• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

To all INTPs - do the thing you are afraid of

Valentas

Local time
Today 9:11 AM
-->
I am a subscriber to this amazing guy who provides truly great wisdom for other people. In this video he reiterates the importance of saying "fuck it" and do the thing anyway. I think this is one of major reasons of INTP lagging behind other types in career or other development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xgjb8spwew&list=UULrI-dOLyDbRnPyUeWadsOg&index=4

There are more videos which rings true so much but as I always said to myself: "We know so freakin' a lot but we do so little".

I invite you all to step out of your thoughts, say fuck it and proceed on the road through the maze. Stop doubting and just do the thing you're afraid of: asking that girl out or joining the university for a degree you think is suitable to you.

Discuss.:D

patchtrix

Local time
Today 3:11 AM
-->
Haha exactly, speaking of which just a couple weeks ago finally made decision to move to different town to get bachelors in geology

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 5:11 AM
-->
I'm afraid of putting my hand in the fire for more than 30 seconds.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I am a subscriber to this amazing guy who provides truly great wisdom for other people. In this video he reiterates the importance of saying "fuck it" and do the thing anyway.

I agree with the sentiment.

I didn't do a lot for much of my life out of fear. At this point, there's a lot of stuff where, if the end result of failure isn't going to totally destroy you, it's better to just leap right in and swim; typically you will rise to the challenge better than expected, and there's no other way to make progress. Too much time and energy is dissipated in minute risk analysis, when really just a broader risk assessment is adequate so that one does not make any blatant fatal mistakes.

I'm more scared of 5-10. By 30, I doubt your hand will be feeling much.... :phear:

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 4:11 PM
-->

You have a compulsive undying thought to put your hand in flame for more than 30 seconds?

YOU GO MAN! YOU DO IT!

SHOW IT TO THEM!

But no seriously, I like Elliot's perspective of life and I like heading down that path.

Valentas

Local time
-->
I think Elliott is great for INTP to listen He has many ideas and we like ideas. Some of them are crazy while others resonate with every MBTI type. He has more shit in his channel and some of them are great. I recommend video about navy seal and computer engineer :D It is great.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
His videos and ideas put me off a bit, and I'm trying to characterize why that is. Let me talk through this.

On the surface the ideas sound great and he's certainly a motivational speaker. It reminds me of Tony Robbins though. They're both dynamic, extroverted and muscular speakers. Their speeches definitely get me moving and motivated, but it doesn't last. After a few weeks of adrenaline I wash out. Similarly when I hook up with other engineers at a conference or event I get some supercharge of motivation which eventually wears me out.

I've come to realize that my motivation and working style is different. It involves a lot more doubt; am I taking the right path? Am I even in the ballpark? Is this a stupid idea that is going to embarrass me? Yes there's fear there in a sense, but I think it actually serves a useful purpose for my creative process. I throw out a hundred ideas for each one I pursue.

So are these videos good? Maybe ... I use Einstein as a role model for how an INTP can produce something useful. He just quietly worked in the patent office pursuing an idea to its logical extreme. He didn't accomplish as much later in life but still he just quietly plugged away, apparently without motivational highs or lows.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:11 AM
-->
Their speeches definitely get me moving and motivated, but it doesn't last. After a few weeks of adrenaline I wash out..

I'd say my activation energy is higher, and my relaxation time lower.
These speeches make me think 'well maybe i'll get out of my chair', and they might have me do something productive for a while, but it definitely won't last weeks. In fact, if this is the only motivator for me to do something, I doubt anything will happen...

In all honesty, stress and a deadline you've practically already failed to meet are the best motivators...

I like thinking it over, and I know that's not really what they're trying to accomplish. I smile and think 'that's a nice speech', but I don't really do anything diffrent. My time will come, I assume :p

Edit : In my defense, I think i'm doing quite alright and don't mind how things are going at the moment. I'd say that's a fair reason not to change anything majorly. If i weren't content, things might have been diffrent.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Today 2:11 AM
-->
His videos and ideas put me off a bit, and I'm trying to characterize why that is. Let me talk through this. Their speeches definitely get me moving and motivated, but it doesn't last.

I've come to realize that my motivation and working style is different.

So are these videos good? Maybe ... I use Einstein as a role model for how an INTP can produce something useful. He just quietly worked in the patent office pursuing an idea to its logical extreme. He didn't accomplish as much later in life but still he just quietly plugged away, apparently without motivational highs or lows.

This is an epiphany I have had very recently. When I get in a slump I try and find an emotionally motivating "blastoff" juncture or storyline to get me moving. It works, but then I fuck up or slow down and sink back into my slump again, except this time more angry and frustrated at myself for not following the new "plan" or vision or ideological mindframe.

I realized that my looking for external motivation or some kind of role model is actually holding me back and messing with my inherent (and ONLY) method of being productive: to have a very monotonous, boring routine and not stop. This doesn't mean popping Adderall and pulling all nighters. On the contrary it means having a very set and healthy routine where I just pick away at each next thing to do and then relax in a quiet way instead of in a blowing-off-steam way outside of working.

This is a major reason why I also have recently decided that I need to stop getting involved (romantically) with extroverts. I am mesmerized by their effortless ability to just tune in, switch on, switch off, back on...it takes me a long time to get into the work zone but once I do I can stay there for a long time and get a lot done if I am not interrupted and avoid getting caught up in any mental drama -- whether surrounding or outside of the work.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
This is an epiphany I have had very recently. When I get in a slump I try and find an emotionally motivating "blastoff" juncture or storyline to get me moving. It works, but then I fuck up or slow down and sink back into my slump again, except this time more angry and frustrated at myself for not following the new "plan" or vision or ideological mindframe.

Bingo. The specific issue is that the motivational high too easily channels into our inferior Fe, which too easily turns into a "grip" experience. When I push hard ... "I'm going to do it dammit" it's really me trying to placate the inferior.

These are some recent things I've come to realize so is work in progress. I'm actively avoiding extroverted motivational determined thinking, instead preferring a quiet even work style.

travelnjones

Local time
Today 2:11 AM
-->
I am afraid of falling from a great height! i am pretty sure i will get hurt if i do. but if its good for me ok ill jump off the golden gate bridge

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
We INTPs do, or at least should, live the mantra "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". I think our manner of operating is a constant forward push. When we have to. For us, there's no getting excited and doing something quickly, we take the job, analyze it, take steps to finish it, on our own time. I'm not saying to never hurry, but when we hurry, we get worn out and feel wiped out. Deadlines are great motivators, and we may often procrastinate, but if we manage to get going before then, don't waste your energy trying to finish too soon. Just finish. Just take the job one step at a time, and the end will find you.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 5:11 PM
-->
I am a subscriber to this amazing guy who provides truly great wisdom for other people. In this video he reiterates the importance of saying "fuck it" and do the thing anyway. I think this is one of major reasons of INTP lagging behind other types in career or other development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xgjb8spwew&list=UULrI-dOLyDbRnPyUeWadsOg&index=4

There are more videos which rings true so much but as I always said to myself: "We know so freakin' a lot but we do so little".

I invite you all to step out of your thoughts, say fuck it and proceed on the road through the maze. Stop doubting and just do the thing you're afraid of: asking that girl out or joining the university for a degree you think is suitable to you.

Discuss.:D

I always believe that INTP's are one of the strongest types once they evolve. One could only wonder what would happen if the contents of our minds leak to the real world...

Valentas

Local time
-->
I guess the goal for INTP is this: choose something and stick with it. Don't quit after one year. Very little happens in only one year. I listen to that guy because some of his ideas are great. Also he shares them for free, what's not to like? ;}

Also, yeah, about motivation. The most effective way to get over lack of motivation is to force yourself to do that thing every day. After two months it should become automatic. Have you read "The Power of Habit"? It explains this very well, how we get our habits, why we do what we do and it is possible, with some discipline, to change wrong habits to the ones you want to possess. One of the ideas was to do some thing every day, no matter what. It will eventually become a habit and you will do that thing every day without trying.

For example, if you want to run a mile or more every day to keep your fitness levels high, then put running shoes and clothes near the bed. When you get up, you will step over them and remember that you need to go for a run. My close friend used this strategy and it worked wonders. Now she just gets up and goes for a run. Without effort.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 5:11 PM
-->
I guess the goal for INTP is this: choose something and stick with it. Don't quit after one year. Very little happens in only one year. I listen to that guy because some of his ideas are great. Also he shares them for free, what's not to like? ;}

Also, yeah, about motivation. The most effective way to get over lack of motivation is to force yourself to do that thing every day. After two months it should become automatic. Have you read "The Power of Habit"? It explains this very well, how we get our habits, why we do what we do and it is possible, with some discipline, to change wrong habits to the ones you want to possess. One of the ideas was to do some thing every day, no matter what. It will eventually become a habit and you will do that thing every day without trying.

For example, if you want to run a mile or more every day to keep your fitness levels high, then put running shoes and clothes near the bed. When you get up, you will step over them and remember that you need to go for a run. My close friend used this strategy and it worked wonders. Now she just gets up and goes for a run. Without effort.

I think we can't help but diverge from our goals due to our Ne. The solution? Burn bridges!

For example, if you wish to lose weight then try to live on the six or seventh floor of an apartment building ideally one without elevators. That way, you need to climb the stairs each time you need to go out of your house.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 8:11 PM
-->
This guy is boring.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->

I agree with this, with my caveats above that care should be taken to use an appropriate approach.

Spirit

ISTP Preference
Local time
-->
I have had to break it all up in chunks by writing it on a white board. I have to switch back and forth between sections or i get bored or overwhelmed trying to be perfect. When I say perfect, I mean, several options are popping into my head. Switching between projects helps me avoid over thinking the problem because of all possible solutions to my problems.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Alright, guys, time to do what I was afraid of! Wheeeeee! Falling off a bridge is fun!

-Duxwing

Duxwing

Local time
-->
The sea is soooo pretty and blue.

-Duxwing

Duxwing

Local time
-->
It's also looking very close and very hard. :(

-Duxwing

Duxwing

Local time
-->
PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN! WHERE'S MY AAAAAAARM!?

-Duxwing

Ostriker

Local time
-->
Saw this a week or so ago and have since been watching Elliot's videos a ton. He is brilliant! Thanks for introducing me to him. I'm 18 and have missed out on a lot in life so far because of fear and insecurity, so this guy seriously is a blessing to me right now! I love his philosophy of the body and mind as one. And everything he says about getting out of your own head and trusting your heart and balls to guide you is so true.

No way. ESFP for sure. He's got the Fi-Te thing going on.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 8:11 PM
-->

meanbluepanda

Local time
Today 6:11 AM
-->
I made myself laugh so hard because the second I read that he said do whatever your afraid of I instantly thought. But that could be dangerous what if.. then I realized the irony

Top Bottom