about!

Instead, life is about communing with others and discovering yourself and truths in conversation. Not about recording this or that, or propagating this or that. Socrates believed that you can’t find yourself when you write, only when you converse.

http://andreaskluth.org/2009/06/19/the-spoken-and-the-written-word/

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Watched the second part of Nightcrawler. Yeesh.

I'm not sure how I feel about movies with successful sleezy protagonists. It was well-acted and eye-opening, the movie itself very well-done; at the same time, I wanted to shower afterwards.

lol who watches movies?

Read a book simpletons.

who posts on Internet forums?

Go read your book Instead.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
The Line Up

1957 Noir (I'd put it as one of the marginal Noirs)

Quite fun to see San Francisco in the 50's (it looks the same for the most part other than the billboards). For some reason they like to shoot down by the beginning of the Piers at the Bay Bridge. Google has their SF offices there (I've been there quite a bit) so it's all familiar territory.

Also delightful to see Eli Wallach in a perfect villain role for him. You might know him from his parts in spaghetti westerns (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - "Hey Blondie!") and the Magnificent Seven.

Sockrates

Local time
-->
Watched the second part of Nightcrawler. Yeesh.

I'm not sure how I feel about movies with successful sleezy protagonists. It was well-acted and eye-opening, the movie itself very well-done; at the same time, I wanted to shower afterwards.

who posts on Internet forums?

Go read your book Instead.

Oh don't be so hurt, it was only a joke.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Interview, the worst film I had a displeasure watching. I put it in the same category as Braindead. In my opinion there are actual levels of stupidity underneath which any attempts at parody remain entirely idiotic, awkward and shallow, irrespective of the intended message.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
Why did Socrates disdain the written word?

He sort of tells us in one of his (ie, Plato’s) dialogues, the Phaedrus. He takes several shots:

He tells a legend from Egypt, in which a god gives a king the gift of writing as an aid to memory. The king, however, observes that writing things down is likely to be a remedy for reminding, at the expense of remembering, and thus will lead to less wisdom, not more.
He then compares writing to paintings, which “remain most solemnly silent” whenever you question them, and just say the same thing over and over, stupidly and dumbly. People wise and ignorant alike will look at them and understand and misunderstand them. And they (the words/pictures) cannot talk back, defend themselves, explain themselves.
So text has several problems, in Socrates’ opinion:

It is not a conversation, not dialectic, because it cannot go back and forth and climb toward something higher, such as a truth.
An author has no control over what idiots or assholes might read his text, whereas somebody in oral conversation does control with whom he speaks.
Words outside of their original context (ie the intention of the person using them, and the way a listener might hear them) can mean anything, and thus nothing at all.
Ultimately, Socrates disdained writing for a subtler reason that unifies all these points: It’s just not what life is about!

Instead, life is about communing with others and discovering yourself and truths in conversation. Not about recording this or that, or propagating this or that. Socrates believed that you can’t find yourself when you write, only when you converse.

http://andreaskluth.org/2009/06/19/the-spoken-and-the-written-word/

I think this shows how Socrates was a ENTP leading with extroverted intuition.

Teffnology

Valar Morghulis
Local time
-->
I think this shows how Socrates was a ENTP leading with extroverted intuition.

That is the consensus I have gotten from various typing sites.

I was more posting that excerpt so as to have a witty remark for our Sockrates (IxTJ) talking about reading a book instead of watching a movie.

Socrates much would have rather gone to a play than read a book. ENTP sounds pretty accurate.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
The Brothers Bloom.

I tend to like Rian Johnson, and out of his three movies, that was the one the critics weren't in agreement on. Watched it and actually thought it was pretty funny, with a bit of depth. One aspect that was interesting was that since it was about con men, it was difficult to tell what was a con, wasn't, or even a con within a con (or deeper layers)... until perhaps the very end. But there were some lines set up throughout the movie that resonated more once everything was said and done.

Decent acting. Mark Ruffalo was good here, although the real show-stealer was Rikko Kikuchi as "Bang Bang." She barely had any lines but was very expressive facially. Of course Rachel Weisz seems to glow in whatever movie she's in; sometimes she's one of the few good things in a movie.

Sockrates

Local time
-->
That is the consensus I have gotten from various typing sites.

I was more posting that excerpt so as to have a witty remark for our Sockrates (IxTJ) talking about reading a book instead of watching a movie.

Socrates much would have rather gone to a play than read a book. ENTP sounds pretty accurate.

Good thing my name isn't Socrates. I liked the person that he was, even though it ultimately got him killed. People like Socrates are needed in this world in order for humans not to destroy everything further.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Watched Nightcrawler last night. It was at least a good film. I think he said that because I used to go around with a camera filming various things. People used to say I remind them of the guy from American Beauty, and some thought I was trying to copy him but I started doing that before I even heard of or saw that film.

So I don't watch many films nowadays but this was a well crafted one. Kind of reminded me of Drive. In a normal movie there would be traditional type dialogue but in here whenever characters were engaged they would be saying weird stuff, other than that it appeared as a traditional thriller... All the manipulation going on made me feel uncomfortable. I liked the thing he was doing though, before it got a little unbelievable. Gathering footage probably has some value behind it. The competitive nature it showed also highlights the nature of most careers, even if it's doing something you love.

Also a potential reasons why females generally try to put off sex for as long as possible, to make sure it would be with someone they can trust and who isn't psychopathic. The actress added a nice a touch to her reactions when she believed Jake's character was fulfilling his end of the bargain or promise. That seemed to be a little more attractive than anything else I guess.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
From Dusk Till Dawn

That movie was a fucking mess. I'll watch the sequel eventually.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
From Dusk Till Dawn

That movie was a fucking mess. I'll watch the sequel eventually.

It was quite the mess, but some parts of it were rather fun. It might have been one of Tarantino's better jobs as an actor too... although that is not saying much.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
It was quite the mess, but some parts of it were rather fun. It might have been one of Tarantino's better jobs as an actor too... although that is not saying much.
He's a pretty awful actor, but you're right. He did "unstable, murderous sexual predator" very well. Conversely, I think it was Harvey Keitel's second-worst role.

Frankie

Local time
-->
I saw Kingsman: The Secret Service today. The plot is kinda the same with Dan Brown's Inferno and Captain America: Winter Soldier - Some group of people trying to reduce the world population. Overall, it's a good movie. There was humor and there was action.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
From Dusk Til Dawn 3 is actually great and really underrated if you like Roberto Rodriguez movies, I haven't seen number 2 but it supposedly sucks.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
What's the worst?
Sister Act.
From Dusk Til Dawn 3 is actually great and really underrated if you like Roberto Rodriguez movies, I haven't seen number 2 but it supposedly sucks.
Thanks for the heads up. I looked them up a few hours ago and was going to write them off because it had none of the same actors (which is usually a bad sign). I'll try #3 tomorrow and just skip #2.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
Saw Whiplash tonight. Enjoyed it very much. To me it was mostly a movie about male psychology, respect, and the reasons you go into something turning into something very different and far more powerful...

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 3:51 PM
-->
Saw Birdman last night.

Movie 9/10
Soundtrack 42/10

Overall score 51/20

Seeing Whiplash next.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Whiplash - damn good althought i wasn't expecting it to end where it ended, like 9/10. The professor was fucking amazing.

Nightcrawler - great movie, really enterntaining and i would like to hear nanook's explanations on why does he thinks this guy is a INTP when i see him more of a Te driven guy. 8/10

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
The other night I was hanging out with my dad and we watched this bizarre spaghetti western called Keoma. I expected it to be completely corny but it was actually fascinating in a strange, surreal sort of way. The soundtrack is something else.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I summoned my courage and watched "The Fault in Our Stars" last night, just to see what the hubbub was about.

I don't think it was nearly as good as the critics made it out to be, although it had a few Real moments in it. (I felt like it kinda fell apart in the last ten minutes. And Willem DaFoe? What was that all about?) Shailene Woodley was amazing though.

--

saw Big Hero 6 on Friday.
Great visuals, okay but not spectacular story.
Not sure why it won an Oscar or why The Lego Movie wasn't even nominated.

--

Watched a trailer for Whiplash. It's on my must-see list.

Olivia

Just go
Local time
-->
Amazing Spider-Man

Top Bottom