• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

WHAT have I done?

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 10:59 AM
-->
I work for a small outsourced IT company that provides technical support to hospitals. We only work with one client company. However, due to various reasons I can not legally detail here the relationship between my company and our client has been turning slightly sour recently. So my company CEO is actively looking for new clients to service.

He has found one and chosen me along with another long time employee to start up the new crew that will be working with this new client. There might even be business trips across the country involved. I have been increasingly bored with my current position and when my CEO offered me the new position I willingly took it.

Now I'm panicking. What is a silly little anti social INTP like me thinking of taking on a face role with a new client in a totally new program for a company that has never done something like this before?

:storks:

I fear there will be...liasing to do... *shudder*

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 7:59 PM
-->
INTP's are the foundation of society. Please, don't cut yourself sort.

Without INTPs, what would there be? *shivers*

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:59 AM
-->
Worst case scenario you turn into an ENTP.

Or best?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:59 AM
-->
Worst case scenario you turn into an ENTP.

Or best?

I think ENTP is my go to chameleon type. When I find myself in a situation where being my usual INTP self isn't working for me I tend to lean on my knowledge of what an ENTP would do or how they might process the information given to them.

yo time 2 shine

Whip out your Pness. Show it to the world. Make them fear its monstrous size, Cavallier.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 5:59 AM
-->
If you can't do it, who can? WHOOOOOOO? Nobody. that's who.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:59 PM
-->
You can do it.

it's just hard when you don't know the specifics ahead of time; I find I want to plan it all out in my head and not leave any ambiguous areas, but since it's all new, I don't know anything with which to figure out what to expect.

I have found, though, that we can be far more capable than we imagine ourselves to be. it's one of those times to rely on the NP flexibility rather than the IT "figure it all out rationally ahead of time" thing.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 6:59 PM
-->
Well worst case scenario it will be a valuable learning experience. But I think you can do it and that your reaction is quite natural.

~~~

Local time
-->
Many bosses take rejection of opportunities personally so it is better to take on opportunities afforded.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
A face role with a new crew and new client? Yikes! I'd be frightened, too. So many things could go wrong!

Yet so many things can go right. You could find a funny client, finagle a hefty price, or even earn a raise: thinking of the good possibilities as well as the bad ones helps you more accurately understand a situation. If you would rather not work as a face in the long term, then lobby your boss for a change of station or find work elsewhere.

I wish you the best in your endeavor. :)

-Duxwing

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
Tomorrow 3:29 AM
-->
What choice did you have?

Your CEO isn't looking for opportunities for fun - he's doing it because he has no choice. The job market sucks, and is flooded with people who can do what you do. Either you stepped up, or you would have been replaced.

Either way, relax. The good thing about doing things that the company hasn't done before is that no one, including your boss, know what success means. So if you pull it off, you're a hero, while if you don't, everyone will shrug their shoulders because they're equally clueless.

When talking to your client, keep it simple- "Hi, we have been sent here to find what your pain is, and take it away for you. What is it that we can do for you that will make your life easier?" - then sit back, listen, and take notes.

What's the big deal?

Local time
-->
I would focus on what you do know, which is you. Build a team around you. 2-3 individuals should suffice, less if you and your peer overlap.
Now I'm panicking.
Bah...

Now's the time to get excited about creation, not panic.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Now I'm panicking. What is a silly little anti social INTP like me thinking of taking on a face role with a new client in a totally new program for a company that has never done something like this before?

:storks:

He/She thinks you can do obviously. If you couldn't do it they would not have asked you.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
^

I trust the people around me to judge my ability more than I trust myself to do so. I do this because I've been told I suck at judging my own ability, even though I don't think I do :confused:

But seriously, if your boss has picked you for the job, they must have reason for doing so.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 1:59 AM
-->
You can do it.

It's just natural for talented people to get leadership and spearheading position so it's really wise to brush up on leadership and conversational skills regardless of your MBTI type.

Besides you'll never get bored now that you have a more complex problem to solve.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 11:59 AM
-->
Don't sweat it, with Ne + Fe you absolutely can do it. My philosophy has always been "I'll do (almost) anything once" which I've done. It's given me a broad range of experiences, including what you describe. Just don't do it for a long time, like years, and it'll be a good experience for you.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Awe! Thanks guys! I did not expect people to be so supportive around here.

I suspect I'll be fine. I've been with this company for going on 3 years. I think my CEO would be disappointed if I turned down the opportunity but he would respect my wishes and would not fire me. However, I'm going to give this a try. I don't know what the consequences are of trying but I certainly know the consequences of not trying: Regret.

Also, the experience is something I'll need. If I pull this off I can say I was on the ground floor of starting a new project and bringing it to successfull implementation and completion. That always looks good on a resume no matter where I apply to in the future.

I have always been the sort to leap into things with both feet if I'm not given enough time to worry but if I have time to think over the choice I get panicky. I don't do "waiting" well. I tend to go into disaster mode with worry. So, I'll do my best to not worry and instead wait for further direction. I have to wait until the contract is signed anyway. Then, the new beginning!

I'll do it or die trying! :evil:

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
-->
Have you had a chat with your boss about these things?

As someone who runs a business, communication is really important. If you were my employee, the last thing I would want is for you to tell me that you had everything under control and you really wanted this new role, when really you don't want the role, will hate it, fail to generate more business, and then quit later out of unhappiness.

If that happened, you'd hate me as your boss for "making" you do something, and I'll hate you for not telling me the truth.

So I would suggest having a chat with your boss and saying something like "I understand why you want me to do this, and will of course do everything I can to make sure that the company does well, since we're all in this together. However, I am not the most social person in the world, and am feeling a bit insecure about my ability to be some super salesman people person, so I might need some support in the beginning so that I don't make stupid mistakes".

I think that your boss will probably appreciate it, plus provide enough support to make you feel less uncertain - since it's the uncertainty that's giving you the heart attack

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Just don't do it for a long time, like years, and it'll be a good experience for you.

I think this will be key. I'm fine with getting the ball rolling and figuring out answers to early issues. After a year or so when things have been ironed out and the company settles into the day to day doldrums of the new team I'll be ready to move on again I think.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I think that your boss will probably appreciate it, plus provide enough support to make you feel less uncertain - since it's the uncertainty that's giving you the heart attack

Honestly, the first thing he said after I accepted the offer and he saw the look on my face was, "I don't have any details yet but you'll be the first to know once I have them. This is going to be touch and go for a while and if you have any issues you can come to me".

He has an open door policy and he knows I'll speak up immediately if I think something is not going to work or if something needs to change. I think that's the main reason why he chose me. I've never held back with constructive criticism in the past.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
@Cavallier. Do what you do best. Architect mentioned Ne and Fe. Use Si. Collection all the data/info you can about the situation and let it sink in. Then think (Ti) about it. What is missing? What do you need to know? How is the other long time employee? Combine your Fe's.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I tend to agree with those who are offering support or confidence in you. What I've found is that when I have a high degree of confidence in myself (which usually follows from being assured of my own competence in the field) then I do fine even when when there are unknowns.

I don't know about other INTPs, but, for me, the issue is internal more than anything else. When I'm sure of my own capacities, I end up doing okay -- when I'm unsure, I can get rattled and then I find myself in unpleasant situations.

I assume, from what I've seen you post, that you have the skills necessary to do just fine.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:59 AM
-->
I'd hire you any time. :p

Seriously though...I have been in the same situation as you. You were selected for a reason. The problem is often that people who see your qualities don't realise how much is going on beyond that calm and stoic facade. If you are anything like me, you do things with a high degree of carefully considered rationale. This process often takes some time if you are thrown into the deep end, particularly if you are as conscientious as I think you are. INTP's don't like to look unprofessional, and they certainly do not like to go headfirst into projects where they doubt their competence.

It sounds like this is the sort of project that you do indeed have the right aptitude for, but it will be stressful as you are going to be thrown into making decisions that you may not have had enough time to consider all the million and one options for before hand. That can be the frustrating part. Also; working with someone else. The dynamic here is crucial for success.

If anything, go in and try it for a while. You are going to learn in any case, which is great. You can always pull out if it doesn't work out, I have done that a couple of times simply because I could not handle being micro-managed when I was supposed to be independent. Be wary of this as other more forceful individuals may try this on someone who on the surface appears to be quite "easygoing".

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it :)

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Remember:

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
Rertrand Bussel

I'm sure you've got the opposite of the Dunning-Kruger effect!

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Oh gods save me. Or even better burn me up right now. Strike me with lightening.

I just had to act a part in a promotional film for this. It was the worst thing I think I've ever had to do.

Okay, so maybe not the worst. It WAS high on the list though.

:rip:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Oh gods save me. Or even better burn me up right now. Strike me with lightening.

I just had to act a part in a promotional film for this. It was the worst thing I think I've ever had to do.

Woo hoo!

Just think of how much you are being STRETCHED by this to become a better, more well-rounded person. You are so fortunate! :D

:phear:

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
While I appreciate the enthusiasm Jenny I think we both know I'd rather a knife to my eye. Thankyouverymuch.

Top Bottom